MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 08-24-2005, 07:54 PM   #16
Jeff_in_KC
somebody shut me the fark up.

Charity event... cool idea! And it could be great national exposure for the Brethren... but then why limit it to just us? BBQ Brethren could be contest organizers and make it a contest open to everyone... I'm just thinkin' with my sore head again...
KCBS Member #14287
Jeff_in_KC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-24-2005, 08:07 PM   #17
parrothead

Quote:
... but then why limit it to just us? BBQ Brethren could be contest organizers and make it a contest open to everyone...
That is one headache that I would not want.

American Picker Blog
parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-24-2005, 10:22 PM   #18
jgh1204
Babbling Farker

can you make it an "open" and allow us gassers?

Old 08-25-2005, 08:39 AM   #19
MoKanMeathead
is One Chatty Farker

or... we could oganize a cook for returning servicemen - something Operation BBQ For Our Troops. Let the servicemen (and their families) judge it like a People's Choice" contest. Just another thought.
MoKanMeathead is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-25-2005, 08:53 AM   #20
Jeff_in_KC

Wayne, the only problem I see with that would be that units come back at different times. How would we decide when to hold the event without offending someone who's loved one was coming home later? But I do think you're onto something there.
KCBS Member #14287

Old 08-25-2005, 09:02 AM   #21
Arlin_MacRae

I agree. I think Guard units tend to come back en masse, though, don't they?

Primo Oval Junior, Traeger Model 075 Pellet Pooper, Big Chief, Kingfisher Kooker 14" gas/wood combo, PBC Brethren Edition, Pit Boss NASCAR Tailgater
Home Brewer, Murderer of Squirrels, Armadillo Inspector
Flaming Pig Head Mod
Certified KCBS Master BBQ Judge
Arlin_MacRae is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-25-2005, 09:18 AM   #22
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Name/Nickname : Phil

Be really cool if this can be coordinated.

Multi locations, multi states........ Here in NY, We have a national guard HQ right by the local airport.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-25-2005, 10:28 AM   #23
Jeff_in_KC

Great idea, Phil! A nationwide BBQ Brethren event! Damn, we would rock!

Hello America! Let us introduce you to some farkin' Atomic Buffalo turds, dino turds and smokin fatties!
KCBS Member #14287

Old 08-25-2005, 11:53 AM   #24
Jorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_in_KC
Wayne, the only problem I see with that would be that units come back at different times. How would we decide when to hold the event without offending someone who's loved one was coming home later? But I do think you're onto something there.
I'd suggest checking with your local armory and finding out when they drill, and if it would be possible to set up and cook for the troops and their families after approx. 1800 hrs. Ask for the 1st Sgt. or Ops officer.

Keeping Valspar in BBQ, one cook at a time.

Recipient of a Huggies box!

Shut up, and cook!!!!
Jorge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-25-2005, 01:32 PM   #25
icemn62
Babbling Farker

We SoCals have enough trouble trying to find a location and time to meet and drink. Do you really think we could include the difficult task of competitiion type cooking at the same time. But an interesting idea still in all.

I AM LOVING THE SMOKE

WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may create the illusion that you are tougher,smarter, faster and better looking than most people.
icemn62 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-12-2005, 10:31 AM   #26
parrothead

Here is a thought. The weekend of the bash, there is a cookoff as someone mentioned before in midstate Illinois. I met the guy that hosts this this weekend. He has unlimited space to set up. basically 200 acres. I asked him about site size, and he said, "how much ya want, twenty acres?".

We could have our bash there next year, with as many brethren teams competing as possible. We could have a big central area for us all to hang out in, with individual kitchens around the outside.

I know the mofos would be have no problem getting their stuff there, but teams from further away, maybe we could scrounge enough gear for them.

Something worth pondering anyway.

American Picker Blog

Old 09-12-2005, 10:37 AM   #27
chad

So, who's going to judge?

Sounds like a plan - if enough guys show interest why not see about getting it sanctioned? Getting sponsors shouldn't be that big of a deal and established teams are used to paying the fees.

Prize money would be nice but not essential for a "fun cook" type thing - but I'd be looking at, what, 3000 mile round trip. Maybe Kingfisher or another cooker manufacturer would be interested in providing cookers.

Just a couple of thoughts to muddy the water! :D

"It's all about getting paid!" - Myron Mixon
"I love being hated in my hometown!" - David Hair

KingFisher Gator Rotisserie cooker (RIP), WSM (RIP), Stainless 5 burner with IR gas grill (RIP), Turkey Fryer, Weber JD Commemorative grill (RIP), Masterbuilt 40" insulated ELECTRIC smoker (new heating element),
Pit Boss Tailgater pellet pooper.
chad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-12-2005, 10:52 AM   #28
parrothead

Quote:
So, who's going to judge?
He already has that stuff set up. This is a competition that is already going on. They are doing the big 4 already, I think he is working on it being KCBS. I told him to join up with us. If he does, we can ask him all about it.

American Picker Blog

Old 09-12-2005, 10:53 AM   #29
chad

I just had another thought (dangerous, eh? Two in one day!):

We've got a couple of reps/promoters (Jim & Arlie that I know of) - maybe they could give you/us some guidance on making this thing happen and turn into a tru "braggin' rights" event.

"It's all about getting paid!" - Myron Mixon
"I love being hated in my hometown!" - David Hair

KingFisher Gator Rotisserie cooker (RIP), WSM (RIP), Stainless 5 burner with IR gas grill (RIP), Turkey Fryer, Weber JD Commemorative grill (RIP), Masterbuilt 40" insulated ELECTRIC smoker (new heating element),
Pit Boss Tailgater pellet pooper.
chad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-12-2005, 12:34 PM   #30
jminion
is one Smokin' Farker

I can get you guidelines for sanctioning if you want and would be willing to help if I can.
WSM
Primos
Klose
couple of Ranch kettles
jminion is offline   Reply With Quote