Exploding chicken and potatoes-danger

jonboy

is Blowin Smoke!
I thought that i would post a few pictures of last nights dinner.
I marinated some chicken breast in a bourbon apple juice marinate while i ran a few errands. Running a little late for dinner i decided to bake the breasts instead of grilling. Bad mistake.
I put the chicken and another dish of potatoes in the oven.
These are the results.
I thought about plating these up for the photo. :rolleyes:
This is what happened. Now i have glass infused bourbon chicken.:twisted:
The bake ware was Anchor Hooking Co purchased from wally world the past month. It was room temperature and placed in a preheated oven 375.
About 10 mins into cooking it exploded. I researched online and there are several pages of these dishes exploding. One site has 27 pages of accidents.
Another site the manufacturer denies any problems with the cookware.
Another claims the recently purchased co has changed the formula.
You be the judge.
No one was hurt in this accident unlike many of the others online. There was no damage done, only a hungry family. The chicken didn't fare so well.:lol:
Just wanted to post a heads up for everyone to be careful if you have these dishes in your cabinets.
I am in the process of cleaning up the mess. Thankfully it wasn't some kind of gooey sticky casserole.:lol:
jon

Attachments

• DSCN1627.jpg
    DSCN1627.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 370
  • DSCN1624.jpg
    DSCN1624.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 367
  • DSCN1626.jpg
    DSCN1626.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 366
Kabloooiee!!!
So....I have to stay away from Pyrex and Anchor Hooking Co....check!

Too bad about the foods.

Last edited:
I have heard about it happening, even with Pyrex. I was told Pyrex is no longer made with Borosilicate glass, and is now made with a cheaper compound. I can't confirm it, but I'd be willing to bet Anchor is made pretty cheap.

:eek:Wow!

Glad no one was hurt!

That must have been a really large dish to get close to 15 potatoes in it.

Actually 17 potatoes...3 for dinner and several for twice baked and re fried in cast iron.
Online it sounds like original glass has been changed to soda glass in the usa.
There are 27 pages of accidents and the company still denies a problem...:(
Does anyone have a suggestion for casserole pans that are not glass?

Maybe time to think about a enamel covered cast iron...$$

jon

Foil pans don't explode. Easier to clean too. And they make nifty hats.

I have become a big fan of stoneware. It does break on a rare occasion but does not explode like tempered glass. It also cleans up easy with hot water. Over the years I have only had one pizza stone break and one 12 muffin stone break in half.

Wow...glad no one was hurt, what a drag to lose the great looking grub...no problems with my pyrex, but I'm kinda paranoid now.

I too am glad no one was hurt... I'm also glad that all of the Pyrex I have is older than dirt....

Back