• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Wood bark

J

JamesTX

When you use wood to smoke with, do you remove the bark or not?

I usually leave it on, unless there is something funky about it.

Now there is a big debate. I personaly do not remove the bark. Never had a problem with it. I use chunks in with Rancher charcoal. Not a straight stick burner. If the bark has alot of moss on it I try and remove that part.

My friend tried to tell me it would cause a bitter taste, but I'd never noticed it before. I guess if the wood is dry and the bark falls off, I'd leave it on the ground, but I don't go out of my way to take it off.

I always go out of my way to remove wood bark (unless it really does not want to come off).

I believe it is probably a waste of time.

Call me a man of contradiction.

PS. I should point out I remove paper beer bottle labels maybe 65% of the time - no effect on the taste either way that I have noticed.

I leave the bark on but the hickory I use is usually from young trees. I heard you shouldnt burn wood if it old and have fungi growing on it or wood that is rotten.

I always take the bark off. A lot of insects make their home just under and in the bark and sometimes there is fungus growing on it. You can't always see the fungus if it's spores and not yet blooming.

If it wants to come off, I let it but I don't go out of my way to take it off.

I always leave it on unless there is mold on it. I prefer to save any broken off bark chunks (oak especially) for quick flavor when doing burgers & brats.

I always go out of my way to remove wood bark (unless it really does not want to come off).

I believe it is probably a waste of time.

Call me a man of contradiction.

PS. I should point out I remove paper beer bottle labels maybe 65% of the time - no effect on the taste either way that I have noticed.

Interesting. I remove the labels from my beer as well and burn them in my pit (very short burntime) and I've also removed the bark from my wood and placed it in my beer creating a SIGNIFICANT and different change in the taste of the beer. Of course, I too remove any moss from the bark before placing it in my beer. I mean, that just makes sense.

-Gup

You know, certain types of fungus are also hallucinogens.

TG, are you sure some of that didn't get in your beer?

You know, certain types of fungus are also hallucinogens.

TG, are you sure some of that didn't get in your beer?

You're talking about MUSHROOMS. I don't burn those or put them in my beer. I use them as ear plugs for protection from the loud noises at the archery range.

:lol:

Back