Anybody use sand?

Mitch

is Blowin Smoke!

Batch Image
Reaction score
Does anybody use sand in the "water bowl" of thier WMS or other vertical smoker? If so, how does it work for you?

I just did it this weekend both on Saturday and Sunday. Filled with sand covered with foil and away she went. I thought it did a great job. Came up to temp faster, held temps longer and the clean up is awesome. Going to try it on my Backwoods Party and my newly aquired Spicewine.

I used it on my coker last itme with all the same results listed.
Be careful though, If it gets away from you it might be hard to bring the temps back down.

Dan

I use it in my ecb.....works fine and cleanup is much easier.

No more water in my waterpan.......sand is the way to go!!:cool:

Gents, gents, gents....... Let me introduce you to the clay pot base. This will take the place of sand/water and makes for easy clean up. Head to the local hardware store and buy a #14 clay pot base. drop that puppy in the water pan of your WSM. **POOF** instant Feul saving, easier to hit your target temps. Many benefits to this mod

Gents, gents, gents....... Let me introduce you to the clay pot base. This will take the place of sand/water and makes for easy clean up. Head to the local hardware store and buy a #14 clay pot base. drop that puppy in the water pan of your WSM. **POOF** instant Feul saving, easier to hit your target temps. Many benefits to this mod
Good to know!!!....Learn something everyday:biggrin:

I just did it this weekend both on Saturday and Sunday. Filled with sand covered with foil and away she went. I thought it did a great job. Came up to temp faster, held temps longer and the clean up is awesome. Going to try it on my Backwoods Party and my newly aquired Spicewine.

O-H-H-H-! Spicewine! I'm Jonesing for a Spicewine Trailer Rig! Like I need another:roll:

I'm planning on using it in the Egg. Just wanted to confirm it works well for others... so if I have pbms I know it's me

Lava rocks in the WSM waterpans covered with foiled pizza stones in my WSM's! Tried the claypot base and they work great also. Cleanup is a breaze-toss the foil. Dry baby!!

I'm planning on using it in the Egg. Just wanted to confirm it works well for others... so if I have pbms I know it's me

You have a waterpan in your Egg? That's new to me!

I prefer to use sand in the wsm pan. I only fill about 1/3 full. I once tried filling a brinkman charcoal pan about 1/2 full, thinking that more sand was better. I think the wsm pan 1/3 full was easier to control.

I use the 14" clay pot base in my WSM. It offers more flexibility than sand and all of the benefits. If I do a chicken cook, I can remove it in a second and just use the empty water pan. Cleanup is easy and I don't have to worry about my foil leaking and contaminating the sand.

With any waterless method, you have to be sure you catch the temps on the way up or you'll be fighting with your WSM for a while.

You have a waterpan in your Egg? That's new to me!

Actually, I have a "spider" (rack) that sits on the firering - that will hold a water pan. I thought that a "water pan" full of sand would work for indirect cooking instead of the place setter - and the extra mass of the sand would hold temps more constant when I have to open the lid to tend things.

I'm not one who likes to point things out to people, but if you use anything but WATER in a WATERPAN, you are cheating

I'm not one who likes to point things out to people, but if you use anything but WATER in a WATERPAN, you are cheating

Nothing wrong with adding flavor to the liquid. We all do the the same thing with different woods for flavor, water ingredients are not any different. It doesn't have to be just water...Water Pan is just a generic phrase. just my $.02.

Why would sand or a clay pot be considered cheating? If one were to put apple juice in a WATERpan would that be considered cheating also??? In my eyes as there's no gas it's not considered cheating it's considered a modification.

I used water twice, when I first bought my WSM. After that ordeal, sand, sand, sand. I'm going to try the clay asap!

Back