• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Chilies from Ashmont

sampson

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Sometime back Brother Ashmont generously sent me this great package of dried peppers, well being the weenie I am, I hadn't done anything with them yet. So today we changed that...

Here's the bag o' peppers...
100_3488.jpg

After lightly toasting them in a pan, I covered them with boiling water and let them soak for about an hour, resulting in these
100_3495.jpg

After removing the stems, I sent the peppers to the food processor and added about 2 cups of the water that I had drained from soaking them. And ended up with this thick, rich and OH MY HECK HOT sauce.
100_3499.jpg

Then seeing as I was whoopin' up on a pot of brisket chili anyway, I used this instead of the several types of chili pepper called for in the recipe, 3 TBS was enough for about 2 gallons of the brisket chili...
100_3502.jpg

Not sure what I'll do with the rest of the chili sauce but for now I'll store it in a jar covered with olive oil in the fridge... Thanks again for the peppers Ashmont!

So THAT's what you do with those bags of dried chilies.

Looks GRRREAT!

I think I'm going to make some hot sauce this weekend now. Thanks for the motivation.

Out here is SoCAL we have Carnicerias (mexican meat markets) everywhere. There's one about 10 mins away that is VERY gringo friendly (english everywhere, people all speak english, its CLEAN and looks very sanitary (not always the case). They carry all kinds of dried peppers and not dried ones.

If anybody wants some, or has a specific pepper that they want, I'll be happy to send some your way.

Hey, 82 - What a nice offer - I have access here in Florida but that sure was a great thought on your part - thanks:wink:

Not sure what type of pepper those were he sent Samson - I think they were arbol that is one of the hotter varieties of Mexican peppers. That would explain the hot sauce that was hotter than heck:-D:-D

Are they dried cayennes? That's some tasty looking sauce you've made!

Did he send a snow cone to wipe your arse with? No? Start eating ice cream.

Cowgirl, cayenne was my other thought but to my knowledge, Mexicans don't use cayenne, at least by that name. But with some of them being curly, I thought they might be - arbols usually are pretty straight - at least the ones I have seen. You need to put a dollop of his hot sauce on your camping eggs benny:wink:

Look like De Arbol to me too.
Hey sampson, you didn't toast those peppers in the house did you? I toasted some on the stove and we had to air the house out for three hours. Made me cough every time I took a breath.

Great job Sampson! Gonna have to make some brisket chili..... Now that Shane found a diamond in the rough..... I might just send some to......... Wyatt. Yum!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back