Independence Day Brisket - pr0n

Smoking Westy

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I had a dozen or so folks over for a little Independence Day celebration yesterday and got to spend some time cooking and relaxing, weather was absolutely gorgeous - about 80, sunny with a little breeze. Brisket, cowboy beans, pasta salad, potato salad, caesar salad, cheese and crackers, veggie tray, guacamole dip with chips, taco dip, beer cheese dip and some other assorted fruit made up a majority of the spread.

On to the two stars of the show - Old Glory and beef brisket!

12.5 pound choice brisket from Sam's - getting ready to be trimmed up

Trimmed and seasoned generously with Oakridge BBQ's Black Ops

On to the kamado at 300 degrees with a four chunks of cherry and a couple small sticks of hickory.

1 hour in, just had to take a quick peek.

4 hours in - pulled at this point and wrapped in butcher paper (rocking Bludawgs method)

Mixed up a batch of cowboy beans

Right at 6 hours the brisket was probe tender so I pulled it and started the rest.

Random shots of some of the spread

Sweet tea and lemonade

Apple pie shine...

I didn't get a shot of the brisket before slicing but this was my best do on brisket. Tender, moist, survived the bend test yet with a gentle pull it would come right apart. This was my first brisket wrapped in butcher's paper and my first one in the kamado - I will be using both going forward!!

Best compliment is nobody reached for the BBQ sauce that I had set out...

My little one and a big 'ol chunk of watermelon!

My plate - round #1

Dessert - my wife's fruit pizza

And my boy's first sparkler with homemade "spark guard"

Very nicely done! We don't even get to do sprinklers here in Monkey County, MD -
no not my parents - the .gov says they are too dangerous.
Keep cookin!

Outstanding Westy! Looks like the perfect way to celebrate. :grin:

Thanks everyone! Chopping up the remainder of the point tonight for supper - looking forward to having a sandwich or two. :hungry:

Back