Converted drumhead

BigBobBQ

Babbling Farker
I was finally after several weeks of scrounging for parts and supplies able to build my very own UDS and finished it this afternoon. I started my seasoning run and my temps were out of control even with closing all of my vents it was still running 300. I knew something was bad wrong. I got to looking and figured it had to be an air leak around the top. I made some temporary gasket with some folded aluminum foil around the whole top of the drum to seal it up tight. (I order some ceramic rope gasket for a permanent seal). I refired it up with just 10 burning briquettes and it got to right where I like it at 240 with one intake open and the ball valve at 1/4 open. It has been rock steady at that temp for the last 4 hours without me doing anything. When it shut it down within 15 minutes the temps were dropping right down. I ran it empty for the test run and know it will change a little when loaded with what I want to cook, but for a dry run for it to work so great amazed me, I figured I would have to fiddle with it quite a bit but I didn't. Now I know why you all rave about them so much.....

I still have the most love for my stickburner, but I'll never be without a UDS for the rest of my life. They are awesome cookers!

Ya they sure work great. Now just get an iQue110 and you can leave for the day and come back to finished pork butts :)

Back