New...from Texas

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bluedog

Hey there,

Love to cook outdoors and in the market for a smoker - strongly considering the bandera since i can't afford Klose's price tag at the moment.
I work for an oilfield drill pipe manufacturer in QHS&E, twin 5 year old boys, and great wife.

Thanks for all of the great info here...
One question though, does the Char-broil version of the bandera still have an NB tag on it?

Thanks

Jeff Bratcher
Katy, Texas

Welcome Jeff, looks like everyone else here is sleeping in.

I've never seen the Char-Broil version so I don't know what badging is on it.

If you can find any of the different versions I would suggest you pick it up.

Agian, welcome to the mayhem.

Welcome

If you check out all the Academy Stores in town, you might even find a real NB. I think the first Charboil still had the label (still made in China) but I could be wrong. Read all the FAQs - these guys really know the facts :!:

R

will do...

i will check the faq's, and the packaging at academy for any indication.

One more quick one...

Would Big Al's fire basket negate the need for the grate upgrade in the box?

Bluedog, I would consider Al's basket to be the ultimate firebox mod. He has recently come up with a mod that allows it to be used in the Brinkmann cooker too. No matter which model you find he can hook you up.

Welcome, lots of laughs and good tech help and cooking info here. Feel free to ask anything, the variety of opinions is one of the best things we have to offer. No matter what your particular situation you'll get helpful responses. Best of luck on your search, sku #s of the different units at the home improvement places have been posted recently, they can help get you a unit in at your local store. Forum search will help you find what you need.

Welcome Bluedog. You are wise to buy a cheaper smoker first, learn to use it, and make your family beg to cook. Then it is much easier to convince the wifey to go for a better one. The Brinkman and Bandera smokers are not lifetime smokers, while the Klose probably is (depending on how you take care of them).
get
No matter what smoker you chose, this is a good place to learn and share Q stories. Quite a bit of BS too. :roll: Let us know what smoker you buy and don't be afraid to ask questions.

Welcome Bluedog..

Als basket DOES NOT replace the firegrate. You dont use bothe at the same time though, you use one or the other. The basket is for extended burn times using mostly charcoal(always kingsford) or lump and you dont want to bother firetending.. The firegrate is for when your using all (or mostly wood) and want to spend some quality time with the bandera. Those summer days, tending fire and drinkin cold beers is therapy among along of us. The basket gives ya some "away" time. If your one that doesnt want to bother tending fire and plan on using mostly charcoal, the basket is there, but for all wood cooking, you need the grate.

i use the basket just for lazy q... most of the time its the grate and a load of logs.

Bluedog, a hardy WELCOME :!: :D

Now we got Bluedog and Bigdog, think I'll change my handle to Olddog, or maybe just OldFarker.....

Yes the basket eliminates the need for expanded metal grate for the fire box and has many advantages over the grate, including a longer fire box life because the fire is not in contact with the fire box metal. See details in the For Sale Forum.

My Basket will fit either the Bandera or the Brinkman but the Brinkman model cost $10 more because it requires legs. The Brinkman is $249 at Lowes and the Bandera will be about $289 at HD or WalMart, if you can find one anywhere (you have to go look for yourself, it is a waste of time to call'em).

Good luck on you search!

Phil has a point, but my basket will also accomidate 15 inch long logs with the dividers removed and because hard wood is non native and therefore soooooo expensive here I cook with Kingsford Charcoal using wood for smoke flavor. Basket just allows more quality drinking time while Qing. :D

sku's?

OK, i have the china version of the dera in the garage. BUT... I want to exhaust the possibility of a NB version sitting on a shelft nearby. I have done a search for bandera sku's and not having much luck. If anyone could point me in the right direction, i would appreciate it.

kinda wondering if there is even a chance of this (non-china model nearby). When did CB buy them anyway?

Thanks everyone - china or US - i am gonna have fun with it!

Bluedog...

bluedog - I believe the Academy stores still have the NB version of the Bandera - it
sells for $229. I saw one at the 99/I-10 store today.

If, for some reason they are out, the Academy in Sugarland has some.

But - I don't think they show up on the Academy website. You can call the
Academy stores and find out. They will know what you are talking about (unlike
Home Depot....)

Oh yeah. Welcome to the group.

Hey bluedog,

Welcome!!!!!

I am realativley new to the group, and have already learned a whole lot from the brothers. Lots of good info and a plain ole good time. Good luck finding a NB bandera, here in So Cal I cant even find a CB one. Anyway congrats on the Bandera, I look forward to hearing about all the fun you are having..

Mooook

Welcome,

And don't just go by a Made in China label, cuz some of the NB's of some members here had the China label too (older models, not just recent)

Welcome the the bunch. Good luck on the search :D

However, you must realize that this bunch will use any cooker at anytime!! Most important thing to remember is "low and slow" -- you can't rush 'que no matter how hard you try :mrgreen

"And don't just go by a Made in China label, cuz some of the NB's of some members here had the China label too (older models, not just recent)"

Hope this is right. Every other possible indicator tells me it was made in NB, but it does say made in china on the outer box.

Racer 81 - I did pick mine up Sunday at the Academy 99 @ 10. Still in the box while i am traveling - just in case...

Thanks for the help everyone, it is very helpful!

Bluedog said:
Racer 81 - I did pick mine up Sunday at the Academy 99 @ 10. Still in the box while i am traveling - just in case...

Wow. Small world. When my wife and I were there on Sunday, somewhere between 2 and
3 PM, there was a Bandera on a dolly at the front of the store. I told my wife - Cool, somebody's getting a Bandera. Perhaps that was yours!

I think the Academy Bandera is the one you want.

that was mine

Yep, that was mine.

So, in your opinion, could that have been on made state-side?

Should have you come by something to test my product - give me pointer & all.

Might have been made state-side. But more than likely made before CharBroil buyout.

Academy has had ample stock of these for over 1.5 years now, so I'm thinking they
bought a ton of them a while back and have been supplying stores out of that inventory.

Price has been fixed at $229 for that same timeframe.

HomeDepot, on the other hand, has some CharBroil branded Banderas for a much
higher price. I think those are overseas built units.

Welcome, Bluedog!! I just picked up a 'dera on Easter weekend (Had a NB Silver for a couple of years prior to that) and I LOVE mine. I was lucky enough to find an old NB Bandera so I didn't have to worry about the CharBroil's quality, or lack of. I got mine at Home Depot, FYI.

I'm new to this group of loonies too, but I can tell ya you won't find a better band of Q'ers out there.

Arlin

Ok, i am going to relax now. Tired of stressing over the thing before it is even out of the box! Time to make my shopping list for mods and look forward to putting it together this weekend.

Starting to wonder if i should by a few more to hold for future buyers????

Hope to be printing some brisket and ribs recipes and tips soon!

This site has made my purchase an informed purchase - thanks. Hopefully, i can develop some skills or mods to reciprocate.

Bluedog

fyi - handle is from my blue weimaraner - she is the best damn dog i ever had!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back