comment cards

Tack

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I am the only one who sees a problem with receiving a comment cars from a judge that say please inject or adjust cooking temp??

Would you rather they just gave you a crap score with no card?

Would you rather they just gave you a crap score with no card?

No, but I would rather not have a judge tell me how to cook. If it's rubbery, tell me. If it's dry or under-done, tell me. I'll learn from it and make adjustments...
If a judge tells me I need to inject, that's offensive.:mad2:

no give me the comment card but don't try to insturct me as to how to cook. Yhe entry was a poor one but it was MY fault not the cooking style or seasoning. I failed to put it on in time

If ya don't like the entry thats fine just tell me why. If ya want to teach me to cook find me and mentor me.

Eh, there's gotta be a middle ground. I got a card that on brisket that said "too salty" and that was it. I would have been thrilled if it had said what was too salty, ends, slices, au jus, bark??

speaking of salt got another one that said my pork entry needed salt. as you can tell it was a BAD day at the judges table for me

I got one on my ribs that saud they were dry too. Now that was TOTAL BS and I got witnesses to that

Those do sound like crappy cards but, at least there is an attempt. I think that a lot of judges may think that they are being helpful instead of just slinging sanitized comments. I guess what I'm saying is, as a cook I would rather see a little more, non offensive descriptive cards than no comment at all.

If something is off tell me, just don't tell me how to cook, I agree with that. I just would hate to see the usefulness of the cards disappear because they are being used other than intended.

I got one on my ribs that saud they were dry too. Now that was TOTAL BS and I got witnesses to that

I'm not a CBJ and don't have to be to see that you could be looking for fire where there is no smoke. There are so many variables that nothing short of climbing into that judges mouth when they take the bite can guarantee anything.

Hey Pimp see the quote at the bottm of my messages??? That was on a comment card last year at the same comp. See the pattern?

Seems the judges are watching a few TV shows and are trying to impress people. Just tell me why ya didn't like it and I'll decide what if any adjustments need to be made. Clearly comment cards are good if used for the intended purpose. I just think that this judge went beyond acceptable limits for the card.

Seems the judges are watching a few TV shows and are trying to impress people. Just tell me why ya didn't like it and I'll decide what if any adjustments need to be made. Clearly comment cards are good if used for the intended purpose. I just think that this judge went beyond acceptable limits for the card.

I can agree with that. I know how you feel to an extent. I got fived last weekend by one judge and I was quite upset. I had to take a breath, step back and remember the one thing we all know; Unless you're one of the top ten teams in consistently winning, it's a big crap shoot every time you close that box.

I am a cook and a CBJ, I try to fill out a constructive card when I judge. For instance I will put meat was dry but flavor was good, meat was overcooked and had a mushy consistency, Sauce overpowered the meat, Bland flavor or something that will give the cook a clue to help them. I do not judge based on a flavor profile I do not like, for instance I do not like a lot of chipolte, or mustard, but I do NOT discount something because I do not like it. I HATE white sauce on chicken but I do realize that it can still me moist, tender and the appearance can be nice so I judge based as if all of the chicken had a white sauce would this be the best.

What was the % of CBJ? It might have been like Bedford, 100% CBJ, but 85% were first time judges. All in all, at Bedford they did an outstanding job even though they were pretty new to the game.

I'm with you. Please don't get me started on this subject. I see judges all the time that try to prescribe a solution to a perceived BBQ problem rather than just tell the cook what the problem is. It's a pet peeve of mine, actually, and I even discussed it at length with the KCBS rep at the comp I judged today.

Judges should not be telling cooks how to cook. They can give feedback to the cooks to let them know what they didn't like but they have no business offering cooking suggestions.

I would rather have a comment card honestly. I mean, you are cooking for the judges so I would take their input unless it's just assenine crazy.

Back