MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 01-13-2011, 12:59 PM   #1
Homebrewed Q
Take a breath!

Default Practicing half chix this wknd, thoughts?

Hello Brethren! Finally firing up my new BWS Fatboy this weekend and am going to throw 4 half chickens on for practice (IBCA style), as this is my weakest category, and will be running on a comp style schedule. My questions are these: Brine or no brine, rub under the skin and on top, inject or not, and sauce/glaze or not? I did read the comp forum guidelines and they said this should be posted on Q-talk but feel free to move if I'm in error
Thanks in advance for your assistance!
Homebrewed Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-13-2011, 01:16 PM   #2
Southern Home Boy
is One Chatty Farker

Not familiar with IBCA, but I'll toss my $.02 in since you asked:

Brine, not injection. IMHO, birds take brine flavors very easily and direct injecting can either over do it, or discolor the meat in an uneven way. But be careful. You can over brine too. Make sure you rinse the bird well with cool, fresh water before you season it and to make sure you get all the extra brine out from under the loose skin.

Definitely rub under the skin. I make a compound butter with the same rub I put on the outside and smear that all under the skin; breast, thigh and leg.

Decide on sauce at the end of the cook. If you've got good color and moistness, I'd forego the sauce. If it's dry or you think the color is off, a good glaze can cover a variety of mistakes.
Pro Q Frontier, UDS (Little Red), "Turtle Drum" UDS, CG Gasser KCBS CBJ#61160
Southern Home Boy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-13-2011, 01:27 PM   #3
BobBrisket

Name/Nickname : Bob

I'd just recommend trying some things that are out of your norm. That way you have a basis for comparison.
PBC-Courtesy of Poobah, 22.5 Weber Kettles-A, K, DR Stamped, 18.5 Weber Bar-B-Kettle Black and Red, Weber 18.5 Smokey Joe Platinum, Weber Genesis Silver, Lil' Chief Smoker, Discada Set Up,OKJ Highland Offset.
BobBrisket Jr.-MUDS, WSJ Silver
My BEST Compliment....."You're a good cooker, Dad!"--My Son :)
Miss You, Marty and Bull! RIP
BobBrisket is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 01-13-2011, 01:38 PM   #4
Homebrewed Q
Take a breath!

I've only done one comp so far (IBCA), and from what I understand they pull the skin off.

Old 01-13-2011, 01:46 PM   #5
BobBrisket

Name/Nickname : Bob

Gonna move this to Comp section so the folks there can give you specific advice.

Bob
PBC-Courtesy of Poobah, 22.5 Weber Kettles-A, K, DR Stamped, 18.5 Weber Bar-B-Kettle Black and Red, Weber 18.5 Smokey Joe Platinum, Weber Genesis Silver, Lil' Chief Smoker, Discada Set Up,OKJ Highland Offset.
BobBrisket Jr.-MUDS, WSJ Silver
My BEST Compliment....."You're a good cooker, Dad!"--My Son :)
Miss You, Marty and Bull! RIP
BobBrisket is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 01-13-2011, 02:15 PM   #6
thillin
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homebrewed Q View Post
I've only done one comp so far (IBCA), and from what I understand they pull the skin off.
Only if they can't cut through it with a plastic knife.

There's a fine line between a top 10 chicken and a raw chicken. Must be juicy.
Mini BGE-adopted 1/31/08 CL Score
Traeger 075-adopted 12/3/11 CL Score
Weber 1 touch CL Score
Weber Spirit 500 CL Score
Weber Smokey Joe Silver CL Score
BLUE & RED Thermapens
Klose 20x42-SOLD

Paddlin Pigs BBQ
Ty
thillin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-13-2011, 02:19 PM   #7
Scottie
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Brine it for about 16 hours...

Red Jambo one off
FE 100
FEC 100
WSM
Homer Simpson 22 " Weber Kettle
Red 18 1/2" Weber Kettle
Black 26 3/4" Weber Kettle
Scottie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-13-2011, 02:59 PM   #8
btcg
Babbling Farker

HQ,

Square off the chicken, scrape a bit under the skin... and brine for at least 12-16 hours. Rub, and cook.

You've got an excellent water cooker. You're gonna make the family drool over how good your chicken is, trust me.

Old 01-13-2011, 03:43 PM   #9
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by btcg View Post
HQ,

Square off the chicken, scrape a bit under the skin... and brine for at least 12-16 hours. Rub, and cook.

You've got an excellent water cooker. You're gonna make the family drool over how good your chicken is, trust me.
Square off a half chicken?

Homebrewed... Since you'r practicing, try one half brined, one half no brine, and then also do one half with a dry brine.

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/Weber Q1000/Blackstone Camping Griddle/Pit Boss Pro Series 850
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-13-2011, 05:03 PM   #10
Homebrewed Q
Take a breath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_L View Post
Square off a half chicken?

Homebrewed... Since you'r practicing, try one half brined, one half no brine, and then also do one half with a dry brine.
I'll definitely try the dry brine as one of the methods. Thanks Ron! And to btcg, IBCA requires fully jointed half chickens at turn in, so cannot square off but can certainly trim up and make 'em look purdy.

Old 01-13-2011, 05:07 PM   #11
Homebrewed Q
Take a breath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Home Boy View Post
Not familiar with IBCA, but I'll toss my $.02 in since you asked:

Brine, not injection. IMHO, birds take brine flavors very easily and direct injecting can either over do it, or discolor the meat in an uneven way. But be careful. You can over brine too. Make sure you rinse the bird well with cool, fresh water before you season it and to make sure you get all the extra brine out from under the loose skin.

Definitely rub under the skin. I make a compound butter with the same rub I put on the outside and smear that all under the skin; breast, thigh and leg.

Decide on sauce at the end of the cook. If you've got good color and moistness, I'd forego the sauce. If it's dry or you think the color is off, a good glaze can cover a variety of mistakes.
Thanks SHB, I'll try the compound butter as well. Question though, real butter or margerine? If real butter I'm assuming unsalted?