Bad News on Beef Prices

Meat prices

I hope it levels out soon.

Attachments

• prices.jpg
    prices.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 66
Everybody oughta start raising and slaughtering their own cows - right in their backyard in the middle of the City.......:thumb:

It's all about supply and demand. When the price gets high enough to offend people, it causes less demand and the prices come down. If we always dealt with it, prices would just go up and up. Already been a few people here, including me, that walked into a store to buy a case of meat, and were offended and walked out of the store with no meat. This creates an excess of supply, which will cause the prices to come down.

I can tell you it already started happening with me....wasn't going to spend 15 bucks i saw at the butcher for some loin backs that were just 11 dollars last week and 10 dollars last month!

I here the desert turtle is on the menu in Nevada. I doubt ole Clive is a member but if he is maybe he could chime in on beef prices.

Weird thing seems to be that while prices at my local HEB have gone up just like everybody else's, it seems like everything is being advertised as either choice or (mostly) prime instead of select like it was a year ago. Might be that feeders are holding animals longer and feeding them up to higher grades. I got to know the meat manager at my HEB and he still offers me a "deal" occasionally when I stop in and buy a bunch of meat.

I'll wager that if you ran the numbers it would be twice that cost. Gear, gun/bow, gas, license, tagging fee, etc... Not to mention your hourly rate for hunting and processing. Don't get me wrong as I hunt and fish but I'm not delusional that it's cheaper than the store. Is it better than store bought... Absolutey, but not always cheaper on paper.

I don't think I'm "delusional" to say its cheaper than the deli counter. Of course there are costs associated with hunting. In my case, as described, I got the ham for free from a buddy (he won the hunting trip for free too). I also don't consider my time hunting as a "cost" even though my time is worth money. Same could be said for all of us that spend time BBQing no? For all the hours I put in prepping, cooking, serving, etc. I could probably spend half as much time and money and feed my family at Famous Dave's, but they don't serve ham like that at Famous Dave's...

Local grocery store $5.29/lb for select brisket, walmart $2.79/lb :shock:

Back