MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-29-2013, 11:24 PM   #16
martyleach
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I use my bandsaw. Much safer than a table or miter saw. Goes real fast too. Sorry you don't have one :)

Custom wooden handles for BBQ's made by Marty Leach (oh, that's me)
[url]http://www.amlwoodart.com[/url]
martyleach is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-29-2013, 11:26 PM   #17
caliking
is One Chatty Farker

I bought a 12" blade for my sawzall which can cut through nails embedded in wood. About 5" from HD. Works pretty well.
[FONT=Arial Narrow][B]EZ wood handled 3 wheeler | OTS | OTS mod to OTG | [COLOR=red]Ladybug[/COLOR] SS Performer | UglyDrumTandoor | UDS v1 | midi UDS with [COLOR=red]red[/COLOR] [COLOR=black]nipples[/COLOR] | SJG smoker mod | Simpsons SJS | [COLOR=black]Simpsons[/COLOR] OTG | WGA charcoal | SJP | Stacked brick WFO | Lodge Logic Sportsman's Grill cast iron hibachi/sigri | [COLOR=green]LBGE | sbge | [SIZE="1"]mini bge[/SIZE] [/COLOR] [/B][/FONT]
caliking is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-30-2013, 03:32 AM   #18
N8man
Babbling Farker

I also use a sawzall to make chunks from splits...

How I Fire Up That Ugly DrumPit Smoker!!!!
N8man is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-30-2013, 07:38 AM   #19
ButtBurner
Babbling Farker

I have a cheap sawzall from Harbor Freight I think I paid $17 for it on sale

been using that for awhile now

I dont have a miter or table or band saw or i would use those instead

could use a circular saw too, clamp the splits in a vice and have at it
ButtBurner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-30-2013, 10:01 AM   #20
flyingbassman5
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyleach View Post
I use my bandsaw. Much safer than a table or miter saw. Goes real fast too. Sorry you don't have one :)
I'm sorry I don't have one either :( I would love more shop equipment but my shop just isn't big enough. Oh well.

Thanks for all the tips guys! I think I'll give the miter saw a shot and see how it goes. If not, I'll break out the circular saw I forgot I had

Old 01-30-2013, 12:47 PM   #21
HeSmellsLikeSmoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

Someone here posted about this electric handsaw a few weeks ago. Might work well.

Black & Decker PHS550B 3.4 Amp Powered Handsaw with Storage Bag
$50.19 at Amazon

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=149805

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle

Last edited by HeSmellsLikeSmoke; 01-30-2013 at 01:27 PM..
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-30-2013, 03:09 PM   #22
polishdon
Full Fledged Farker

If using a miter saw, I'd recommend eye protection and wearing a glove on the hand holding the piece of wood. Also move your blade slowly through the piece, I had a couple kick back on me and destroy my old saw.

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-30-2013, 06:03 PM   #23
HeSmellsLikeSmoke

Dang! Such great advice I just bought one of those Black and Deckers for myself.

How do I thank myself on here?

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle

Last edited by HeSmellsLikeSmoke; 01-30-2013 at 06:55 PM..
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-30-2013, 06:28 PM   #24
BBQMaverick
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingbassman5 View Post
So after the big saturday of splitting wood, I've enough hickory to last me a good long while. The only problem I have now is how to get it cut down to chunks that are usable in my cookers. I've pondered a few of the possibilities and haven't come up with a good way to do it. Power tools WILL be involved though!

Are there any brethren out there that have done this before? How did you get your splits cut down into chunks? Let it be know, I do not currently have access to a chain saw nor would I want to try to cut hundreds of 3" pieces with one..

I do have, however, a small (12" I think) miter saw, jigsaw(not that it would do much good), and hand grinder with wood cutting blade. Anybody think I could make due with just those?
I would watch this beginning shows miter

I cut my wood (rounds) to size and then split with a maul. If you want certain size chunks (2"-5" or larger) cut your rounds to that size and split into chunks. I get my chunks from what I call disk cuts. You don't drop a tree at the very bottom or right next to the ground. Cut it down at a safe working distance lets say 2-3 ft above the ground and cut your disks off that or large limbs or where you get to a lot of knots in you logs.

Be careful and wear safety equipment.
BBQMaverick is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-30-2013, 08:42 PM   #25
BBQdisciple
Full Fledged Farker

My right foot and a sawzall up on the first step of the deck. same principle as the miter, plus you get a little rush of excitement
BBQdisciple is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-30-2013, 09:01 PM   #26
flyingbassman5
is one Smokin' Farker

Here is a pic of the splits I'm gonna chunk.

I think I'm set on using the miter saw but will move it outside instead since my shop vac decided to burn out its motor a month ago. I think Saturday is the target project day since it will be little bit warmer and hopefully climb into the 50s. Right now its just too farking cold in the evening to be out in the wind and occasional sleet.

Again, here is the pic of the wood splits. I picked out rounds with what I thought was for sure hickory bark on them and split them myself, so I'm 95% sure this is all hickory. I'll leave the other 5% up to you guys. Please, let me know if you think it is something different and what it otherwise might be. Thanks fellas!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20130130_152302_380.jpg (73.7 KB, 67 views)

Old 01-30-2013, 09:04 PM   #27
Untraceable
Babbling Farker

When your cutting, make 3" disks and let them dry, as you need them, a hatchet splits them nicely
Untraceable is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-30-2013, 10:14 PM   #28
charrederhead
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Pete

i use my sawzall.

Old 01-30-2013, 10:31 PM   #29
thillin

I have broken the fence on my miter saw cutting chunks. be careful if it's a nice one. Also gets a little scary holding a split with a spinning blade so close to your hand.

Thinking of making a fence out of angle iron and adding a hinged foot long handle to hold the splits in place and add a little extra distance between my hand and the blade.
Mini BGE-adopted 1/31/08 CL Score
Traeger 075-adopted 12/3/11 CL Score
Weber 1 touch CL Score
Weber Spirit 500 CL Score
Weber Smokey Joe Silver CL Score
BLUE & RED Thermapens
Klose 20x42-SOLD

Paddlin Pigs BBQ
Ty
thillin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-31-2013, 10:31 AM   #30
luke duke
is One Chatty Farker

Bandsaw is the way to go. A miter saw will work, but it isn't very safe.
luke duke is offline   Reply With Quote