MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 02-21-2020, 12:01 PM   #1
AlanK
Got Wood.

Default Best Cut of Meat to Test Comp Brisket Recipe

Hi,
I haven't been scoring well on brisket, so I'm thinking of changing my competition brisket recipe. Any suggestions on a cut of meat I can use to test out different rubs, mops and sauces? Testing it on briskets is too expensive and will take too long. Once I narrow it down I will finalize it on briskets.
Thanks,
Alan
AlanK is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-21-2020, 12:06 PM   #2
midwest_kc
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Joel

I have used chuck roast in the past. I think the better path may be to get some flats and cook them, however.

Old 02-21-2020, 01:49 PM   #3
pharp
is One Chatty Farker

Regardless of what your score breakdown is I would venture to say that how it is cooked is the biggest factor in how you are scoring. So I am not sure anything but brisket would be a good selection.

Thanks from: --->
Old 02-21-2020, 02:07 PM   #4
Right on Q
is One Chatty Farker

Agree with Pharp. Typically as your tenderness scores improve, so do your taste scores.

If something is rubbery, folks tend to mark down both taste and tenderness.

If you're bent on trying new flavors, just remember, middle of the road perfectly cooked meat wins every weekend.

Personally I've used brisket rubs on steak, hamburgers, roast, london broils. But I don't consider it fully vetted until I cook a few briskets with it.

Old 02-21-2020, 06:53 PM   #5
didisea
Take a breath!

Maybe a flank steak would be the closest.
didisea is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-22-2020, 05:46 AM   #6
Robert
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanK View Post
Hi,
I haven't been scoring well on brisket, so I'm thinking of changing my competition brisket recipe. Any suggestions on a cut of meat I can use to test out different rubs, mops and sauces? Testing it on briskets is too expensive and will take too long. Once I narrow it down I will finalize it on briskets.
Thanks,
Alan

Let's think about this. Brisket used to be one of the cheapest cuts of meat. And where I live it still is at about $3.50+/-20-30 cents a pound for whole packers, flats $5.50-$6.00. The only other meat besides hamburger that I see in that price range is a round roast. Chuck roasts are running at $4.50-5.00 now. Given that, I'd just buy a whole packer and cut it into smaller pieces and cook your various combinations all at one time. Have a few friends over and have them judge the combos.

Good luck,

Robert
Robert is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 02-22-2020, 11:22 PM   #7
Dawgfan28
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
Let's think about this. Brisket used to be one of the cheapest cuts of meat. And where I live it still is at about $3.50+/-20-30 cents a pound for whole packers, flats $5.50-$6.00. The only other meat besides hamburger that I see in that price range is a round roast. Chuck roasts are running at $4.50-5.00 now. Given that, I'd just buy a whole packer and cut it into smaller pieces and cook your various combinations all at one time. Have a few friends over and have them judge the combos.

Good luck,

Robert
Brisket is even cheaper here. I can get a choice packer under $3 bucks easy, Prime will run me just over $3 per lbs.

I always practice what I do on the cuts I'm going to use in comps. Best advice is get some friends over and have them chip in
Or if you can find some friends who need some BBQ for a wedding, birthday party, tailgate etc. that the best. I'm always using chances like that to test stuff off.
Dawgfan28 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-28-2020, 11:35 PM   #8
tduffy
is One Chatty Farker

Tenderness is what matters. Practice with brisket

Old 03-01-2020, 08:23 PM   #9
ynotfehc
Full Fledged Farker

so what are you using now?
ynotfehc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-02-2020, 06:59 AM   #10
fwdiii
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Fred

Quote:
Originally Posted by tduffy View Post
Tenderness is what matters. Practice with brisket
I agree!!!
fwdiii is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-02-2020, 11:26 AM   #11
bpeyton89
Full Fledged Farker

Brisket is what you need to practice on. If you want to make yourself feel better I suggest rib eye steaks. they're delicious
bpeyton89 is online now   Reply With Quote