MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-16-2010, 08:28 AM   #1
kcchiefdav
On the road to being a farker

Question Yet another UDS suitability question...

First a couple of apologies
1. I originally posted this in the UDS master-thread, but because of potential time constraints, I'm starting a new post so I can get more eyeballs (and hopefully opinions.
2. I apologize for being like the 500th person to ask this question. On with the business at hand...

So, in the short time that I've been a member here, I've fallen in love with the UDS.(And I hate my ECB) A few weeks ago, I decided that I must try making one. I have come across some barrels and I wanted to run them by some of you, who are more "in the know" on these sorts of things, as to whether or not these types of barrels are gonna work for a UDS. The guy advertised them as barrels used to ship sand and aggregate which seems ok to me. They don't appear to be galvanized. So, what do you guys think, should i make the 12 dollar investment and give this thing a try or wait til I can find something more food friendly?

kcchiefdav is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-16-2010, 09:07 AM   #2
Philly-QueMaster
is one Smokin' Farker

I made my UDS from drums that had pretrolium and some time of alcohol in them. I would go for it. Just make sure to burn them out really well a couple times. Do they come with lids?
Philly-QueMaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-16-2010, 09:10 AM   #3
kcchiefdav

Yes, the guy says they have lids w/gaskets

Old 05-16-2010, 09:33 AM   #4
Boshizzle
somebody shut me the fark up.

WHo ships sand in a barrel? Was it sand removed from a chemical or nuclear spill site? Everyone has to do what they feel comfortable with, but personally, I would need more information about the sand and the "aggregate."

Roadside barrels used by road construction crews hold sand to keep them in place. Were they used for something like that?

Old 05-16-2010, 09:43 AM   #5
Alan in Ga
is One Chatty Farker

I would burn them real good take a wire wheel and a drill and grind them out and build. Have fun
[SIZE=3]Golden Goose Egg(4 Times Certified)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Stumps 223 ,2 UDS,NB Hondo[/SIZE]
Alan in Ga is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-16-2010, 09:52 AM   #6
kcchiefdav

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boshizzle View Post
WHo ships sand in a barrel? Was it sand removed from a chemical or nuclear spill site? Everyone has to do what they feel comfortable with, but personally, I would need more information about the sand and the "aggregate."

Roadside barrels used by road construction crews hold sand to keep them in place. Were they used for something like that?
I asked the guy for more info about the barrels' past uses and haven't heard back from him yet. I'm in the middle of Kansas, and I can't really think of any dubious types of sand or rock that they guy could have received in these barrels, so I'm pretty hopeful.

Old 05-16-2010, 09:58 AM   #7
Tweedle
Full Fledged Farker

burn and scrub burn and scrub if you see rust you should be good. I used barrels that held road paint, so sand should be no problem.

PS Plus if they have lids and only cost ya $12 you can do other things with them .... I would buy them even if i didn't want to make a 5-6th UDS

Old 05-16-2010, 10:09 AM   #8
expatpig
is One Chatty Farker

They should be fine, enjoy the experience of the build.
[B][COLOR=red]Napoleon Apollo[/COLOR][/B]
[COLOR=#ff0000][B]GOSM[/B][/COLOR]

[COLOR=blue][B][I]CSBBQA, KCBS, NOBS(Northern Ontario Barbecue Society)Professional Barbecue Team. USAJFKCENMA.[/I][/B][/COLOR]
expatpig is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-16-2010, 10:23 AM   #9
BruceKWHP
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Bruce

That first black one with the shiny interior looks perfect for a UDS build... No liner! do they smell like chemicals? That is a good price for a drum with removable lid...

Drill the lower intake holes first, then rinse / scrub and start a brush fire to clean 'er up....

Old 05-16-2010, 10:35 AM   #10
Sean "Puffy" Coals
is one Smokin' Farker

I say go for it. If anyone put nuclear waste of anything in them, they wouldn't be empty right now. They'd be buried under a mountain somewhere. Nuclear waste isn't something you can just dump out on the side of the road...

As for the aggregate/sand; it might have been the kind they use for making molds of for sand-blasting. That's the only thing I can think of. See what it says on the labels when you go to get them.

Old 05-16-2010, 11:18 AM   #11
Burk
Got Wood.

I made mine out of an oil drum, hit it with a powerwasher before and after I burned it out. There wasn't any residue or odor left. I'd say go for it.

Just wanted to note that our wash bay at work has an oil separator built into the drain, as do most commercial car washes.

Old 05-16-2010, 11:21 AM   #12
kcchiefdav

I think I'm gonna go ahead and buy them. Thanks to everyone for the responses.

Old 05-16-2010, 12:37 PM   #13
Captain Dave
is one Smokin' Farker

That front one with the shiney insides is perfect! Won't even take much burning. Soap and water it first, drill your 3 or 4 intake holes, start a fire and get it hot and start building. No need for wire brushing since there is no liner.

Tags
uds