Franklin Steak

greenmountainsmoke

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Just cracked open my copy that I got for Christmas. Man does that guy (guys) know how to construct a book for Q nerds! The first chapter gives a historical perspective on cows and how man came to domesticate them. Then goes on to breeds, grass v grain-fed, and other big issues that I can't get enough of.

After so many instances of buying Q books that turn out to be no more than 30 pages of method and 200 pages of recipes, it is great to dig into a topic like this book (and his other one for that matter) does.

I enjoyed the story behind/around his original BBQ book. May have to check this one out as well!

No experience with the steak book (yet), but I got his first book "Franklin Barbecue: A Meat-Smoking Manifesto" for Christmas and am loving it

Both books are a really good read. Thoughtfully produced and informative.
Great reading for smoked/grilled meat enthusiasts. :hungry:

I enjoyed Franklin's bbq manifesto book. I hate how so many cooking books are wrote by authors (I'm looking at you raichlen) and not cooks. seems they first quarter of most books are filler and they often are rife with myths

Love the Franklin books, but Steven Raichlen trained at Le Cordon Bleu and is more than an "author."

You are correct.He is a conceited prick that has no problem copying other people's cooks and incorporating them into his usuary (by exchanging one or two ingredients) to promote himself,his show and his books.Just my humble opinion.

Wow, a lot of hate towards Steven Raichlen. I've met him and found him to be quite friendly. Franklin, Mixon, Tuffy and everyone else in the business are trying to promote themselves, rubs, sauces, their restaurants, and/or smokers. Everyone in BBQ uses the same basic ingredients and cook processes, and it's the subtle tweaks that make them their own. If you don't like his recipes, that's fine, but to attack him personally doesn't seem fair to me.

Wow, a lot of hate towards Steven Raichlen. I've met him and found him to be quite friendly. Franklin, Mixon, Tuffy and everyone else in the business are trying to promote themselves, rubs, sauces, their restaurants, and/or smokers. Everyone in BBQ uses the same basic ingredients and cook processes, and it's the subtle tweaks that make them their own. If you don't like his recipes, that's fine, but to attack him personally doesn't seem fair to me.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.I stand by mine.

Back