Sope de Carne Asada con Nopalitos

Greendriver

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
My favorite food is Mexican and the little Sope allows you to add a lot of good ingredients all of which I love. Nopalitos (cactus paddle) kinda reminds me of green beans and even looks kinda like French cut green beans once they are trimmed, and boy are they good when you cook em with tomatoes, onions, and bout 50 cloves of garlic. They do have to be par boiled and drained a couple of time to get the okra like slimy stuff off of em before use. They make a good Sope for someone trying to steer away from meat for whatever reason. I like the Sope both with meat and Nopalitos or just one or the other. The salsa verda was made from scratch, beans from dried, and tomatoes from our garden & canned in our kitchen - fresh, made from scratch is what makes a dish and will allow you to use some pre prepared ingredients like these little sope shells and still have a winner.

SDC11206.jpg

SDC11200.jpg

SDC11201.jpg

SDC11202.jpg

SDC11207.jpg

You're a long way from Mexican food country....so; it all looks double good.

WOW!!! Looks fantastic. Nopalitos are good eats. Man, I'd so hit those. And I agree........meat and beans are a great combo, especially on those sopes. What kind queso did you use? And it that crema fresca on top? You rocked that meal. Nicely done. :eusa_clap
Reminds me of my Mom's Mexican Pizzas. Beans in red chile sauce with muenster cheese on top. Good eats.

Very nice job, from the accidental sope maker.

GreenDiver, that's an excellent looking Sope. Nopalitos are so good. We make them for Lent. Nopalitos con Huevo and Tortas de Camaron con Nopales. Very nice job - congrats.

GreenDiver, that's an excellent looking Sope. Nopalitos are so good. We make them for Lent. Nopalitos con Huevo and Tortas de Camaron con Nopales. Very nice job - congrats.

I gotta thank you for the shirmp and nopales idea.

I gotta thank you for the shirmp and nopales idea.

Well the shrimp is actually camaron seco (dried shrimp) that is toasted a little bit then ground up. You make a relleno batter and add the dried ground up shrimp in there and make little spoon sized tortas (round little shrimp patties)..... Then you prepare a red sauce with the nopales and throw in the shrimp tortitas and let them soak up that wonderful sauce. It's a very traditional Mexican dish for Lent.

Here's a picture , but the sauce is way too light and the tortas look a little burned hehe but it's a good picture to get an idea.

2757686043_8d12774a56.jpg

tortasjessicas.jpg

Well the shrimp is actually camaron seco (dried shrimp) that is toasted a little bit then ground up. You make a relleno batter and add the dried ground up shrimp in there and make little spoon sized tortas (round little shrimp patties)..... Then you prepare a red sauce with the nopales and throw in the shrimp tortitas and let them soak up that wonderful sauce. It's a very traditional Mexican dish for Lent.

Here's a picture , but the sauce is way too light and the tortas look a little burned hehe but it's a good picture to get an idea.

Mexican is my fav food and we've ate lunch at all the local places so much and for so long I have become pretty familar with it and become good friends with some of the restaurant owners. I've been to one of their weddings, a 15th birthday deal (?), cooked with them at their home once, and even sold one of em a big ol smoker to cook for his restaurant with. When I first saw your post about using shrimp I wondered to my self if it might be dried. I bought some one time and never got around to using it as the wife just was not into it and was turned off by it. I think I'll fix some like you described and eat it all myself. It looks and sounds sooo good.

And for Christmas, Santa (aka Greendriver) I want the recipe for the carne asada and the salsa verde and I have been a very good boy:biggrin:

Dang that looks good! :-D Nice job Greendriver!!

Back