Slept like a baby......and awoke to brisket !!!

DubfromGA

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I gotta admit upfront.....this was not one of my better briskets.....even though it was one of the more expensive briskets I've bought.

It was a select cut that was not on sale.....but I walked into the store yesterday wanting brisket.....so a mini packer is what I came out with.

The weather forecast for yesterday was showing intermittent showers......0% one hour......80% the next.....all afternoon. Thus the indoor burgers and the break in the action to set up my kamado with Royal Oak Red and hickory chunks.

I've got some really good FoGo lump....but it was out in the garage and I didn't feel like going to get it.

On my long weekends off work I leave a bag of lump right by the backdoor and thats what I grabbed. This Royal Oak red bag is decent and the local Walmart sells it for $8-$11 a bag. No complaints from me.

7Yb8l5B.png

rgw7J8n.png

I cheated and used a fire starter tab. These things make is crazy easy.....especially if rain has you hesitant to drag out the drop cord and have more fun doing it with the Joe Blow lighter. I swear....sometimes I think the reason I like grilling so much is because I get to play with fire and play with knives. :thumb:

Temps came in line with where I wanted to roll on this cook as I was prepping this brisket.

sDEmET7.png

I didn't have my favorite brisket rub on hand and used a fresh can of Plowboy's Bovine Bold that I'd been meaning to try.

mYUZDAQ.png

I didn't bother to trim a single piece of fat off this brisket.....just hit it with some roostershire sauce.......sipped on a rum-based BLD (big liquor drink) and coated it in rub.

czTxPuO.png

Went to bed after watching 2 episodes of Game of Thrones with my wife. Checked on the grill.....all was well. I left it alone to let it ride all night.

Temps were at 220 this morning.

The brisket looked good....smelled good......the bark was a bit darker than my favorite rub.

1ZIosVH.png

Believe it or not.....at the time of that pic....it was only 170 degrees internal. I double foiled it and put it back on and let it ride a few more hours until it probed tender in every corner and the center. Not sure the temp at that point as i was just using a wooden skewer to poke with.

I sealed the foil down and brought it and wrapped with towels and left on the counter until showtime.

Showtime consisted of using the grill some more.....left the vents slightly open to keep it rolling along during the day (one of the benefits of kamado grills.....you aren't out much if you simply let them run on low temp until needed for further cooking).

My tunes for this part of the cook:

uXPzTdA.png

I put 4 medium baking sized potatoes on the grill and let them cook until they were also probing tender.

Sliced them into chunks and dumped in a large bowl with cream cheese, sour cream, green onions, jalapeños, butter, white onion, half'n'half, S&P, garlic powder and that beloved substance....Crawtater Sauce.

Bxy7I8H.png

Hit the bowl hard with the potato masher and good things happened.

MEluTfi.png

While doing this, I'd placed a pan of fresh asparagus on the kamado. They had both olive oil and red wine vinegar on them along with some KJ vegetable rub. This has quickly become one of my favorite side dishes.

i forgot to put cheddar on the mashed potatoes......nobody even asked....so it must have been okay.

3BWtdd7.png

G6K4fQV.png

What is really funny is that I was 30 years old before I had beef brisket for the first time. Growing up in Eastern North Carolina meant that my understanding of BBQ meant pulled pork & chicken.

I spent 5 weeks out in Oklahoma with my job and was properly introduced to beef brisket and killer steaks. It was one of the things that sparked my wanting to learn to cook the stuff for my family.

We freaking love brisket.......even mediocre ones like this one.

I love grilling on my day's off !!!!!!!!:rockon::rockon:

I swear....sometimes I think the reason I like grilling so much is because I get to play with fire and play with knives. :thumb:

I completely agree. For me, tending the fire is a great form of relaxation. That, along with an appropriate adult beverage!

Those Kamado Joe Big Joes are one great smoking machine. Load the wood and charcoal once, light, and never fuss with the fire again until the smoke is done. I am getting old enough that I really value my sleep.

Looks great! See you are a Pirate fan! From that area myself, brother actually got his undgrad degree there, then off to VT to get his graduate degree.

I completely agree. For me, tending the fire is a great form of relaxation. That, along with an appropriate adult beverage!

Nothing better, in my opinion.

Taking a seat on the deck and smelling the grill smoking away....sipping a drink and watching the dogs chase squirrels in the back yard......relaxing !

Those Kamado Joe Big Joes are one great smoking machine. Load the wood and charcoal once, light, and never fuss with the fire again until the smoke is done. I am getting old enough that I really value my sleep.

I hear ya. They are steady performers.

That looks wonderful! I'm thinking a Kamado or a Big Green Egg is in my future.

They are very, very versatile grills. Kamado Joe's come with an excellent rack system and attractive cart & shelves....heat deflectors and tools.....everything you need to get up an running. Just add lump charcoal and smoking wood and you are rolling.

I've been very, very happy with my Kamado Joe.

Looks great! See you are a Pirate fan! From that area myself, brother actually got his undgrad degree there, then off to VT to get his graduate degree.

Yessir. I graduated from there with my undergrad....as did my wife who went on to get her Masters from there, too.

Great place with some great memories.:thumb:

Last edited:
Amazing! how long did the Joe hold its temp for without adjustments? I have yet to go overnight on my Joe.

Nothing better, in my opinion.

Taking a seat on the deck and smelling the grill smoking away....sipping a drink and watching the dogs chase squirrels in the back yard......relaxing !

I hear ya. They are steady performers.

They are very, very versatile grills. Kamado Joe's come with an excellent rack system and attractive cart & shelves....heat deflectors and tools.....everything you need to get up an running. Just add lump charcoal and smoking wood and you are rolling.

I've been very, very happy with my Kamado Joe.

Yessir. I graduated from there with my undergrad....as did my wife who went on to get her Masters from there, too.

Great place with some great memories.:thumb:

Amazing! how long did the Joe hold its temp for without adjustments? I have yet to go overnight on my Joe.

I seem to recall going to bed at 11:00pm and it was 220-230 degrees on the dome therm.

I checked it again the next morning around 5:45am and it was running 210-220.

I didn't use a remote thermometer as my old Maverick has finally given up the ghost after 5+ years of good service . Back when I had it in use things were easier to monitor. I'd take the remote and put it on the nightstand and glance over at every so often.

I generally prefer to actively grill and be more hands on.....but the results I get with butts and briskets at ~225 is simply more desirable than the results I get when I rush it. The overnight cooking allows the stuff to take it's time and work through the stall at it's own pace.

I've thought about buying a pit fan & controller....but honestly the cost of doing so would go a long way towards other grilling gear that I'd like to have....and this thing runs so stable as it is.

What is really funny is that on this cook I didn't hand place the larger pieces in the bottom and build up my coal bed from there....I simply raked out the ashes and ensured the fire grate holes were clear and dumped the lump in....dropped the hickory chunks on top and lit it.

I did remove the pieces that covered the five holes in firebox to ensure good air flow there. I always try to remember to do that and it seems to yield good results on steady temps.:thumb:

Great looking cook! Love my Big Joe I may have to find me some brisket, it's been a while.

Looks awesome!! :eusa_clap I love my BGE but ususally do the high heat sear work with it. May give the Pellet Poopers a rest this weekend and use the Egg for some Low and Slow.

After seeing your post I ordered some Crawtater Sauce. Anything it's not good on?

I've tried it on a number of things and have yet to find a bad combination.

It's a righteous topping on a baked potato for sure.

It also goes well with hash browns & sausage....spread 'em out in the pan and drizzle the sauce over the top and stick the pan in the grill or oven and cook it all together.

I've got another idea for it that I want to try, but my grilling is slowed down while I recover from the current back spasms I've been having. Doc loaded me up with new meds and new instructions for over the weekend. Hoping that this will knock it out.

I'll post up my double secret squirrel Crawtater cook in a week or two when I'm back in action.:thumb:

Back