MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses.

Notices

Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. this forum is OnTopic. A resource to help with catering, vending and just cooking for large parties. Topics to include Getting Started, Ethics, Marketing, Catering resources, Formulas and recipes for cooking for large groups.

Old 03-29-2009, 01:40 PM   #16
smokinit
is One Chatty Farker

The Fec built into a custom trailer will probably also be my final purchase in a few years. Great product once I need that capacity.

Old 03-30-2009, 10:14 AM   #17
Divemaster
somebody shut me the fark up.

So you are getting Wyatt a new smoker??? (duck and cover mod)

I guess I would have to lean toward a pooper, beyond that, I don't have a recommendation.
Race Fast, Cook Slow, and Enjoy Life!
If it don't come off a smoker, it's just a side dish!

Lang 60 Patio (The Mistress), Black Stainless Lang 36 (Little Princess), Large BGE (Ramona), Big Green UDS (Cottage Cooker), Brinkman SnP Pro (Little Bubba-Retired), 8 Burner Gasser, 3 - 22.5" & 1 - 18" (circa 1975) Weber Grills, & a Weber Smoky Joe.
Divemaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 12:38 PM   #18
big brother smoke

Shane, make sure you understand your customer base before purchasing anything. Are they wanting a show or not? (stickburners are part of the show, pellet poopers or cabinet smokers may be disappointing to your client base). In my neck of the woods, we do not get a lot of request for brisket; tri-tip is the mainstay here for beef.

Powered by the West Coast Offense: Big Poppa Smokers and Simply Marvelous BBQ - "Walk with Us"

My weapons: Humphrey's Smokers
big brother smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 01:04 PM   #19
Divemaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by big brother smoke View Post
Shane, make sure you understand your customer base before purchasing anything. Are they wanting a show or not? (stickburners are part of the show, pellet poopers or cabinet smokers may be disappointing to your client base). In my neck of the woods, we do not get a lot of request for brisket; tri-tip is the mainstay here for beef.
I must admit for some reason my customers do like watching me toss more wood in the box....
Race Fast, Cook Slow, and Enjoy Life!
If it don't come off a smoker, it's just a side dish!

Lang 60 Patio (The Mistress), Black Stainless Lang 36 (Little Princess), Large BGE (Ramona), Big Green UDS (Cottage Cooker), Brinkman SnP Pro (Little Bubba-Retired), 8 Burner Gasser, 3 - 22.5" & 1 - 18" (circa 1975) Weber Grills, & a Weber Smoky Joe.
Divemaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 02:40 PM   #20
smokinit
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by big brother smoke View Post
Never had a client complain about the service because of the lack of a show. The smell has done it for all of them. It doesn't seem practical to buy something that costs more to run and takes more time to use especial as you business grows. Just my thoughts.
Old 03-30-2009, 03:00 PM   #21
Bbq Bubba

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokinit View Post
Never had a client complain about the service because of the lack of a show. The smell has done it for all of them. It doesn't seem practical to buy something that costs more to run and takes more time to use especial as you business grows. Just my thoughts.
I agree, people stand around to smell the smoke.

Your biggest decision to make is do you want to tend a fire or run your catering business?
#detroitporkmafia
BBQ Person of the Year 2013
Bbq Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 05:55 PM   #22
Jeff Hughes
is one Smokin' Farker

I love my Klose for catering. The dog and pony show is something customers really do like. It alone will not get you jobs, but it does add to the ambiance of a party in a way that standing around a cabinet does not. I did a party last year where they took a section of fence out so my Klose could be placed in the backyard. I think another brethren caterer has had the same request. As Phil says in another thread, it's the "BBQ Show"...

That said, I think you need both. I am buying a Backwoods to mount on my Klose. There are too many times(like always) that you need the flexibility of multiple temp zones that no one cooker can provide. Also, the more you cater, the more you are going to need a set it and forget it type cooker. there are just times it is not a good use of time and energy dicking with your stick burner...

I don't think it probably matters which one you start out with...
22" Weber Kettle(10 bucks@garage sale)
Jeff Hughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 06:38 PM   #23
FatBoyz
is one Smokin' Farker

my pellet pooper does a great show! i find people are amazed how easy it is. thay think its cool... and i have time to talk to them i know my temp will be there.
Old 03-30-2009, 06:49 PM   #24
Jeff Hughes
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBoyz View Post
my pellet pooper does a great show! i find people are amazed how easy it is. thay think its cool... and i have time to talk to them i know my temp will be there.

That's the thing about a good stick burner, it will hold temps well, and as long as your food backs it up, it will say you are a "BBQ Man" in a way that cabinets never will...
22" Weber Kettle(10 bucks@garage sale)
Jeff Hughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 08:03 PM   #25
smokinit
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Hughes View Post
That's the thing about a good stick burner, it will hold temps well, and as long as your food backs it up, it will say you are a "BBQ Man" in a way that cabinets never will...

I learned on a stick burner and it's not a feasible choice with constant volume cooking in a vending and catering situation. I can switch back and forth between the two with ease but to say you are more of a BBQ man because you can use a stick burner seems a bit far fetched.
Old 03-30-2009, 08:21 PM   #26
Countryhb
is One Chatty Farker

I love my Backwoods for the capacity, the flavor it produces, the ease of moving it, and lots of other reasons, but I have to agree with the stick burners here.
I've catered several times using Big Brother Smoke's rig (I'm still waiting for my "Pit Master" shirt) and a few times with my Backwoods. I can tell you that the stick burner requires more attention, but also elicits a "better" response.
People are very interested in the Backwoods and I'll answer the questions that arise, but that's about it. The stick burner, however...well, that's a whole different world. There is pure envy that arises. Men (mostly) see this cooker and they start dreaming about what they could do with it. They all see this big, beautiful rig with the "show" going on...logs being fed into the firebox, smoke wafting from the big chrome stack, me cursing 'cause my toe still hurts from moving Mista's Spicebox...OK, maybe not the last part, but you get the picture. People are salivating over the show and the smell of the oak logs burning. Customers know the food is good before they ever get to taste it.
A guy sees a box cooker like a new vacuum; let me check it out and see how it works, but I don't really need to have one. A stick burner brings out the Neanderthal in all of us; fire good...meat cooked over fire even better!
Obviously this is solely a comparison for the "Wow" factor, and it is only my opinion, but trying to add food for thought...
Kamado #7
BWS Party
NB offset with baffle and chimney mods--STOLEN
Double-barrel 55-gal drum smoker
A farking weed burner...hehe hehe! Fire's Cool!
Countryhb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 08:25 PM   #27
HoDeDo
Babbling Farker

Another good pit that is high capacity for the $$ is a Kingfisher. Those are good catering rigs. They require more tending than an FEC/Spicepit/etc but will hold a ton of food, and tend to cook it evenly....
Old 03-30-2009, 08:31 PM   #28
Bigmista

I use a Spicewine and "I" am the show.

Rec Tec RT-700 Bull
Pitmaker Vault

Remembering Scott
Bigmista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 08:31 PM   #29
smokinit
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countryhb View Post
I love my Backwoods for the capacity, the flavor it produces, the ease of moving it, and lots of other reasons, but I have to agree with the stick burners here.
I've catered several times using Big Brother Smoke's rig (I'm still waiting for my "Pit Master" shirt) and a few times with my Backwoods. I can tell you that the stick burner requires more attention, but also elicits a "better" response.
People are very interested in the Backwoods and I'll answer the questions that arise, but that's about it. The stick burner, however...well, that's a whole different world. There is pure envy that arises. Men (mostly) see this cooker and they start dreaming about what they could do with it. They all see this big, beautiful rig with the "show" going on...logs being fed into the firebox, smoke wafting from the big chrome stack, me cursing 'cause my toe still hurts from moving Mista's Spicebox...OK, maybe not the last part, but you get the picture. People are salivating over the show and the smell of the oak logs burning. Customers know the food is good before they ever get to taste it.
A guy sees a box cooker like a new vacuum; let me check it out and see how it works, but I don't really need to have one. A stick burner brings out the Neanderthal in all of us; fire good...meat cooked over fire even better!
Obviously this is solely a comparison for the "Wow" factor, and it is only my opinion, but trying to add food for thought...
I totally get your point but from a business stand point when you have something that will produce the same quality food for half the effort and allows you to increase you business that is a no brianer. I will not loose a single job or get fewer referrals because I no longer have one.To each his own
Old 03-30-2009, 08:33 PM   #30
smokinit
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmista View Post
I use a Spicewine and "I" am the show.

Nicely said