Taco Tuesday Pics From Sunday (Al Pastor)

Would you be willing to share the recipe? That color looks as good as I've ever seen....I'm sure they're awesome!!

Thanks!
Randy

Damn. Looks great. I just got a roti up and running. I was hoping to pull off this same meal. Love Al Pastor. Great to see it work horizontally.

Care to share your marinade?

Absolutely!

The below recipe is good for 5lbs of pork. Pork butt is what I use.

Achiote Paste recipe or you can buy the ready made paste like you see in the pic. That's what gives you the color.

1 1/2 TBS achiote molido (ground annatto)

1/2 TBS ground corriander

1/2 TBS black pepper

1/3 TSP ground cloves

1/2 TSP cumin

1 TSP ground allspice

2 TSP dried oregano

5 cloves of garlic

1 TSP salt

1-2 TBS Freshly squeezed orange juice or vinegar or both

Blend all the spices in the blender or a food processor thoroughly and start adding the liquid (orange juice/vineger) slowly to form a paste like substance. Not too soft and not too hard.

The above yields 3 TBS of Achiote paste which is exactly how much is needed for 5 lbs meat.

Here is the marinade for the pork

3 TBS Achiote paste (recipe above) PS you can buy it at the store but

6 Ancho chile pods

6 Pasilla chile pods or Guajillo chile pods

3 TSP oregano

2 TSP cumin

3/4 cup white vinegar

9 cloves of garlic

Onion to taste (optional)

2 to 2 1/2 TBS salt

1-2 TSP sugar (optional)

1 fresh pineapple preferably

Break open the chile pods and dump out the seeds.

Put the chiles in boiling water and let it turn soft.

Put all the ingredients in a blender or food processer until it gets nice a runny like sauce. Add water if need be.

Chop up the pineapple into chunks.

Cut the pork butt or loin into thin strips/slices and dump the marinade plus the pineapples over them. Mix them real good and let them marinate at least 12 hrs. More wouldn't hurt.

Grill and enjoy!

That is it!!

Yessir! All day long!

Al pastor is usually what I'll order the first time I check a place out. That and/or carnitas. If they do that right, then I'll be back - kinda like seeing if a diner has a decent cheeseburger/shake/fries. I'm know I'd I'd be coming back to Casa de ssv3 after some of those! :hungry:

Thanks brother Greg!

Once again, you've knocked it out of the park, Sako!

The first salsa seems like a departure from your usual salsa roja - how was it?

Thanks Richard! Good eye. :thumb: I forgot to deseed the arbol chiles. :laugh: Still came out good since they sat overnight in the fridge which I usually do anyway.

Thanks Robb!

Off topic but how are you liking the Yoder? Fire it up yet?

You must have skimmed through my post..,lol. I found (once in a lifetime) the free YS640 on CL and decided to give it to a buddy who does not have a pellet grill. He has a large family, loves to cook outdoors, but just could not swing an expensive grill like that. He’s LOVING it! We’ve been talking a lot as he’s trying new things. I think he’s kind of fallen in love with Chef Tom at ATBBQ 🤣

You must have skimmed through my post..,lol. I found (once in a lifetime) the free YS640 on CL and decided to give it to a buddy who does not have a pellet grill. He has a large family, loves to cook outdoors, but just could not swing an expensive grill like that. He’s LOVING it! We’ve been talking a lot as he’s trying new things. I think he’s kind of fallen in love with Chef Tom at ATBBQ 🤣

You are a helluva guy! That is real class. Chef Tom is a great cook, I like the attbbq youtube channel.

Man, I envy all of your toys in the kitchen. I keep seeing a new one each time.

Truly spectacular!! And thanks for sharing your recipe — I’ll definitely try it.

Oh thats right. I remember vaguely. My mind has been so busy it skips things here and there.:laugh: Good on you man. That's an awesome thing to do. Chef Tom kicks arse. I just can't stand it when once in a while that KJ chef shows up. Apparently I'm not the only one based on the comments.

Thanks so much for sharing the recipe!! Al pastor is my favorite and the only restaurant that severed it around here took it off the menu....too much work I'm guessing. :-D

Back