MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-09-2013, 11:31 AM   #1
code3rrt
Babbling Farker

Default First PBC cook-chicken pRon

Here's my notes from my first PBC cook.
Decided to try the chicken halves as a first try. I went to the PBC website and watched the video just to refresh my memory. I figured I would simply do as directed. Here is how it went.

First I filled my basket with KBB, doused with lighter fluid, which I don't normally use, lit'er up and went inside to prep the chicken.

Chicken prep:

Seasoned one half with Plowboy's Yardbird, the other half with Pit Barrel All Purpose.

Took me about 10-15 minutes to prep the chicken, checked the PBC at 20 minutes and it was ready to go as advertised. I threw in a fist sized piece of hickory for smoke.

hung the chicken. Now is where things take a little turn. Per the video on the PBC website, it says to walk away for 2 hours, come back and it's done. Well, that was my intention, my plan was to follow the video exactly. At an hour and 20 minutes I just couldn't help myself and had to take a peak, really glad I did.
The chicken looked a bit darker than I expected to see, so I pulled out the ET-732 to check things out. Normally I would have had it on from the start, but I wanted to trust the process. Well, the PBC was running at 325*+....HUH? and the chicken was 160-170 IT.......Wuh?
Sooooooo, The PBC running hotter than advertised, so I have to consider changing the intake vent a little. Just FYI, the outside temps were around 31*F, no breeze to speak of.
Needless to say, pulled the chicken immediately, loosely tented to rest while the rest of the dinner finished.

And then the finished plate.

Now if I had been cooking this on my Kettle, I would've been cooking in the 325-350 range and had my ET-732 running from the start. As you can see, the chicken is a bit dark, not to bad tho.

Overall, I caught it in time, the breast meat was a tiny bit dry, but not bad. The dark meat was absolutely delicious, very juicy. When I was cutting up the finished product, I was kind of surprised at how tender it was, the leg meat pretty much just fell off the bone. I loved both seasonings, both very tasty. The rest of the dinner was fine.

So my take-aways here are that I need to consider adjusting the intake, this is my most likely course. Or, I could leave as is and just adjust cook times to accomadate.

I was a little disapointed at the cook temps running higher than advertised, but at least I caught it in time.

Perhaps Patio Dadio or Noah, if he sees this, have some comments or advice? Or anyone else for that matter.

Hope I didn't carry on too long here, I just figured that with all the folks on here that are trying the PBC's, I'd offer a more detailed report.

Thanks all,
KC

Old 02-09-2013, 12:03 PM   #2
Oldbob
is One Chatty Farker

That is a Fine Looking Plate !! Probably a good thing You checked it when You did though !!
Weber Gasser Genesis Silver A
Pit Barrel Cooker
Maverick ET-732
VietNam Veteran US Navy
May you Sleep in Peace always...and Please....Thank a Veteran for That Privilege!!
Oldbob is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-09-2013, 12:09 PM   #3
Carolina gamecock
On the road to being a farker

maybe the wood chunk threw it off some??

Old 02-09-2013, 12:47 PM   #4
flyingbassman5
is one Smokin' Farker

Next time try a minion style burn instead of letting all the coals get white hot. I have much better luck lighting 10 briquettes and placing them in the center of a filled basket. Let them get settled in the barrel and once the sweet blue rolls, put the meat on.

Chicken still looks great though!

Old 02-09-2013, 12:48 PM   #5
Dallas Dan
is one Smokin' Farker

Good thing you went with your gut feeling. Looks tasty!

Old 02-09-2013, 12:49 PM   #6
Pit Barrel Cooker Co.
Got rid of the matchlight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by code3rrt View Post
Here's my notes from my first PBC cook.
Decided to try the chicken halves as a first try. I went to the PBC website and watched the video just to refresh my memory. I figured I would simply do as directed. Here is how it went.

First I filled my basket with KBB, doused with lighter fluid, which I don't normally use, lit'er up and went inside to prep the chicken.

Chicken prep:

Seasoned one half with Plowboy's Yardbird, the other half with Pit Barrel All Purpose.

Took me about 10-15 minutes to prep the chicken, checked the PBC at 20 minutes and it was ready to go as advertised. I threw in a fist sized piece of hickory for smoke.

hung the chicken. Now is where things take a little turn. Per the video on the PBC website, it says to walk away for 2 hours, come back and it's done. Well, that was my intention, my plan was to follow the video exactly. At an hour and 20 minutes I just couldn't help myself and had to take a peak, really glad I did.
The chicken looked a bit darker than I expected to see, so I pulled out the ET-732 to check things out. Normally I would have had it on from the start, but I wanted to trust the process. Well, the PBC was running at 325*+....HUH? and the chicken was 160-170 IT.......Wuh?
Sooooooo, The PBC running hotter than advertised, so I have to consider changing the intake vent a little. Just FYI, the outside temps were around 31*F, no breeze to speak of.
Needless to say, pulled the chicken immediately, loosely tented to rest while the rest of the dinner finished.

And then the finished plate.

Now if I had been cooking this on my Kettle, I would've been cooking in the 325-350 range and had my ET-732 running from the start. As you can see, the chicken is a bit dark, not to bad tho.

Overall, I caught it in time, the breast meat was a tiny bit dry, but not bad. The dark meat was absolutely delicious, very juicy. When I was cutting up the finished product, I was kind of surprised at how tender it was, the leg meat pretty much just fell off the bone. I loved both seasonings, both very tasty. The rest of the dinner was fine.

So my take-aways here are that I need to consider adjusting the intake, this is my most likely course. Or, I could leave as is and just adjust cook times to accomadate.

I was a little disapointed at the cook temps running higher than advertised, but at least I caught it in time.

Perhaps Patio Dadio or Noah, if he sees this, have some comments or advice? Or anyone else for that matter.

Hope I didn't carry on too long here, I just figured that with all the folks on here that are trying the PBC's, I'd offer a more detailed report.

Thanks all,
KC
KC- Please take advantage of our customer service and give us a call, our direct line is on every PBC 303-249-9069. We can get you on the right track. Thanks!
Pit Barrel Cooker Co. is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 02-09-2013, 01:03 PM   #7
jmoney7269
Banned

If I remember correctly, pbc wants you to use lighter fluid on the full charcoal basket outside of the pit till it ashes over. Then add the charcoal basket to the barrel and then your meat on hooks. The cold meat and non preheated pit should yield around 280 average. Good thing you went with your gut on this one. Can't wait to see someone do a properly cooked brisket on these things
jmoney7269 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-09-2013, 01:53 PM   #8
BobM
Babbling Farker

It looks good!
| [COLOR=RoyalBlue][COLOR=Red]Weber[/COLOR] 18 1/2" & 22 1/2" WSM[/COLOR], [COLOR=SeaGreen]22 1/2" & 26 3/4" OTG[/COLOR][COLOR=DimGray][COLOR=Black],[/COLOR] [COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]Genesis S-330[/COLOR][/COLOR] |[COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Black]|[/COLOR] BBQ Guru CyberQ WiFi [/COLOR]| [COLOR=DarkOrange]Maverick ET-732[/COLOR] | [COLOR=Gray]Gray Thermapen[/COLOR] |
BobM is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-09-2013, 02:04 PM   #9
slammmed
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmoney7269 View Post
If I remember correctly, pbc wants you to use lighter fluid on the full charcoal basket outside of the pit till it ashes over. Then add the charcoal basket to the barrel and then your meat on hooks. The cold meat and non preheated pit should yield around 280 average. Good thing you went with your gut on this one. Can't wait to see someone do a properly cooked brisket on these things
Not according to the videos you light it in the barrel.
slammmed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-09-2013, 02:21 PM   #10
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

Someone did a brisket in one, I saw the post on here a while back.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-09-2013, 02:27 PM   #11
jonboy
is One Chatty Farker

Chicken looks great.
Do you season the pit or is that something you let develop over time?
jon
jonboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-09-2013, 02:31 PM   #12
Oldbob
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by landarc View Post
Someone did a brisket in one, I saw the post on here a while back.
This might be the Thread You were talking about

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ht=pbc+brisket

Motoeric's first cook on his New PBC !!
Weber Gasser Genesis Silver A
Pit Barrel Cooker
Maverick ET-732
VietNam Veteran US Navy
May you Sleep in Peace always...and Please....Thank a Veteran for That Privilege!!
Oldbob is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-09-2013, 02:32 PM   #13
jmoney7269
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by slammmed View Post
Not according to the videos you light it in the barrel.
Ok
jmoney7269 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-09-2013, 03:40 PM   #14
Titch

Name/Nickname : Titch :-)

Good catch,the Chicken looks good from here.
when you find out the fix let us know,just interested.
Wonder how much postage it would cost to ship one here
cheers.
Titch
Titch is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-09-2013, 03:44 PM   #15
bigabyte

Looks great from here!
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote