What's your "Go-To"?

I must admit I don't have one, but there's something special about firing up/tending the offset, w/ beer in hand. Idk what it is...I feel like a real man I guess. :wink:

Replies

-What stove do you find yourself gravitating towards when you want cook something substantial (briskets, shoulders, ribs)?
:blah: BDS-Mega

-What are your other options (if any)?
:blah: WSM, and a Weber Ranch Kettle that works fine as a smoker.

-Why do you use this particular unit, as opposed to another?
:blah: I use the BDS because like a UDS, the fat rendering into the fire produces flavors like no other.

-If you could add one unit to your BBQ "stable", what would it be and why?
:blah: This topic is currently in debate in my head and household.

Thanks in advance for helping us new suckers narrow things down.
Kevin.

Hope this helps.

I have three Cookers. A Large BGE, A Weber Kettle, and a 50,000 BTU Members Mark LP Gas Grill.

If I'm doing something special and I have time I go with the BGE. It is awesome and I have convince all my friends that there is something magical about it.

If time is limited and I need to cook with both Direct Heat and Inderect the Weber Kettle is excellent. I recently built a table to incorporate the Weber with my BGE because I use it so often. I also end up taking my Weber with me on the road quite a bit for tailgates and othe events. In my opinion this is a must have grill.

I could probably live without my gass grill, but it does get used if we are having a big party or pitch in where we are just grilling hot dogs and frozen burgers. It's also nice for quick after work dinners when you just don't have time to fire up the charcoals.

Any chance you can post a pic of that table. I was just reading up on building one for my kamado. Incorporating the weber sounds like an interesting idea.

In hopes of clarifying the roles of different cooking methods ie UDS, Komodo, Offset, etc., would you guys mind answering a couple questions?

-What stove do you find yourself gravitating towards when you want cook something substantial (briskets, shoulders, ribs)?

Kevin.

I go with my Traeger for substantial cuts, and almost anything which I cook indirect. It turns on with the flip of a switch and is good for a cook that takes 15 minutes or 15 hours.

Substantial My WSM. Lots of burgers steaks party size cooks, My Offset.
Everyday dinners my Weber Kettle.

My other WSM, Electric Smoker, and this thing in the kitchen with burners and an oven.

WSM Rocks Plus I don't want to pull a trailer smoker.

FEC or Backwoods. Nice to fit all your meats on one cooker for a comp. I also understand the FEC is set it and forget it. Plus the FEC is NSF if I ever peruse more catering.

22.5" Weber for all things grilled, but sometimes I use it for smoking wings, small pork butts

BSKD - for larger butts, ribs and chicken. It is a fuel beast, but I love cooking with it...nothing like a man and his fire.

40" MES when it's cold or I am feeling lazy or multi-tasking throughout the day

Treager for slow cooks and chicken , whole and parts , it's just so easy to use , high heat grilling , smokey joe or the 22.5 , if im tired i just fire up the G1000 , but since i just bought an off set , i have some learning to do , my UDS is my camping smoker/grill

In hopes of clarifying the roles of different cooking methods ie UDS, Komodo, Offset, etc., would you guys mind answering a couple questions?

Kevin.

for larger cooks, i will use the backyard Chef(horizontal stickburner) if I will have time for tending. If i need to go unatttended, i use the spicewine or the FEC. the offset IMO has superior flavor, but sometimes theres just no time to be around tending fire.

Grilling and Pizza, i go straight to the BGE. thats hwould be self explanatory.

Chicken, the Pit Barrell, hands down on that one. makes it better than any of the others.

And if I am going to add another pit, it will be a yoder pellet cooker.. jsut cause I want one.

If I don't have the time to spend on a stick-burner I'll use the Traeger. Also if I'm making a bunch of Moink balls, for example, the Traeger's got the room.
If I do have the time I'll go with the Kingfisher, as long as there's not too much to cook. The PBS gives meat that smoky grilled flavor that I can't get with my other pits so I use it that way. The Primo is, flat-out, the best grill I have, plus it makes some hellacious pizza.

We're still using the kettle the majority of the time. It's just so damn versatile. When we actually take the time to learn Redhot's Akorn, that might change though.

I always find myself going to my Traeger Texas pellet grill. It always puts out good food, very convenient, more than enough capacity for nearly everything, and I don't have to worry about it. My UDS comes in a close second, though it's capacity is less than the Traeger, sometimes I just need that charcoal flavor.

I wish I had a nice big reverse flow smoker with the side firebox to burn sticks. This seems like the way to get the best flavor into the food, but they are expensive, and generally take a while to get started, which might get annoying. I haven't been able to justify getting one, yet...

I just purchased a Weber 26.75" OTG that I am hoping will turn into my do all grill/smoker, but I need to get some time on it and figure out it's best setup to smoke with.

Weber kettle
A second kettle
So far, is has cooked everything I've brought home. I've made a couple of accessories out of expanded metal- two charcoal holders and a ring- and can do extended cooks.
Maybe a UDS because I enjoy building things from scrounged parts. Maybe an Acorn just for another thing to play with. Hard to beat the kettle, though.

Back