MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-04-2009, 10:54 PM   #1
ShortEnd
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default How can I get a hamy tasting turkey?

I have a friend who remembers her dad's smoked turkeys were always very "Hammy" tasting. She really liked that. Being the good friend that I am, and having some knowledge of smoking that I have, I have been trying to duplicate that for her. Well, here's the rub. I can't seem to get the job done and it's driving me nuts!! I've smoked 5 turkeys so far these past few weeks, using different brines and degrees of smoke intensity. They all seem to come out very mild with a nice light smokey flavor, but not Hammy like she wants. I know most folks would say, "Hell, just get a Ham". Ya, but that's not going to solve the problem of getting a turkey to taste like one. She said he got a pack of seasoning, and soaked it for a couple of days in the fridge, then smoked it in an old horizontal smoker made out of barrels. OK. That tells me everything I need to know.

Can anyone, please tell me how I can make a Turkey taste like a Ham?
ShortEnd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-04-2009, 10:58 PM   #2
txschutte
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Salt. The salt may "cure" the turkey if you apply it days in advance.

Or, during the process of brining the turkey, simply skip the rinse.

First I have heard of this, but to each his own!

If you really care about this place, you'll show some respect for it.

Your beard is so stupid, it took two hours to watch 60 Minutes.
txschutte is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-04-2009, 11:04 PM   #3
mbshop
Babbling Farker

brining a enhanced turkey will do it. course then you smoke it. i brined a turkey once and it was very hammy. i didn't like it.

Old 12-05-2009, 08:29 AM   #4
Smokin' Teddy T
Got Wood.

Default How to get a Turkey to taste like Ham...

Meanwhile back at the ranch...suggest you breed a pig with a turkey. You still won't get a pig that can fly, but you will get a turkey that "eats" like a pig.

On a more serious note...possibly the answer lies in exploring how traditional hams are cured (not smoked), and maybe this is the way to do the turkey?

Old 12-05-2009, 08:45 AM   #5
Roo-B-Q'N
is One Chatty Farker

Just make her a TurHoggen a turkey in a hog

I would imagine that the bag of spices also included a curing agent. Like mentioned above see what goes into curing a ham and you should be able replicate.
Large Spicewine, Backwoods Smoker (Party), WSM, Oklahoma Joe's Offset, Wood Fired Oven
Roo-B-Q'N is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-05-2009, 08:58 AM   #6
bigabyte
somebody shut me the fark up.

I did that this year, made some hammy tasting turkey. Everyone loved it. I brined the birds in a 1 cup salt and 1 cup sugar per gallon ratio brine solution for 24 hours, and smoked them with pecan at 275. It's kind of important to smoke a little lower for deeper smoke ring penetration. The hammy flavor really comes out with the enhanced smoke ring along with all the salt and sugar.
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-05-2009, 09:13 AM   #7
Kevin
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I made some turkey legs that tasted like ham one time. I didn't write it down so I'm not sure, but I think Tender Quick was in the brine and the time in the brine was pretty long like bigabyte said. Maybe 24 hours.

Old 12-05-2009, 10:29 AM   #8
Learnin Querve
Full Fledged Farker

What about using Tenderquick or some sort of salt/nitrate cure? Maybe inject it to get it into the deep enough into the breast as well as brine it in the same solution.

Chris
Learnin Querve is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-05-2009, 10:30 AM   #9
WeberQ
Got rid of the matchlight.

When I have the pig-bird fans comin' over for for chow I'll general use a light brine overnight, and drag out my el cheapo Brinkman, and smoke smoke slow and low with walnut. Put the ham up top let it baste the turkey on the lower rack. I keep my temps around 275. Takes for bloody ever but you get a deep ring and that Hammy taste every time.
WeberQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-05-2009, 10:40 AM   #10
chefst
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

Brine with #1 type curing salt (you can also throw in some other type seasonings such as pickling spice)for 48 - 72 hrs depending on size of bird. Smoke low temp, around 250 approx. 6-10 hrs, depending on size of bird.
chefst is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-05-2009, 11:00 AM   #11
Goose
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigabyte View Post
I did that this year, made some hammy tasting turkey. Everyone loved it. I brined the birds in a 1 cup salt and 1 cup sugar per gallon ratio brine solution for 24 hours, and smoked them with pecan at 275. It's kind of important to smoke a little lower for deeper smoke ring penetration. The hammy flavor really comes out with the enhanced smoke ring along with all the salt and sugar.
This will do it if- also add some spices to the brine, clove, nutmeg,bay leaf ect. a splash of molasses to.

Old 12-05-2009, 11:23 AM   #12
ShortEnd
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Thanks for the replies. I'm getting some ideas here. I've done turkey legs that came out kind of hammy. I like them that way. I used tenderquick on some of my turkeys, but maybe the brine didn't penetrate as much as it could have, because of the thickness of the breast. I thought about injecting, but was afraid of getting it too salty. Don't have a lot of experience with injecting. What do you guys think?

I have some ACJ All Purpose Cure (6.25% Sodium Nitrite) that I got from the Sausage Source. Is that the same as #1 powder? I haven't used it yet, but may give it a try.

I wondered about a cure longer than 48 hrs. Would that have tendency to make the surface meat get a little mushy?
ShortEnd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-05-2009, 02:01 PM   #13
elvis67
Full Fledged Farker

Try the tender quick

Old 12-05-2009, 02:27 PM   #14
QuietOne
Full Fledged Farker

I did it by accident. I was going to cook a 22lb turkey and I put it in the brine on Saturday afternoon. Sunday morning we had an emergency out of town. The turkey was in a heavy honey maple brine for almost 6 days.

I figured what the heck, I rinsed it, soaked it over night, rinsed it, and did a soak again for 6 more hours patted dry and cooked it. Definitely hammy tasting. Too long in a strong maple brine. It wasn't good in my opinion. I like the taste of turkey with hints of maple and smoke. Couldn't even tell it was turkey to be honest.
QuietOne is offline   Reply With Quote