MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Discussion and Reflection > Our Fallen Brother

Notices

Our Fallen Brother Brethren. The threads in this forum are in memory of a fallen brother. Please read what has transpired the week of 9/3/06 and say a prayer for KCquer and his family.

Old 09-08-2006, 12:36 AM   #1
Stachel
Got Wood.

Default Commemorative idea, or part of an idea...

If there's something you'd like to have waterjet cut out of stainless steel, I could volunteer my time to do the AutoCAD & CAM (nesting and the g-code that drives the waterjet cutter or plasma cutter toolpath) for it.

The process would go like:
- I receive a drawing to-scale on graph paper
- I would CAD and CAM it
- You'd send the steel you'd like it cut out of to my waterjet cutter (I can provide info on steel sources I use)
- I'd send the CAD and CAM and work with the machinist in the waterjet machine shop that I use.

Ex: I've thought about doing a custom ABT holder that would be 3-4 arcs to form parts of a circle around my Egg to be very space-efficient so other things can cook in the middle. However, I've never done welding or had it done, so if welding is needed, it'd be up to you to sleuth how to get that done well.

If it's not on a deadline and I could do it with my other parts, I could also have it heat treated and vibratory tumbled (that puts the pretty stone-washed finish on the surface). Doing each of those steps separately (as a batch of Quantity 1) would be cost-prohibitive given the batch fees I pay for the monster-sized-machines I use on my parts. However, adding 1 more to an existing batch probably woudn't be that much.

----------

One of my much-loved-by-everyone business partners / collaborators died in a car accident while coming back from a hunting trip. The sadness and shock expressed here reminds me of then. I just joined this forum and KCquer already took the time to reply to my basic "How to Boil Water" threads.

-----------

Below is a pic of part of an almost-finished part. That pic is post-vibratory-tumbling and was one of my favorite stonewashed finishes (32ra), because all the pretty micro-scratches the process puts into it actually makes it very visually-scratch-resistant compared to other types of finishes. The effect looks different depending on the steel.

Anyway, just an idea. That silver of the stainless on top of the black of your Serious Smoker rigs I see in the pics would be a cool contrast, even in something small.

Edit: Found a pic with a closeup w/out a fingernail!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 32ra-finish_resize.jpg (130.6 KB, 113 views)

Last edited by Stachel; 09-08-2006 at 09:14 AM..
Stachel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-08-2006, 01:59 AM   #2
Doorbusters
Full Fledged Farker

That is cool! I have several ideas I want plasma cut, just never knew anyone who could do it.

Is that your red painted fingernail???
Old 09-08-2006, 09:31 AM   #3
Stachel
Got Wood.

Doorbusters, Yep... Found a pic without it, but you lose the context of size.

Anyway, what I did when I first needed parts cut was just open the phone book and call around to various machine shops. Your local machine shops probably have spare capacity and very competitive rates.

I'm now working with a remote shop that has a 2-arm waterjet, but for small jobs, it would probably be much more economical for you to work with local resources.
Old 09-09-2006, 05:53 PM   #4
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Name/Nickname : Phil

stachel, thangs for that offer.. I think if we come up with some plaques for the trees, it can be a great idea.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote