MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-01-2011, 12:52 AM   #16
dworl
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag76 View Post
My suggestions would be:

1. Check the accuracy of all thermometers/probes you are using. I boil some water on the stove and see how close to 212 I get. Calibrate accordingly if your thermometer allows for it.

2. Add ~ 1/4" of liquid such as water or beer to the pan before foiling.

3. Pan and foil at 160 to 165.

4. Start checking for tenderness with the probe at ~ 185. You might have to go up to 200 to reach the point where the probe inserts like it is going into a soft stick of butter.

I have cooked a lot of excellent briskets using the high heat method, mainly because I do not have 12 - 15 hours to spend on it due to my work load. You can also cook a great brisket using low and slow, i.e., maintaining a pit temp of ~ 210 - 225. Be prepared to spend 12-15 hours if you do it this way, possibly longer for a big brisket.

If I can be of any more help, I would be more than glad to. I have certainly received more than my fair share here.
calibrated all probes in boiling water and all accurate.
dworl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-01-2011, 08:18 AM   #17
Contracted Cookers
is one Smokin' Farker

get rid of the foil pan double wrap in foil as tight as you can get it.so the juices cover the whole brisket until it finishes . open foil for a few minutes to quit the cooking process. wrap tightly rest 1 or 2 hours in cooler or cold oven.
Contracted Cookers is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-01-2011, 08:31 AM   #18
dworl
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Contracted Cookers View Post
get rid of the foil pan double wrap in foil as tight as you can get it.so the juices cover the whole brisket until it finishes . open foil for a few minutes to quit the cooking process. wrap tightly rest 1 or 2 hours in cooler or cold oven.
Will try that this weekend. Thank you.
dworl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brisket, hot fast, traeger