How long should ribs take to smoke on a Southern Pride Gas Smoker?

• 2 Hours

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 3 Hours

• 6 hours

• Total voters

JWild

Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.
Reaction score
Howdy Y'all,

I'm an amateur pitmaster still learning the ropes and in the process of opening a new BBQ restaurant in a few weeks. I got my start smoking on a reverse flow offset stick burner and had success with my product, but my new smoker is this Southern Pride cabinet smoker and its giving me fits.

After looking into how it operates I found that it is essentially a convection oven with a firebox attached. The biggest problem I'm struggling with is the cook times all of my meats, especially ribs. Typically on my traditional offset my ribs would take 4-5 hours at 225, but these ribs on the southern pride are drying out in 3 hours at 225.

Is it as easy as just lowering my temps 25 degrees? I'm worries that if I set the temp too low I won't get any smoke out of my wood. Also, I'm getting huge temp fluctuations when adding wood, upwards of 45 degrees.

If anyone has experience with this specific unit and can give me a few pointers on cook times/temps it would be much appreciated!

Hey. We’re you able to figure out your the SRG-400? Just picked up mine and I’m trying to work on my briskets, beef ribs and chicken.

Typically on my traditional offset my ribs would take 4-5 hours at 225, but these ribs on the southern pride are drying out in 3 hours at 225.
How are you determining that they are done? They sound undercooked to me. Doesn't sound like you're ready to open quite yet.

Back