If you like Jack Daniels charcoal

M

Matt_A

Tractor Supply has the 6.8# bags of the charcoal and smoking chunks on clearance for $2.99 each

Never tried it. Does it make the food taste better?

I don't know about the charcoal or the smoking chunks (never used either), but I do know that Jack Daniels does make cooking more fun! Hence my name....

I love Jack Daniels whiskey, and the wood chips made from used barrels give off a nice sweet smoke. So when I saw they had charcoal and smoking chunks, I gave it a try. Very disappointed. I don't know if I got a bad batch, but it had a funky odor and left a taste on the meat similar to charcoal fluid. Never bought another bag to see if that one was just a fluke.

Tractor Supply has the 6.8# bags of the charcoal and smoking chunks on clearance for $2.99 each

Wait a sec... at that clearance price... will need (3) bags to equal 20 lbs (20.4) = $8.97. :doh::doh:

It is excellent charcoal, and the oak pieces do a good job of flavoring. Kind of like a light hickory taste.

I bought 5 bags but ours TSC was blowing them out for 1.99 a bag and all I had was $15 on me.

I have not found a briquette that can challenge the quality of Stubbs though.

Can't find Stubbs around central Oklahoma, anybody know who carries it?

My local Lowe's carries it. They had a deal for $5/bag when it is reg. $9.00 bag. I picked up 10 bags. It is so much better than the Blue bag of Kingsford.

I have not used the JD charcoal but I do like the JD pellets and the JD chips.

Cold smoked Monterey Jack cheese using the pellets is very tasty. I've also cold smoked sea scallops with the JD pellets which turned out wonderful.

Splatchcocked chicken smoked over lump charcoal with a couple of handfuls of the JD chips is also very tastes

Doing all of the above while drinking some JD is recommended.

Our store is advertising R.O. Minit Lite 6.7lb for $4.00. What's really funny is that on the same page right next to the Minit Lite is a 32oz. R.O. Lighter fluid for $2.00. I guess this is just in case the Minit Lite fails to light. I think I'll pass on both but maybe Myron will be interested. :laugh:

I really like it for rib eyes. It's not listed for my local stores in the flyer though.

Back