• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

How To do KC style burnt ends without brisket?

Honestjbone

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Reaction score
Thursday is my birthday and I wanna do some KC style burnt ends on the smoker for FRIDAY appetizers

Friday I'm having family over and for my birthday I'm cooking up some barbecue of brisket whole packer Texas style, pulled pork, sausages, white bread pickled onions sauce etc

So what kind of beef can I use to kind of get some KC style burnt ends WITHOUT going a whole packer.?????? I know the point of the brisket is where it's at but I just want something quick cheap and gets a smiliar job done

I don't wanna buy 2 packers cause of $$$ and room in my WSM.

Thank you!

Chuck Roast or Squirell....... Or just buy a Brisket Point only..........

There are a few Butcher shops in my area that will separate the two muscles to sell separately. Any quality butchers in your area?

I cant think of anything that would get you quite the same texture as a brisket point. Short ribs or a chuck roast slightly undercooked and then cubed, sauced, and finished is about the best substitute I can think of.

Edit: got sidetracked. By the time I posted there were several replies. Sorry for the repeat info.

Yea I mean I'll ask a couple local butchers around if they can do that, THEY SHOULD you would think but the butchers in my area (Chicagoland) are kind of jerks sometimes and got a snippy attitude.

Chuck roast figure....

50/50 salt pepper, paprika, turbo sugar for a sweet dark crystallization.

Cook till tender, maybe even wrap in butcher paper, till done

Then burnt end it the rest of the way

Chuck won't be authentic BE's. Prolly good eats...but not the same as BE. You must use a brisket point...I have never tried doing just a point...but should work.

Chuck won't be authentic BE's. Prolly good eats...but not the same as BE. You must use a brisket point...I have never tried doing just a point...but should work.

Cubed up point isnt authentic burnt ends either. Burnt ends were originally the irregulars with tons of bark that didn't make for good sliced.

I know the point of the brisket is where it's at but I just want something quick cheap and gets a smiliar job done
I don't wanna buy 2 packers cause of $$$ and room in my WSM.

Thank you!

Happy birthday!! I don't know about Illinois but where I live Chuck Roast is $4.99/lb and choice Brisket is $3.18/lb. Maybe you could find a small packer and freeze the flat for later! Good luck!

This is probably a silly question, but why not just use the point that's on the packer that you are cooking ?

"So what kind of beef can I use to kind of get some KC style burnt ends WITHOUT going a whole packer.??????"

To get reasonably close, w/o filling up your cooker doubling whole briskets, a faster cooker by quite a bit, possibly less$, not sure about availability for ya.....but tri-tip will do what you want, see the cook link above ^^^

Hour @ 325 ~~~>
3-6-2013Beef083.jpg

Sauce if you want......

I got a 5 lb brisket point from a local independent grocery store that has decent meat department. They had to order it and it took a couple of days. I tried the only real butcher shop in the area and they just gave me a puzzled look.

It's been rubbed and wrapped and is marinating a bit before going on the smoker. This is my first attempt at burnt ends, so we'll see how it goes. I'm getting hungry just thinking about them.

Back