MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-15-2012, 10:41 AM   #1
Boogan1
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default Re-heating smoked turkey

I am pretty new to smoking but starting to get a rep around here and have had several people approach me about smoking turkeys for them for thanksgiving. I need some advice on how to smoke them ahead of time and then they re-heat them and they not be all dried out. I know you guys will have some great answers. Thanks!!
Boogan1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-15-2012, 12:52 PM   #2
Grizzly6
Full Fledged Farker

I am not an expert on this, but I would think you could smoke the turkeys to an internal temp of 140 then take them off and put them into the fridge. Then on Turkey day, put them into the oven at about 350 or so to crisp up the skin and finish to the proper internals.

Thoughts??
DUCAN Affinity - gasser
Mini UDS (For the 12 yr old of course)
Extreme amounts of awesome to assist
12 yr old who loves to cook, and an 9 yr old who is
getting interested
Grizzly6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-15-2012, 01:58 PM   #3
samfsu
is one Smokin' Farker

I would agree with Grizzly6. That is what I would do.

Old 11-15-2012, 02:20 PM   #4
Callahan-que
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly6 View Post
I am not an expert on this, but I would think you could smoke the turkeys to an internal temp of 140 then take them off and put them into the fridge. Then on Turkey day, put them into the oven at about 350 or so to crisp up the skin and finish to the proper internals.

Thoughts??
The only problem with this is Boogan1 will be relying on the people he's smoking them for to do the reheating and bringing them up to the proper finishing temps.

Old 11-15-2012, 03:19 PM   #5
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

Name/Nickname : Tim

I have no idea what technique, if any, would work safely.
I do suggest you wait for some food service pros who are probably at work now for some clear guidance,

I never tell someone else what to do.
But, I personally never, ever, sell poultry to anyone under any conditions-- especially partially cooked.
Just me.

I do cook a Thanksgiving meal of Turkey Breast and sides for a shut-in elderly couple we know. But, I control it from start to finish and it is a gift, not a sale.

Good Luck.

TIM
Just sold Yoder YS640 due health
New Ninja Woodfired Grill for Christmas 2023
The_Kapn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-15-2012, 03:42 PM   #6
Hambone1950
On the road to being a farker

I have done this a few times and my best advice is to cook the turkey completely day 1.
(this way you know it's done)... Refrigerate until you want to serve it. Now , a few hours before you want to serve it ,carve the turkey cold and put the carved meat in a large baking dish with a little bit of broth or just some of the juice from the bird in the bottom. Cover the dish tightly with foil and put it in the oven at 300-325 or so until its hot...maybe up to an hour depending on how much you reheat. I've also done it in a slow cooker and that works well also. Trying to reheat the whole bird in the oven is an invitation to dry meat.

Old 11-15-2012, 04:43 PM   #7
NickTheGreat
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Kapn View Post
I have no idea what technique, if any, would work safely.
I do suggest you wait for some food service pros who are probably at work now for some clear guidance,

I never tell someone else what to do.
But, I personally never, ever, sell poultry to anyone under any conditions-- especially partially cooked.
Just me.

I do cook a Thanksgiving meal of Turkey Breast and sides for a shut-in elderly couple we know. But, I control it from start to finish and it is a gift, not a sale.

Good Luck.

TIM
I am NOT paranoid of getting sick from food, but I really don't like the idea of partially cooking the bird, and finishing later.

Old 11-15-2012, 04:49 PM   #8
Bludawg
somebody shut me the fark up.

I reheat mine in a pot of Gumbo. Enchiladas. and Tetrazini.