Two Dolla Knife Sharpener

JMSetzler

Babbling Farker
Name or Nickame
John
Amazon.com: GROOVED CERAMIC KNIFE SHARPENER: Kitchen & Dining@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41dkY8Xy5HL.@@AMEPARAM@@41dkY8Xy5HL

I have been using knife sharpeners like this for a long time. There is a kitchen shop near here that sells them for $1.99 each. I run my knives (single pass each direction) through one of these each time I use them. The knives stay sharp and I have never had any issues. The sharpeners do wear out, but one usually lasts me a year or longer before I spend another two bux.

Now...

After reading lots of threads here recently on knife sharpeners, I'd like for someone to explain to me why I should not use what I'm using. There has to be some valid reason that a $200-300 sharpening system is better than this. I like the looks of those Wicked Edge and Edge Pro systems and I'm trying to convince myself that I might actually benefit somehow by owning one...

I carry one of those in the field with me, or afloat, anytime I go. It is light, quick to use and easy. It also puts a good edge on most knives just fine.

The other far more expensive sharpening systems are for folks who have invested a lot in knives with special bevels and angles on the edges of their knives and want to keep that edge and angle. My Japanese carbon steel and single bevel knives cannot be used with one of those, my Wusthof has a slightly different angle and a compound angle to boot, won't work with that sharpener anymore. It is about detail. My Dexter Russel takes to that $2 sharpener like a duck to water.

I carry one of those in the field with me, or afloat, anytime I go. It is light, quick to use and easy. It also puts a good edge on most knives just fine.

The other far more expensive sharpening systems are for folks who have invested a lot in knives with special bevels and angles on the edges of their knives and want to keep that edge and angle. My Japanese carbon steel and single bevel knives cannot be used with one of those, my Wusthof has a slightly different angle and a compound angle to boot, won't work with that sharpener anymore. It is about detail. My Dexter Russel takes to that $2 sharpener like a duck to water.

Nah, it's about cutting paper and soft tomatos. If you can slice those easily you can cut a nice straight slice of meat.

Well since I started that other thread about the Wicked Edge and Edge Pro and which is better...

The bigger/expensive ones sharpen a wider variety of blades and can take them to mirror polished, scary sharp. Most people probably don't really need such a contraption because they don't really NEED knives that sharp in their kitchen. However if you are a big hunter/sportsman keeping your field knives super sharp is a bonus. I happen to be a professional Chef and use a santoku knife which has a hollow ground or "concave" blade, which those "V" sharpeners don't do a great job with. You might not really need a $250 knife sharpener, and maybe I don't either:rolleyes:, but I use my knife everyday for extended periods of time. The amount of vegetation my knife has cut is probably approaching a ton. I like it to be as smooth and quick as possible, and I can really tell the difference when it is not.

I guess it's based on personal needs and wants. And I WANTS it!

Well, and my slicer is worked on stones, by hand, and steeled and polished, they are sharp. But, the one I use to cut bait, hack a branch down and pound tent stakes, not so much. Each knife has it's use. Each use has an ideal edge shape and polish.

I found one of those in my drawer a few weeks ago. I have no idea where it came from but it does a nice job of putting a quick sharp edge on. Like mentioned, with a $200.00 knife I would not use a $2.00 sharpener...

Those small ceramic sharpeners are included with some of Rapala's filet knives. I have 2 -3 of 'em... and use them too!

If it gives you the edge you like to work with then I guess you're $248 ahead:clap2: I could never get them things to work for me, but some people are more than happy with them.

I have one of them as well. It is a nice contraption and I do use it but it doesn't do anything a knife steel can't.

Why should you not use it? Looking at more like why shouldn't you (generalization) use it properly. Those little guys work pretty good depending on the shape of the blade, but where there could be a problem is folks that think more pressure makes it work better. Pushing down hard will cause too much edge flex as the steel moves between the sticks (tiny space, but trust me there is a space there, and it flexes the steel)and over time your edge will crack lengthwise. I had to fix a knife that my in laws had done this to, on several occasions I had seen my father in law take that knife and go to town with it time and time again, day after day. I even mentioned this to him sayin the edge will crack (but what do I know, right? haha), and sure enough I ended up having to take the knife to the belt grinder. Didn't really bother to say told ya so cause I was the one doing the manual labor to fix his mistake.

So the simple answer is don't press like you're angry and that little guy will work great, as it is already for JM.

I think I remember someone saying that those cheaper sharpeners tend to take more steel when they sharpen.

Really comes down to how they sharp, what kind of material is on the stone. I know the higher end ones have different grits and take less metal.

I think I remember someone saying that those cheaper sharpeners tend to take more steel when they sharpen.

Really comes down to how they sharp, what kind of material is on the stone. I know the higher end ones have different grits and take less metal.

You are right about the material they are made of. The ceramic doesn't remove as much material as the carbide ones.

I'm still up in the air about my knives. The knives I'm using now are Chicago Cutlery and they have served me pretty well for a long time even though they are inexpensive knives. I'm approaching a time where I will want to replace these knives with some higher quality and better balanced/weighted knives for my kitchen and BBQ efforts.

I love the beautiful damascus blades I have seen. They are gorgeous but I won't likely let myself spend that much money on knives. I have had enough experience in the kitchen and at the grills that I know exactly what knives I need, so I won't be buying a block set.

I guess once I figure out exactly what knives I'm going to buy, I'll decide on a sharpening system that suits them.

JM, I would recommend asking around from friends and seeing where you can get your hands on other knives to try. Not at the store. Try as many different shapes, sizes and handles as you can and see what works for you. Even down to the steel, each knife makes a difference, and as you develop a preference, you will want to spend enough to have a tool that can last for a very long time.

I love carbon steel, straight handles, and thin blades. But, it took a while to realize that.

JM, I would recommend asking around from friends and seeing where you can get your hands on other knives to try. Not at the store. Try as many different shapes, sizes and handles as you can and see what works for you. Even down to the steel, each knife makes a difference, and as you develop a preference, you will want to spend enough to have a tool that can last for a very long time.

I love carbon steel, straight handles, and thin blades. But, it took a while to realize that.

+++1

IMHO - those v-stone sharpeners are crap and definitely shouldn't be used on any high quality knife. I send my chisel edge knives out every year or so for a wet stone hand sharpening. I use my Edge-Pro about every 6 months and use a ceramic sharpening rod daily to maintain. The difference in ease of use, function & better ergonomics in high quality knives is amazing but you need to spend some time maintaining them with the right tools.

JM... dont rush into a set IMO. Get a nice cheap set of knives that you can work with... if you have that great! Now what you do is do your research like Bob said then take your time and "collect" a high quality set. Get a knife here, a knife there... let your fam know what you want for your birthday! :wink: and within a a couple years, you'll have a set that will last you a lifetime! The thing about knives is that the good ones come with GREAT warranties! My global cracked on me, I sent it away and they send me a brand spankin new one! Can't beat that Brother!

And btw... These style of sharpeners that are carbide can tend to chatter leaving gouges in you knives, I never use the carbide side on my good knives... whetstones only!

Here's a good one I got the other day to add to the collection. I also have a 800/4000 one too. So that's all I need for hair splitting edges!

Amazon.com: Woodstock SteeleX D1130 1000 Grit and 6000 Grit Japanese Waterstone: Home Improvement@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31BGv%2BZyQLL.@@AMEPARAM@@31BGv%2BZyQLL

Cheers

Back