Didn't think it could be done.....

jonmhenderson

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Got hungry for some Lexington style pork shoulder this weekend. Did some butts on my Traeger over hickory pels last weekend. They were good, but, as anyone who's ever had it knows, that true NC pit cooked bbq flavor comes from dripping directly on coals. The Traeger just won't do that unless you cook too hot. Anyway, after seeing pics of the Great Keith Allen of Allen and Son
cooking shoulders in pits to where the ash/coal buildup appeared to put the heat about 6 inches under the meat, I decided to enlist my mother in law's Weber 22.5 one touch gold kettle. I just started the picnic shoulder meat side down and just kept around 10 or so coals underneath and recharged every 30 minutes or so through the hinged grate, a very handy design, btw. It was a 7 lb roast and I did 4 hours face down and 2 hours skin down and it was done. I pulled and chopped the outside brown (not burned at all) and mixed with the inside. It had that old familiar direct pit cooked Lexington flavor. I was pretty blown away!

Back