Albany, NY for the next few months

SirPorkaLot

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Fellow brethren, the powers that be at my company gave me the option of taking a layoff, or taking a temporary (6 months or so) assignment in Upstate, NY.
Can you guess which one I took?

So am now 2 state kind of guy. I still have my home in Georgia, but I also have an apartment in the Albany, NY area.

While I am here I would love to meet any local brethren, check out local bbq joints, etc..

Fellow brethren, the powers that be at my company gave me the option of taking a layoff, or taking a temporary (6 months or so) assignment in Upstate, NY.
Can you guess which one I took?

So am now 2 state kind of guy. I still have my home in Georgia, but I also have an apartment in the Albany, NY area.

While I am here I would love to meet any local brethren, check out local bbq joints, etc..

Hey bud I am just 30 mins south go there all the time the Q joints are so so not many give me a shout when you get in town.

Hey bud I am just 30 mins south go there all the time the Q joints are so so not many give me a shout when you get in town.

I am here, arrived at right after new years.
Working on trying to find me a cheap used smoker so I can feed my habit while I am here. :mrgreen:

Right in front of my apartment complex is a place called Pig Pit BBQ. Nice enough guy running it, and he is using a Southern Pride cooker, but I wasn't overwhelmed by his pulled pork or brisket.
Is it normal for people to sauce their pulled pork BEFORE they serve it here?
I bought a pound of bulk pork, and it came pre-sauced, with a sweet bbq sauce.

Being a native North Carolinian, I almost fainted with shock.
Down there I believe it is against the law (should be if it isn't) to sauce pork anywhere but at the table.

I know the place well there is a place called capitol Q also I think it is Quail St I have heard it is ok also but nothing much to speak of around here. If you want good Q around here you will have to make it your self. Pre sauced is what they do here most don't know they way it should be. I have a Large Backwoods on a trailer I am waiting to sell you are welcome to use it when you want and stock your self up.

Dang! I was just in Albany Tues/Wed last week. Tues night couldn't decide what to do for dinner, so I just relaxed with some room service.

Smokey Bones is on Central Ave. I went there a couple of years ago. I don't really remember how it was, so it must not habe been too bad.

I might be back to Albany for a few days in about two weeks. Will let you know if I am and have a free night.

Dang! I was just in Albany Tues/Wed last week. Tues night couldn't decide what to do for dinner, so I just relaxed with some room service.

Smokey Bones is on Central Ave. I went there a couple of years ago. I don't really remember how it was, so it must not habe been too bad.

I might be back to Albany for a few days in about two weeks. Will let you know if I am and have a free night.

Sure thing! Let me know.
Hopefully I will have found a cheap serviceable smoker by then, if not we will go to one the the local joints and make fun of their Q. :mrgreen:

I've been to Chico's which is in Guilderland...It's right on the outskirts of Albany not bad BBQ at all.

Back