MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-23-2018, 11:38 PM   #136
gtr
somebody shut me the fark up.

Gonna put up a few of the pix that I re-found that got bombed off 'cause of the farkbucket deal.

These are from different years past:

Dry aged, pre-cook

Not sure whether or not either of these are from that^^^roast, but they were delicious.

Gonna do this year's kinda like smoke_ninja - hit with Q-salt ahead of time. Got an 11 pound standing rib roast & cannot wait to cook and eat that thing. Gonna throw it in the BW Chubby (been using that cooker a lot lately - love that thing!) with a little pecan at 200. Gonna see what it looks like at the end of the cook before I decide whether or not to sear.

Love this thread!
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-26-2018, 12:15 AM   #137
smoke ninja

another year in the books

Old 10-12-2019, 01:40 PM   #138
food4thot
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Erik, E

My boys are coming for dinner tonight so I picked up an 8½ pound standing rib roast. Plan on putting it on the Performer rotisserie, bones and all. Loading lump on one side and gonna catch the drippings. Will be about 3 hours sitting on the counter at room temp.

Been a couple years since doing one and sorta drawing a blank on how long it should take. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks from:--->
Old 10-12-2019, 03:59 PM   #139
food4thot
is Blowin Smoke!

Olive oil, Celtic sea salt, fresh cracked black pepper, and a finishing hit of Montreal steak seasoning. Couple cherry chunks in the fire and it's on. Was running late so skipped the catch pan.

Old 10-12-2019, 05:49 PM   #140
food4thot
is Blowin Smoke!

About an hour and 45 minutes in. Stopped the motor and started pushing the Thermapen in slowly. Internal got down to 90°. This thing won't be perfect but hope it's delicious.

Thanks from: --->
Old 10-12-2019, 05:52 PM   #141
Bob in St. Louis
Babbling Farker

Wish I could help, but I've never done one.
Looks good so far!
Bob in St. Louis is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-12-2019, 06:23 PM   #142
food4thot
is Blowin Smoke!

Progress pic

Old 10-12-2019, 06:24 PM   #143
ice_mf_mike
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by food4thot View Post
Progress pic

That crust tho 😮

Old 10-12-2019, 06:25 PM   #144
Mikhail
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Mik

Yum. Heating up last night's pecan smoked rib roast now.

Old 10-12-2019, 06:28 PM   #145
food4thot
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice_mf_mike View Post
That crust tho 😮
Apparently part of it fell off during the turn. Good fat content.

Old 10-12-2019, 08:01 PM   #146
smoke ninja

Quote:
My boys are coming for dinner tonight so I picked up an 8½ pound standing rib roast. Plan on putting it on the Performer rotisserie, bones and all. Loading lump on one side and gonna catch the drippings. Will be about 3 hours sitting on the counter at room temp.

Been a couple years since doing one and sorta drawing a blank on how long it should take. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
hipshot guess is 2.5 hrs. hard to guess as I bet rotisserie temp will vary. probably be some bullseye but great crust with rotisserie from my experience.

Old 10-13-2019, 12:02 PM   #147
food4thot
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke ninja View Post
hipshot guess is 2.5 hrs. hard to guess as I bet rotisserie temp will vary. probably be some bullseye but great crust with rotisserie from my experience.
Took it off after 2½ hours. Should have pulled it sooner as it ended up overdone. Was tasty but I have bad luck with rib roasts. Can never get them quite right in the grill. Thinking of trying Method X next time.

Old 10-13-2019, 01:04 PM   #148
Stingerhook

Name/Nickname : Marty

Looks good to me Erik.

UDS now gone, WSM 18", WSM 22" and pellet pooper in the garage for 18 months now.
Stingerhook is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 10-13-2019, 01:04 PM   #149
smoke ninja

Quote:
Took it off after 2½ hours. Should have pulled it sooner as it ended up overdone. Was tasty but I have bad luck with rib roasts. Can never get them quite right in the grill. Thinking of trying Method X next time.

is that the one where you throw it in a hot oven and then turn it off and leave it til done? I've heard it works.

I have good results cooking at low temps. my trusty turkey roaster with an analog dial works (same one I use to hot hold bbq) really well and as well as the pellet cooker. I rest for a bit so it doesn't carryover when I I sear.

Old 10-13-2019, 02:41 PM   #150
food4thot
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke ninja View Post
is that the one where you throw it in a hot oven and then turn it off and leave it til done? I've heard it works.

I have good results cooking at low temps. my trusty turkey roaster with an analog dial works (same one I use to hot hold bbq) really well and as well as the pellet cooker. I rest for a bit so it doesn't carryover when I I sear.
Method X is pre-heating the oven to 500° then putting the roast in for exactly 5 minutes per pound. Turn the heat off and leave the roast in the oven for 2 hours without opening the door. Some I know say it works great, but I dismissed them because I've always liked playing with charcoal.

Think it's time to give X a try.

Tags
prime rib, Rib Roast, standing rib roast