Contest Announcment Covered Bridge 'Que, June 15-16, Euharlee GA

Gowan

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Come enjoy a small town contest at its best!

Deep overall payouts, permanent utilities, shade, carefully selected tables of CBJs in the Terrell Jones tradition. State Champ and GBC points event.

GBC events are selling out well in advance in 2012, so please apply online and avoid the pain of missing out. More at http://www.euharlee.com/events_bbq.aspx or jump directly to the Cooks Info doc for all the scoop.

If you're on the fence, ask anyone who was here last year. This year's event will be even better!

Gary...are you coming up again this year? I know you were passing through last year and it may have been more convenient. Kudzu Q will definitely be there again and I hope we'll see you!

I was looking at this one. Hopefully, we can make it this yr.

The only two comments I received after last year were that the trophies were lame and the Tshirts mundane. Both are being upgraded this time, and the prize money increased from 5K to $7500. Plus we have Budweiser as a sponsor, so beer will be served!

Come on and give us a try y'all. I guarantee you won't be disappointed.

We have space laid out for 36, and can fit in maybe 5-6 more depending on how many big rigs we get. I expect we will fill up with no problem.

Last year we had 34, and the trend seems to be that GBC events are maxing out this season.

My goal is not to make Covered Bridge 'Que the biggest show in Georgia, but to make it the best small town contest experience possible for cooks and judges. The City of Euharlee has been very supportive of that mission, so I think everyone who participates will enjoy themselves.

We have now received team registrations for 2/3 of the available spaces.
Get 'em in now folks before we sell out!

Dropped my check in the mail yesterday! Looking forward to it!

If you are on the fence, I would go ahead and sign up. It really is a neat contest. Kind of like a bbq contest broke out at a camp ground. Of course you are going to have to beat some of the best BBQ cooks in the country to get your name called.

I'm picking up another batch of payment confirmations from the City tomorrow. We're currently at 26 teams registered total. Looks to be a diverse field with teams from AL, NC, TN and LA as well as GA.

Trophies promise to be extra cool - custom one of a kind artwork by a local artist.

Y'all come!

No, these will be completely unique clay and wood sculptures by Keith Lewis of Rydal, GA. Truly cool, one of a kind trophies!

Gowan,

After reading the latest email to the cooks and the info on the website, all I can say is that more contest organizers could take a look at what you have setup and use some of that for their contests. It is simply amazing that "little ole Euharlee" can put together a contest that focuses that much on the cook teams and their satisfaction.

I am sure that many contest organizers go many of the extra miles you have but do not communicate it to the teams...so we are unaware of what they have done. IMO, there's nothing wrong with a little chest thumping from a contest organizer.

Again, great job, we are really looking forward to going back and having that 45 minute drive home. :grin:

Pigs on Fire said it right. Last year's competition was one of the best run event's I've been to and it looks like this year will be even better. Nice to see a contest run by a fellow competitor. I imagine Gowan has seen good and bad events and learned from them.

Looking forward to it!

Thanks guys.

As usual, I got talked into running the Euharlee event sideways. It seems to happen this way each time - it begins with answering a few questions on the phone, then progresses to a consulting role and then I feel obliged to step in formally down the road when circumstances change for the host organization. I've been involved in various capacities with quite a few other shows in Georgia, including the contests in Young Harris, Canton, Rome & Kennesaw plus a few that no longer exist like the old Georgia Barbecue Classic in Cartersville.

At the end of the day, I think the single most important factor in the success of a BBQ contest is the degree of support from the host community. As a cook, I've always found my favorite events are the ones where teams feel welcome and appreciation is expressed in all the little ways beyond just the writing of prize checks. These are the kind of shows I am proud to be associated with; I leave the for-profit events to folks better suited to that kind of environment.

-GF

It's always a pleasure to work with you, Gowan. It doesn't matter in what capacity . . . judge, cook, organizer . . it doesn't matter.

And as I said earlier, we are so looking forward to the venue of this contest! So relaxing.

Phillip

Back