MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-30-2013, 09:43 AM   #1
ctfortner
Knows what a fatty is.

Default UDS Build - My weber lid fits without modification?

I have a spare Weber lid and I kind of wanted to build a UDS and see what all the fuss is about, plus have a smoker that I can take with me places without much effort. I came across a reasonable priced barrel that was used for apple juice concentrate and brought it home this past weekend. I havent burned it out yet, but I did want to see how much modification I would have to do on the lid. It fits right on there like Weber made the barrel.

Is that unusual? I had been reading a couple of days on cutting the weber bottom of and adding to the drum, using metal strap, flatten the lip, etc... So I put the barrel top on the weber, its a perfect match also. I just thought was strange because I havent found any other threads saying theirs fit, so maybe I am missing something, but I dont know how it could fit any better than it does?

Mine has a yellowish tan liner in it, does it burn out easily? I am going to hit it with 2-3 pallets and I do have a weed burner also.

Cute couple

Liner

ctfortner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-30-2013, 09:45 AM   #2
cpw
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Chad

It all depends on the barrel. All I had to do was grind the outside edge of my barrel a bit (I had a closed top), and the lid fit like a glove. You just got lucky!
Yoder YS640
Savannah, GA
[URL="http://www.facebook.com/yesdearbbq"]Yes, Dear BBQ on Facebook[/URL]
Proudly sponsored by Royal Oak Charcoal and [URL="https://www.atlantabbqstore.com/"]The Atlanta BBQ store[/URL]
cpw is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-30-2013, 09:47 AM   #3
hav
is one Smokin' Farker

You got lucky, most have to (including me) MacGyver something to get it to fit.

Congrats on the drum, now go burn it, scrape it, season it and get her ugly!
14" Table Top Kettle Grill; Turkey Fryer; [B][I][COLOR=red]Rapid-Fire-Red[/COLOR][/I][/B] Thermapen!; [COLOR="SeaGreen"][B][I]Mini, Small, Medium & Large BGE![/I][/B][/COLOR]
hav is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-30-2013, 09:48 AM   #4
Bluesman
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jon

I believe many have found the lid to fit. Really depends on the barrel you get. The only problem you will run into to is the hot grease from the Weber lid rolling down the outside of your drum. The Weber lid fits inside the kettle. The Weber lid on a UDS fits outside the drum. Either way you'll have a great cooker. Now, burn it out get it clean and then get er dirty.
2010 Brick Red Touch n' Go Performer
Kitchen stove
Bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-30-2013, 09:51 AM   #5
jrn
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpw View Post
It all depends on the barrel. All I had to do was grind the outside edge of my barrel a bit (I had a closed top), and the lid fit like a glove. You just got lucky!
Mine too!

Old 01-30-2013, 09:52 AM   #6
MisterChrister
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Even if the worst case scenario presents itself and it's a tough paint to burn out it'll be well worth it for a drum that fits your lid like that. Just drill your intake holes before your burn out for good oxygen supply to the fire and you'll be good. Great score!

Old 01-30-2013, 09:54 AM   #7
scm1226
is one Smokin' Farker

Sweet Set up. Definitely save the top from the drum. I keep it on my kettle and use it as a table when I am smoking/grilling.
scm1226 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-30-2013, 09:56 AM   #8
jrn
Full Fledged Farker

Oh yeah. Not sure if you'll ever want to use your original drum lid or not, but be aware that heat from a fire will warp it. Use a angle grinder with a wire wheel. Or if you decide to have your drum sandblasted, have the lid done too.

Old 01-30-2013, 09:59 AM   #9
ctfortner
Knows what a fatty is.

Sounds good, ready to get her dun. Anyone have experience with this liner? Wondering how bad its going to be to get cleaned out. I will save the top and just clean the coating off of it.

Old 01-30-2013, 10:03 AM   #10
HankB
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesman View Post
The only problem you will run into to is the hot grease from the Weber lid rolling down the outside of your drum. The Weber lid fits inside the kettle.
to be pedantic...

The Weber lid fits the outside of their kettles. The lid on a WSM fits inside the middle section.

The lid on my mini-WSM does fit outside the middle section and moisture condenses on the inside of the lid and dribbles down the outside of the cooker just as you describe.

Old 01-30-2013, 10:11 AM   #11
Neonnblack
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctfortner View Post
Sounds good, ready to get her dun. Anyone have experience with this liner? Wondering how bad its going to be to get cleaned out. I will save the top and just clean the coating off of it.

If you can drop the coin have it sandblasted, hands down. I tried (notice i said tried) to burn mine out no luck, after i burned it had to use a flap disc on a grinder and grind out the whole drum. Its dirty, it took me over an hour and i still had some left over in the "beads" around the drum. Have it sandblasted.
Neonnblack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-30-2013, 10:19 AM   #12
Bluesman
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jon

Quote:
Originally Posted by HankB View Post
to be pedantic...

The Weber lid fits the outside of their kettles. The lid on a WSM fits inside the middle section.

The lid on my mini-WSM does fit outside the middle section and moisture condenses on the inside of the lid and dribbles down the outside of the cooker just as you describe.
and I had to lookup "pendantic"............
2010 Brick Red Touch n' Go Performer
Kitchen stove
Bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-30-2013, 10:21 AM   #13
HankB
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:

And thanks to me I bet you'll never forget that.

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-30-2013, 10:22 AM   #14
ctfortner
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
I did to, and had to read the definition a couple of times. Better at cooking than big words I guess

Old 01-30-2013, 10:24 AM   #15
jrn
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neonnblack View Post
If you can drop the coin have it sandblasted, hands down. I tried (notice i said tried) to burn mine out no luck, after i burned it had to use a flap disc on a grinder and grind out the whole drum. Its dirty, it took me over an hour and i still had some left over in the "beads" around the drum. Have it sandblasted.
I agree 100%. Good advice. I used the blue one. I'm thinking it was 60 grit. It worked awesome for grinding the lip on my closed top when I was fitting my lid. Conforms to a round surface better. Don't use a hard disk. I ruined my last drum like that.

I used the blue one the other day under my 4wd Dodge. Grinded the heads off of two hardened steel 9/16" bolts when I was swapping out control arms. The blue discs are bad to the bone. Got mine at lowes.