• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Photos of thin blue smoke

bbqpitsmoker

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
From having a look around on the internet there seems to be a pretty wide range of smoke thickness and color that is considered correctly or incorrectly to be ‘thin blue’

Would appreciate any of you lucky enough to own both a smoker and a camera or even a smartphone taking some photos of what you consider to be ‘thin blue smoke’ on your next cooks and posting them on this thread to be a resource for current and future members to know what to aim for if they want thin blue.

Here is an earlier post...
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=3916459&postcount=9

The white smoke/blue smoke issue doesn't really occur with charcoal; it occurs with the added wood to charcoal for smoke flavoring.

When a fire stops flaming, it begins to smolder. At this point, combustion stops occurring in the flame, and begins occurring on the surface of the wood/charcoal. Less oxygen is required of the fire at this point. As long as there is enough oxygen and fuel being converted to heat, then this an ideal cooking heat source as the fire will be burning very clean.

At the point when the cooker begins to come up to temperature and the fire is stabilized, this will become the blue smoke state.

At the point where flaming stops and smoldering begins, there is too little oxygen for clean burning. I believe this to be the "white smoke" point.

You don't need a big piece of wood to get a good smoke, in fact, when it comes to making "thin blue smoke", bigger is NOT necessarily better. The key is to have small amounts of wood burn efficiently, so you get the sweet smoke flavor, and not a bitter, over-smoked flavor.

Dampened wood or cold wood on a fire can give off white smoke until the wood is heated and dry. This type of smoke is mostly moisture escaping from the wood and may not be from poor combustion. White smoke from poor combustion or from poor airflow in the smoker is heavy, smells overpowering, and it can cause that bitter acrid taste that everyone fears. Rule of thumb is to follow your sense of smell. Bad smoke is overpowering and smells bad.

Sweet blue can be seen even when it's "invisible" but you have to get the right angle of light on it. It's very thin, and wispy, and almost invisible.

follow your nose rather than your eyes. If you smell wood smoke, leave it alone, if you do not then add a few wood chunks, right on top of some red-hot coals, the best smoke is smelled, not seen.

Mines running too...
1c422021b060f91dca6a5261a6af2e0c.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

fXGGfSc.jpg

This is one of my better sweet blue photos, several hours into a cook. On my drums, I never really get blue smoke as fats are dripping into the coals, so the color is white to light gray, and it's lighter when I hang things as they are not directly over the charcoal basket like they are if I'm using a grate.

hzeptd1.jpg

oh dang sorry for having my pictures all wonky. If you rotate your computer screen they will look better.

So thats one of the many reasons i LOVE bbq brethren. Within just 1 day of my original post this thread has now become probably the most comprehensive collection of photos of thin blue smoke anywhere on the internet. What a great resource for people to refer to as they learn the ropes. Thanks to everyone that contributed!

Back