MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-18-2010, 09:14 PM   #1
Wampus
somebody shut me the fark up.

Thumbs up Grilled Chuck Eye "Steak" (roast).......WOW!!!

OK, so I actually did these a while back (Labor Day Weekend I think), but just recently had time to upload pics, so here goes.

After seeing a post by Midnight Smoke (thanks for the help again during the cook, Midnight Smoke) about chuck eyes, I had the wife pick up a 2-pack of chuck eye roast at the store. They ended up being about 2-2 1/4" thick. She said, "These are the ones I put in the crockpot to make potroast! You're gonna grill them?!" YES I AM!

Made a garlic paste by mincing garlic and then using some kosher salt and the back of the spine of my knife to grind it down. Rubbed the steaks with it, then a heavy coating of kosher salt and then a heavy coating of fresh coarse ground black pepper. Then just a light drizzle with EVOO, just enough to dampen the spices.

On the performer over direct heat for about 3-4 minutes per side to sear. These things were HUGE. Each about as big as a dinner plate.

Searing....

Then moved them to indirect heat. Here they are all seared and coming along nicely...

I think they ended up cooking indirect for about 30-40 minutes. Started some asparagus while they were finishing up.

Pulled them when they were about 130-140 internal and let them rest while I put on some portabellas drizzled with EVOO and thin slices of garlic inserted into the gills and some whole button mushrooms. All were drizzled with EVOO, and seasoned with kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper.

And had another beer.....

What a great hobby. And a great weekend.

All done....

And the plate....

Over all, I can honestly say that I have NEVER cooked a more tasty, flavorful steak than this. It was perfectly done inside (medium rare). The kids got the smaller pieces and the edges, which were more medium. Being such a thick cut, you just had to be mindful of how you carved/cut the steak while eating. Slicing on the bias (against the grain) made it just fall apart and not so much chew factor. I mean, it was pot roast, but it had a genuine steakhouse flavor with the salt, pepper and garlic.

I will DEFINITELY do this again.

Thanks for looking!

Last edited by Wampus; 09-18-2010 at 09:44 PM..
Wampus is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->

Old 09-18-2010, 09:15 PM   #2
Boshizzle

I've been married long enough to know that the remark "You are going to grill them?" was really her way of saying "Don't ruin those roasts by grilling them!" Wow! That's a nice looking meal. Congrats on a great job, bro!

Old 09-18-2010, 09:35 PM   #3
Beast Drinker
Full Fledged Farker

That looks delicious, I love grilled roasts, they're good in an iron skillett too. Veggies look great too. I like to grill a top round usually,sometimes I serve it as london broil sometimes I put it in the meat slicer and cut it across the grain and make pit beef sandwiches. But I haven't grilled a chuck roast in a coons age. I wish I could change that right now!
18" Weber OTS aka #1, Smokey Joe gold, 18" WSM, dirt late model
Beast Drinker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-18-2010, 09:37 PM   #4
GRILLMONSTER
Knows what a fatty is.

Nice job.I love chuck eyes.They are very tender and have a great flavor,often over looked
GRILLMONSTER is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-18-2010, 09:47 PM   #5
The Grill Sergeant
Full Fledged Farker

I know of no rules that say roasts have to be cooked as roasts. That's a delicious looking meal. I especially like the thin sliced garlic in the mushrooms! And, asparagus on the grill is WONDERFUL! Thanks for the pics.

Old 09-18-2010, 09:54 PM   #6
Big George's BBQ

Name/Nickname : George

Very Nice
Big George's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-18-2010, 10:07 PM   #7
Smiter Q
is One Chatty Farker

Wampus, very nice meal. I yet to cook a chuck eye. Second pic from the bottom really shows some juice in it.
Is the texture like a london broil, or chewier?
Brian: Weber: OTG + Lime Performer - - Keeping the Armor On - Eph. 6:11
Smiter Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-18-2010, 10:15 PM   #8
Crazy Harry
is Blowin Smoke!

good job.

[URL]http://www.teddybearcreations-wa.com[/URL]
Note to mods: is the back link ok?
When all else fails ......
Crazy Harry is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-18-2010, 10:20 PM   #9
Wampus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiter Q View Post
Wampus, very nice meal. I yet to cook a chuck eye. Second pic from the bottom really shows some juice in it.
Is the texture like a london broil, or chewier?
Honestly.......I don't know what a london broil is....

EDIT: OK, I just googled london broil.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London_broil
Looks like it's a thick flank or top round steak. I've done flank steak on the grill for fajitas, but not cooked like a london broil. The flanks I do are usually about 1/2" thick, so I couldn't tell ya. The other thing is that the chuck eye has "short" grain, like a regular steak. The london broil (flank) has the grain running the length of the cut, like a brisket. As far as the flank steak that I have done, I'd say that the chuck eye's were more tender.

Like I said, it was chewy if you just cut a chunk off and went at it. The roast has like 4 or 5 pieces of muscle that are all connected by a lot of connective tissue. Midnight smoke and I PM'd back and forth about it, and he said his sometimes seperate during the cook, but mine didn't. Once you got a good piece of meat, if you cut a chunk off, laid it on it's side and then sliced against the grain, it was as good a juicy, tender steak as I've ever had. If you didn't cut it like that and you just had a piece that the grain was still 2" thick, you had to chew a bit, but I still didn't mind. I guess the texture was like a sirloin, only a really THICK one.

I considered trying to slice them in half "thick-wise", so I'd have steaks about 1"+, but decided against it. I may try that next time if I get some really thick ones again to see if that makes a difference.

Thanks for all the kind words all.

Old 09-18-2010, 10:25 PM   #10
Smiter Q
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wampus View Post
Honestly.......I don't know what a london broil is.... .

Thanks again. A London Broil, I may of used the wrong name. It is a top round, london broil may be the way it is cooked.
I also like the garlic slices in the shroom gills!
Brian: Weber: OTG + Lime Performer - - Keeping the Armor On - Eph. 6:11
Smiter Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-18-2010, 11:08 PM   #11
Captain P.J.
Full Fledged Farker

Awsome pictures!! Maybe next time you might want to try a reverse sear on those. 2 hours or so with some hickory then finish over direct heat. I did that to some NY strips few weeks back and they turned out fantastic! Great job!

Old 09-19-2010, 01:10 AM   #12
KnucklHed BBQ
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Head KnucklHed

Nice looking meal youve got there!!

I'm quite certain that the cut that you have is not a chuck eye however...

The chuck eye is the end of the rib eye that pokes its way into the shoulder it's usually quite small in diameter, most of the time a medalion about 4" across or sometimes slightly enlongated. There are usually only 2 - 1 1/2" steaks taken off each side of the cow because the piece that pokes into the shoulder is so short.

The texture of the chuck eye is unmistakeable... if you've ever had a rib steak with a large outter lip on it (the almost flaky, well marbled outter strip) then you're in for a treat cuz nearly the whole chuck eye is that flaky lip type of meat!

I have seen correctly labeled chuck eye's at wally world if you would like to compare what you had to those.

I'm guessing that maybe you ended up with a chuck roast?? they are quite a bit larger (still very tasty too!).

And just to be an even bigger know-it-all A-hole... a true london broil IS flank steak! it's just that the butchers did a switch-a-roo on us and now we get stuff labeled as LB but it ain't...
[B]1967' Int'l Harvester M1100 Food Truck, 220ci 6cyl - 5' ABS Judge - Plethora of Weber Kettles - 2 WSM 22.5's – Bunch of Thermapen Mk's - 36” BlackStone - 3 Bayou Classic Fryers - Ice Cold Kegerator[/B]

[B][I]“We shall throw our bacon wrapped all beef justice upon the wooden skewers of truth to be held on high and let them know that we will not stand for this.” ~Butz[/I][/B]
KnucklHed BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-19-2010, 02:07 AM   #13
Phesant
Babbling Farker

Nicely done Wampus, that's a nice slab of meat , and those shrooms look great.....
MMMMMMMMMMMMM.....mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

WSM
Char-Griller Super Pro w/SFB
Grill Sargent
Turkey / Fish Fryer
Weber Ranch Kettle "Lucky Girl" (A Stamp, 1979), [COLOR=darkorange][B]ORANGE THERMAPEN[/B][/COLOR]
[COLOR=black]Proud member of the Zero's :thumb:[/COLOR]
Phesant is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-19-2010, 02:19 PM   #14
Wampus

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnucklHed BBQ View Post
Nice looking meal youve got there!!

I'm quite certain that the cut that you have is not a chuck eye however...

The chuck eye is the end of the rib eye that pokes its way into the shoulder it's usually quite small in diameter, most of the time a medalion about 4" across or sometimes slightly enlongated. There are usually only 2 - 1 1/2" steaks taken off each side of the cow because the piece that pokes into the shoulder is so short.

The texture of the chuck eye is unmistakeable... if you've ever had a rib steak with a large outter lip on it (the almost flaky, well marbled outter strip) then you're in for a treat cuz nearly the whole chuck eye is that flaky lip type of meat!

I have seen correctly labeled chuck eye's at wally world if you would like to compare what you had to those.

I'm guessing that maybe you ended up with a chuck roast?? they are quite a bit larger (still very tasty too!).

And just to be an even bigger know-it-all A-hole... a true london broil IS flank steak! it's just that the butchers did a switch-a-roo on us and now we get stuff labeled as LB but it ain't...
Actually, you know-it-all A-hole (), according to what I read just last night, a london broil technically refers to the method of cooking, and not the cut of meat. A london broil is done on a reverse sear. Low'n'slow for hours and then seared and sliced across the grain. Although, I also did read that typically, a thick flank is used for london broil. This all according to wikepedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London_broil

I suspect that you're correct about it being mis-labeled as a chuck eye and that I did have chuck roasts, but I double checked with the wife and it was indeed marked as a chuck eye, not that means anything.

Whatever it was......it was GOOOOOOOOOD!!! I know that!

Old 09-19-2010, 03:57 PM   #15
codstar
Found some matches.

Looks like some good eats bro! I need to try the roast on the grill myself.