MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-17-2018, 11:32 PM   #8311
Kanco Connection
is One Chatty Farker

baby backs for tomorrow. I'll post result

Thanks from: --->

Old 03-18-2018, 11:52 AM   #8312
benuski
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Name/Nickname : benuski

Just got it on Friday and gonna break it in with a whole chicken this afternoon!

(Don't worry, I'll move it to the ground before firing it up)
benuski is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-18-2018, 01:02 PM   #8313
vertigo
Got Wood.

Hey guys, long time no post. Yesterday I did my first brisket in my PBC. Rubbed with Pit Happens rub and at 160 wrapped in butcher paper with Kosmos Q brisket mop.

Took it to 204 at the thickest point in the flat to probe tender, and here's the result:

Not bad, but not as good as briskets I've done in my Performer or Hasty-Bake. I blame it on the meat itself, as it was Canada AA grade instead of AAA or Prime. Those two are very hard to find up here though, and when they're available they're big bucks ($10/lb+ !).

Last edited by vertigo; 03-18-2018 at 01:09 PM..
vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-18-2018, 01:09 PM   #8314
Bob C Cue
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by benuski View Post

Just got it on Friday and gonna break it in with a whole chicken this afternoon!

Welcome and congrats on the new PBJ! At least it sure looks to be a Junior.
Thermapen Classic
Thermoworks Smoke

[I]Ephesians 2:8-9
For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast[/I].
Bob C Cue is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 03-18-2018, 01:24 PM   #8315
zsir
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob C Cue View Post
Welcome and congrats on the new PBJ! At least it sure looks to be a Junior.
They all our of jr's right now. ..

Sent from my SM-T237P using Tapatalk
zsir is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-18-2018, 01:58 PM   #8316
Kanco Connection
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:

She’s a beauty! Have some fun with her!

Old 03-18-2018, 01:59 PM   #8317
Kanco Connection
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by vertigo View Post
Hey guys, long time no post. Yesterday I did my first brisket in my PBC. Rubbed with Pit Happens rub and at 160 wrapped in butcher paper with Kosmos Q brisket mop.

Took it to 204 at the thickest point in the flat to probe tender, and here's the result:

Not bad, but not as good as briskets I've done in my Performer or Hasty-Bake. I blame it on the meat itself, as it was Canada AA grade instead of AAA or Prime. Those two are very hard to find up here though, and when they're available they're big bucks ($10/lb+ !).
Too bad it wasn’t the home run you were lookin for but still looks good!

Old 03-18-2018, 02:48 PM   #8318
benuski

Here we go! Free range chicken from Kroger:

First hang!

Chugging away

Only one mild snafu so far: I tried to lower my chimney down into the barrel, and that did not work. The most of the lit coals missed the container, so I had to pull it out and grab the lit coals (luckily my wife got me really good grill gloves!). I'm smoking it with one chuck of apple wood, and I'll let you all know how it turns out!

Last edited by benuski; 03-18-2018 at 02:54 PM..

Old 03-18-2018, 02:58 PM   #8319
davidw25
Got rid of the matchlight.

Name/Nickname : Dave

Hey everybody, new to the forums and PBC, this is my second smoke. I found these little turkey breasts at my grocer. First time ever smoking turkey. Came out pretty good!

Thinking about longer cooks for a brisket , has anyone experimented with how they space out the lit coals. I was thinking something like the image below would keep temps a little lower and extend the cooking time. (Red would be lit coals, black unlit)

Last edited by davidw25; 03-18-2018 at 03:10 PM..
davidw25 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-18-2018, 03:35 PM   #8320
Kanco Connection
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Here we go! Free range chicken from Kroger:

First hang!

Chugging away

Only one mild snafu so far: I tried to lower my chimney down into the barrel, and that did not work. The most of the lit coals missed the container, so I had to pull it out and grab the lit coals (luckily my wife got me really good grill gloves!). I'm smoking it with one chuck of apple wood, and I'll let you all know how it turns out!

Way to go, Benuski! I think all of us have had that misstep at one time or another. One of the smaller chimneys is a worthy investment. Makes dumping coals easier and also can serve as a measuring cup for the lit coals. Looking forward to results

Old 03-18-2018, 03:42 PM   #8321
Kanco Connection
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidw25 View Post
Hey everybody, new to the forums and PBC, this is my second smoke. I found these little turkey breasts at my grocer. First time ever smoking turkey. Came out pretty good!

Thinking about longer cooks for a brisket , has anyone experimented with how they space out the lit coals. I was thinking something like the image below would keep temps a little lower and extend the cooking time. (Red would be lit coals, black unlit)
Putting the lit coals mainly in their own section isn't a bad idea--Andrew has adopted this approach, I think. But his purpose is different from what you're suggesting. He puts the lit coal area opposite the intake to compensate for the burn pattern that tends to burn preferentially in the direction of the intake.

I also think there's an argument to be made that a smaller more concentrated fire might produce better smoke than a more spread out fire. The temps in the PBC (high 200s) are just fine for brisket, so I wouldn't necessarily make the adjustment just to keep temps lower.

By the way, I love turkey breast on the PBC! That's a home run for sure.

Old 03-18-2018, 03:47 PM   #8322
Kanco Connection
is One Chatty Farker

Kiddos request ribs, so ribs smokin...

Old 03-18-2018, 04:35 PM   #8323
davidw25
Got rid of the matchlight.

Name/Nickname : Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanco Connection View Post
Putting the lit coals mainly in their own section isn't a bad idea--Andrew has adopted this approach, I think. But his purpose is different from what you're suggesting. He puts the lit coal area opposite the intake to compensate for the burn pattern that tends to burn preferentially in the direction of the intake.

I also think there's an argument to be made that a smaller more concentrated fire might produce better smoke than a more spread out fire. The temps in the PBC (high 200s) are just fine for brisket, so I wouldn't necessarily make the adjustment just to keep temps lower.

By the way, I love turkey breast on the PBC! That's a home run for sure.
Thanks dude! I didn't think about the cleaner smoke potential as well. I may have to test it out sometime. True regarding the brisket, I guess I was thinking more time than temp, mid to upper 200's would be fine.

The turkey came out pretty solid.
davidw25 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-18-2018, 04:41 PM   #8324
ssv3
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Sako

I've loving all the pron guys. The PBJ clan is growing.

I'm making a confession to say I like the PBJ better. Small enough but packs the same punch as its big brother.
Blackstone Griddle Retrofit
Blackstone Pizza Oven
WSJ(K) WGA(P) WJJ(CU) W22(BI) W26(CL)
Pit Barrer Junior
Kingsford Oval (resto mod)
ssv3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-18-2018, 05:27 PM   #8325
benuski

Dinner time!

Gotta have a little greenery on the side

I liked this chicken definitely more than cooking it on my Weber kettle with the SlowNSear. The meaty flavor you all talk about is no joke, and then marrying that with some applewood was seriously good. I can't wait to keep cooking on my PBJ!

Tags
hanging meat, Hooking meat, Noah Glanville, PBC, PBJ, pit barrel cooker, pit barrel junior, pork butt, set it and forget it