MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-27-2013, 09:08 AM   #1
ryanfx
Found some matches.

Default killed a brisket

In both meanings of the word!

I cooked it until the flat become tender (it had to go up to 200), wrapped it in 3 layers of foil and let it hang out for a while. Chopped up the point and made some burnt ends.

The flat was essentially inedible (it crumbled when I tried to slice it), however the point was some of the most delicious meat I've ever eaten.

It was 13lbs, took about 13 hours, and I didn't wrap anything. I'm thinking I'll try wrapping next time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0136.jpg (103.2 KB, 331 views)
ryanfx is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->

Old 02-27-2013, 09:11 AM   #2
Jaskew82
is One Chatty Farker

The point, because it is so fatty, can handle a lot more time than the flat. Glad it was tasty though... brisket can be a bitch.

2013 Stumps Classic - Delivered 4/15/13
Large BGE - Rescued 2012
2010 WSM 22.5"
2010 Weber genesis gas grill
Rescued 22.5 Weber One-touch gold
Yellow Thermopen
BBQ Guru CyberQ
2011 Built UDS - Retired
Jaskew82 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-27-2013, 09:20 AM   #3
Bludawg
somebody shut me the fark up.

Listen to Me!!! You over cooked it wrapping in Foil. When it is already 200 deg it to continue to cook in the foil for hrs. Forget all the Nonsense about internal temps of meat unless it is poultry, A brisket is properly done when it probes tender in the flat.
If you insist on wrapping, wrap in Butcher paper. Since your 13 lb brisket took 13 hrs I assume your in the 250-275 temp zone I would wrap between 5.5-6,5 hrs into the cook and leave it wrapped until it is ready to be served. Since you have discovered the nirvana that is Point I suggest you slice it next time and not waste it on burnt ends then decide which you prefer. Also slice against the grain not with it on the point and the flat. The grains of each portion run 90 deg from each other. The portion in the picture is sliced with the grain had you turned it to cut with the grain you would have had a different result.

BBQ RULES

"YOU CAN NOT COOK GREAT BBQ ON A CONSISTENT BASIS COOKING TO AN INTERNAL TEMP OR BY TIME(XXX MIN PER LB) YOU MUST COOK BY FEEL!"For a Brisket that is probe tender, Pork Butts when the Bone wiggles lose, Ribs pass the Bend Test. These are the only reliable methods to indicate the proper time to declare the cook completed with success.

Last edited by Bludawg; 02-27-2013 at 01:35 PM..
Bludawg is offline   Reply With Quote

5 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-27-2013, 09:27 AM   #4
aawa
Babbling Farker

Bludawg - He said he cooked the flat till it was tender, so he was cooking by feel. He also said he didnt wrap it while cooking, but wrapped it for resting. He just mentioned that the internal temperature just happened to be 200 degrees and that he wrapped it for resting.

First off your flat was overcooked. When you let it rest the flat continued to cook and the foil held the temperature for a long period of time. I would suggest putting the brisket in a pan and just wrapping the top to retain moisture while resting, instead of tightly wrapping the brisket in 3 layers of foil, that or just rest it on the cutting board for 1-2 hours before slicing. This will allow heat to dissipate a little bit better which will limit the carry over cooking.

Last edited by aawa; 02-27-2013 at 09:44 AM..
aawa is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from:--->
Old 02-27-2013, 09:30 AM   #5
DownHomeQue
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : DHQ

I wouldn't waste the flat... make chili!

[URL]http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=148660[/URL]

250 Gallon Offset Build (2012)

[URL]http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=211078[/URL]

600 Gallon Offset Build (2016)
DownHomeQue is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-27-2013, 09:45 AM   #6
SmokinJohn
Babbling Farker

killed a brisket,
killed a brisket,
killed a brisket right now...
next time you should listen to BluDawg
killed a brisket right now...

Old 02-27-2013, 10:00 AM   #7
CarolinaQue
is Blowin Smoke!

I agree with not wasting the flat and add it to chili or make beef enchiladas or some other beef dish.

Regarding what happened, I agree with aawa. Next time I would just tent it with foil for 30 minutes or so and then wrap it to hold until serving time. I've also pulled brisket a little early (in the 195* range) and wrapped for holding with good results.

[COLOR=darkred]“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.”[/COLOR] - Mark Twain

- Beautiful family
- Home made trailer mounted reverse flow offset w/ vertical chamber, Weber OTG and an ECB
CarolinaQue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-27-2013, 10:49 AM   #8
whiteboycustom
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

i cooked a brisket for 13 hours saturday night in my insulated cabinet smoker, it had plenty of moisture from water in the water pan but the outside of the brisket was just charred and extremly hard to cut since i did not wrap at all, i couldnt even get the IT over 195..............i made chopped beef anyways so it didnt matter

whiteboycustom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-27-2013, 11:49 AM   #9
JS-TX
is Blowin Smoke!

You can hold it in foil, but you should let it vent out in the open for at least 10 minutes or so it can loose excess heat. Triple layer of foil is a bit much IMO unless you plan on holding it on the counter for a few hours. I hold mine wrapped in BP in an empty cooler with a single layer of foil on the bottom and another across the top with an old towel folded in half on top of it all. The foil in the cooler is just to keep the cooler and towel clean(er).

Last edited by JS-TX; 02-27-2013 at 11:51 AM.. Reason: typo
JS-TX is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-27-2013, 12:37 PM   #10
djoseph74
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownHomeQue View Post
I wouldn't waste the flat... make chili!
This is wisdom. Pure wisdom.

I'm still eating my pot of brisket chili 4 days later. Let me know if you want a recipe.

Old 02-27-2013, 12:49 PM   #11
Leadog
Found some matches.

Default Chili

Chili is a great choice. Please share your recipe

Thanks
Leadog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-27-2013, 12:53 PM   #12
djoseph74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leadog View Post
Chili is a great choice. Please share your recipe

Thanks
http://www.stokinnsmokin.com/2011/02...ket-chili.html

I change a couple things though. I don't use beer, I use 1 16 oz progressive beef broth, and then jalepenos instead of chili peppers. I can't even find chili peppers around here. And I only use 1 or 2 tbsp of each spice. I also used 5 lbs of brisket because I like more meat in my chili. I like it thicker.

If you want to set it on fire, add a few sprinkles of cayenne pepper.

Enjoy! I am :)

Old 02-27-2013, 12:57 PM   #13
QDoc
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by aawa View Post
Bludawg - He said he cooked the flat till it was tender, so he was cooking by feel. He also said he didnt wrap it while cooking, but wrapped it for resting. He just mentioned that the internal temperature just happened to be 200 degrees and that he wrapped it for resting.

First off your flat was overcooked. When you let it rest the flat continued to cook and the foil held the temperature for a long period of time. I would suggest putting the brisket in a pan and just wrapping the top to retain moisture while resting, instead of tightly wrapping the brisket in 3 layers of foil, that or just rest it on the cutting board for 1-2 hours before slicing. This will allow heat to dissipate a little bit better which will limit the carry over cooking.
He should have not wrapped. Wrapping allows the meat to continue to cook whether it is on the fire or not. If it is cooked to tender it is done. At that point it needs to cool. It is ok to keep it at around 150-160 to hold it but do not wrap it tightly and by all means don't throw it wrapped in a cooler with other hot briskets.
QDoc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-27-2013, 01:23 PM   #14
Wampus
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS-TX View Post
You can hold it in foil, but you should let it vent out in the open for at least 10 minutes or so it can loose excess heat.
THIS.

I've made the same mistake more than once of cooking it until it was perfectly tender then wrapping it up immediately and holding it, only to find it overcooked later.

With any big meat (butts, brisket, etc) make sure you vent it (open the foil up) until the heavy steam stops, THEN wrap it up and hold it if you need to. It will still be plenty warm, but venting will stop it from continuing to cook.

Still....Bluedawg is spot on (and as usual....VERY quick on the reply )

Old 02-27-2013, 07:49 PM   #15
schmitty28

don't most of you wrap at 165? that's what I do to get through the stall and prevent it from getting too dark in color then vent it when I pull it when it probes like butta