Chicken Advice/Help

F

Friscoag

I need some help on IBCA chicken. Attached is a picture, I did two different halves last night. One was Oak Ridge Secret Weapon and one was Oak Ridge Yard Bird. I definitely liked the Secret Weapon better. For the glaze I used a famous dave's sauce thinned down with pineapple juice. I did this because I didn't have time to do a homemade sauce. I was somewhat in a hurry.

I use a BGE, did indirect 330, apple wood. I used about 3-4 chunks of apple wood, I'm thinking this wasn't enough, there wasn't much smoke flavor. The Chicken didn't seem to have a whole lot of flavor deep down in the breast. I'm planning on injecting next time. Also as you can see the bird was a little dark for my liking, cooking too hot?

I started glazing when the breast was at 145, pulled off right at 165.

Thoughts/Advice? All much appreciated.

Attachments

• chicken 1-22.jpg
    chicken 1-22.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 189
I would say your applying your glaze to soon and the sugars a caramelizing. Glaze the last 15 min. Injecting aint gonna get the smoke flavor deep unless you using liquid smoke (YUCK). Try some Hickory the flavor is a little heavier.

whatever the case, that bird looks more than delish!

Apple Wood darkens chicken. Try cherry or hickory

I would say go with some hickory also, 330 might be a little hot, I aim for 275-300. enough to render the fat.

I agree about the temp. Start out around 300 and then ramp it up at the end to put a nice crisp on the skin. Also, as stated above, glaze the last 15 minutes so the sugars don't get too dark.

I spatchcock my chickens/small turkeys.
I do them at 375 degrees with no rub or glaze. I pull them at 174 internal thigh temp and rest for at least 5 minutes.
They turn out perfect every time.

For good chicken every time temps must be 350+. If you want perfect crisp skin with perfect coloring cook chicken skin side down in a 12" cast iron skillet for about 20-25 minutes so fat can render. After 20-25 minutes flip chicken and cook an additional 10-20 minutes. Make sure your temps are 350+.

1. Preheat skillet with 1tbsp of quality vegtable oil.
2. Place chicken skin side down and cook for 20-25 minutes.
3. Flip chicken over and cook an additional 10-20 minutes.

After flipping chicken start checking internal temps, do not want to over cook chicken.

I agree with higher temps in the 325-375 range and leaving glaze till end of cook. At those temps, a sugary glaze will burn pretty fast.

have seen and read where a lot of people brine they're chicken first to get flavor deeper in the poultry

brining adds a bit of flavor, If you want fully rendered skin, cook hot. In the 350 area.. If you desire rubber band skin, go ahead and keep smoking low n slow at 240.

That's perfect for at home cooking, I've been trying to work on a comp type cook.

Fair enough, I shouldn't have posted because I have no idea what comp food is.
I just got carried away with the fun of comments on hotnfast.
:yo:

Some nice lookin chicken there! I cook @350 on the UDS direct and glaze right at the end, but 10 min before I take it off. That chicken looks kinda sauced instead of glazed. Brining works well, and I find that pecan is best on chicken IMO, hickory makes it taste like bacon. I used to be hooked on plowboys and walked occasionally, now I use a rub called REO made in huntsville tx, it is super awesome! Also you might wanna foil the wing tips so they don't burn. Good luck on your experiments, the good thing is you get to eat them.
Beer can or ceramic chicken sitters is another option, I have done well with both.
3D6D58C2-413B-42FE-97DD-9ACA148CB3B6-2722-000004040D1E02CF.jpg

50B0C035-0DAC-420F-997F-76E44ECECFD3-4156-00000445C644BD27.jpg

588e9654.jpg

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7hL2EXXERU&feature=youtube_gdata_player"]J$ mad hunky chicken - YouTube[/ame]
If you have any questions, feel free to pm me.

Back