MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-05-2009, 10:11 PM   #61
BigAl
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD McGee View Post
Hmmm...the only thing I remember coming home from the butcher in a brown paper bag was "Shine"...
Back home, long ago, when the dairy delivered milk to the homes, "Shine" would be left in glass milk bottles painted white, until the driver made a mistake on one delivery and when the mother poured shine out for the baby......, well another going business was shut down

You can whip our Cream but you can't beat our SPAM.:clap:
[URL="http://www.AllenWilmer.com"]
[/URL]
BigAl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-05-2009, 10:34 PM   #62
leanza
Babbling Farker

Preciate the classroom instrution. Could'nt get it no where else....Sensei!

Old 03-06-2009, 07:19 AM   #63
Black Cat BBQ
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbefunkoramaque View Post
  • Have eaten at one of the Texas Meccas which are limited to Kreuz, Smittys, Blacks, Muellers, Angelos, Taylor Café, Southside Market, Mt Zion, etc, etc. and already accept they turn out a tender product. These people already have a target to shoot for.!
not to hijack this thread...out of Kreuz, Smitty's and Blacks which do you recommend? The end of this month we are traveling to Johnson City for a CASI and LSBS comp. We have the time to visit a couple of the Texas Meccas and want to choose properly - I dont think I can eat lunch at 3 different places. Do you still know people who would let us get back to the pits and "touch" the meat? Any info would be helpful!
Black Cat BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-06-2009, 07:33 AM   #64
watg?
is One Chatty Farker

wow....what a great post!.....gonna have to get back after work with a smooth drink and do some serious re reading. Might even print off a copy, this needs further study. Good stuff...thanks for reviving!

(my Mom did something similar to this for years with a brisket flat, some foil, and a pack of onion soup mix, everyone always asked her to bring it to house parties. I just can't remember what she did with the foil...???)

Startin the Fire-(a book) Everything you need to know about starting a competition BBQ team. (except the recipes) www.startinthefire.com

"Let me have a diablo sandwich and a Dr. Pepper, make it fast, I'm in a ---damn hurry". Sheriff Buford T.Justice
watg? is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-06-2009, 07:38 AM   #65
HeSmellsLikeSmoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Cat BBQ View Post
[/LIST]not to hijack this thread...out of Kreuz, Smitty's and Blacks which do you recommend? The end of this month we are traveling to Johnson City for a CASI and LSBS comp. We have the time to visit a couple of the Texas Meccas and want to choose properly - I dont think I can eat lunch at 3 different places. Do you still know people who would let us get back to the pits and "touch" the meat? Any info would be helpful!
Do a crawl of all three. Easy to do with the way they serve the meat by the pound. Smitty's closes at 6:00 so plan accordingly.

Each one has its good points. If atmosphere is important to you, Smitty's first, Black's next then Kreuz. If brisket is important it depends on what particular brisket they cut into for you. Last time I was there, Kreuz's was the best.

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle

Last edited by HeSmellsLikeSmoke; 03-06-2009 at 08:01 AM..
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-06-2009, 08:03 AM   #66
jonboy
is One Chatty Farker

Sneaking in the back door of the party a little late...
I've decided to join the revolution.
The pictures that follow are:

I grabbed a brisket that had been laying around.

I trimmed the point and flat and added celery salt and pepper lightly.

Ready for the 4 1/2 hour journey in the oven.

Fresh from the oven.

Juices removed.

Under the broiler for a few minutes.

Finished Brisket.

JURY-Your Findings?
jon
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN1234.jpg (104.1 KB, 585 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1236.jpg (116.8 KB, 584 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1238.jpg (78.0 KB, 580 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1239.jpg (131.8 KB, 587 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1240.jpg (121.7 KB, 585 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1241.jpg (115.6 KB, 582 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1243.jpg (124.7 KB, 579 views)
jonboy is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-06-2009, 08:10 AM   #67
frognot

Name/Nickname : Charles

Hadn't been to Smitty's but i'd go Kreuz if could only hit one. Crawl is the way to go.

Large Big Green Egg

"If you really care about this place, you'll show some respect for it." deguerre

"Bludawg looks just like I thought he would. Frognot looks like Tuffy Stone's dad!" aawa

" . . . which includes frognot, who is a SoCal Pharker by now" gtr
frognot is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 03-06-2009, 08:39 AM   #68
barbefunkoramaque
Babbling Farker

I have been satisfied with briskets done either way... LOL personally, to use a GREAT plowboy term one can be schizophrenic about it. I personally flip merely to reseason, which give it more taste I thing ON MY SMOKER!!!! on your's it may differ.

the truth be told, the benefits from the fat cap as a PROTECTOR of the meat from aggresive heat is equal to that as its role as a baster. In addition, upside down, the meat stops the fat and acts like a marrier to juices and fat anyway so it Puddles up when upside down.

we have discussed that before though. hell, vencil mares says, it don't matter as long as you don't move it due to flow of seasonings. LOL I break that rule too. Maybe I shouldn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff H. View Post
There are plenty of people who believe that if the fat cap is up, the juice will gravity feed itself thru the brisket. Therfore keeping it moist.

I think it makes more sense that the juice only goes one way. OUT. This is how the self basting effect works. Fat is breaking down and running off of or out of the brisket.

Are we in agreement ?

Old 03-06-2009, 08:44 AM   #69
barbefunkoramaque
Babbling Farker

my opinion is between those three just go early, go to Smittys for the History (used to be Kreuz until the fued split them and Kreuz moved to new facility) and Blacks which is a different family. The new smitty's in the OLD Kreuz building is.... well soot stained with more than 60 years of bbq.

DO NOT GO LATE!!! they do not use steam holders. noon is perfect!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Cat BBQ View Post
[/list]not to hijack this thread...out of Kreuz, Smitty's and Blacks which do you recommend? The end of this month we are traveling to Johnson City for a CASI and LSBS comp. We have the time to visit a couple of the Texas Meccas and want to choose properly - I dont think I can eat lunch at 3 different places. Do you still know people who would let us get back to the pits and "touch" the meat? Any info would be helpful!

Old 03-06-2009, 09:06 AM   #70
barbefunkoramaque
Babbling Farker

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ight=soulbread

Make this during the restign period

Old 03-06-2009, 09:29 AM   #71
JD McGee

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonboy View Post
Sneaking in the back door of the party a little late...
I've decided to join the revolution.
The pictures that follow are:

I grabbed a brisket that had been laying around.

I trimmed the point and flat and added celery salt and pepper lightly.

Ready for the 4 1/2 hour journey in the oven.

Fresh from the oven.

Juices removed.

Under the broiler for a few minutes.

Finished Brisket.

JURY-Your Findings?
jon
Sooo...how was the brisky? Did you probe it per Funk's instructions and "feel" the resistance...or lack of? (hopefully)
JD McGee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-06-2009, 09:46 AM   #72
barbefunkoramaque
Babbling Farker

I know someone (Little old lady) that doesn't like to heat up her house with that big old oven and instead has an oval crockpot.

She wraps it up and puts it DRY in her Crockpot on high or medium depending on whats going on. NO mess.

Of course this isn't about Crotchpot cooking so I apologize for getting off thread.

LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by watg? View Post
wow....what a great post!.....gonna have to get back after work with a smooth drink and do some serious re reading. Might even print off a copy, this needs further study. Good stuff...thanks for reviving!

(my Mom did something similar to this for years with a brisket flat, some foil, and a pack of onion soup mix, everyone always asked her to bring it to house parties. I just can't remember what she did with the foil...???)

Old 03-06-2009, 09:53 AM   #73
jonboy
is One Chatty Farker

I thought that i should add a little more evidence to this case : barbefunkoramaque vs Texas brisket
I was invited to experience the Taste and the Texture of Texas Brisket without leaving the confines of my homeland or even the kitchen. I would not be required to travel and leave family or friends on the pursuit of brisket. My bank account or lack of one would not be harmed. And I could experience Texas Brisket at home.
A fools dream.
But i accepted the challenge, blindly.
I now stand and report my findings.
Well maybe a brief bit of my story. I was born in a small town on the wrong side of the tracks, where only the privileged owned bbq pits and could afford the meat that goes on them. I was taught that the hibachi was the same thing but I knew different. I could see the smoke rise above the tracks. I could inhale as it flowed towards our shack, but i couldn't taste the meat. I longed for the day when i would be invited to partake. To be able to experience, creosote-free meat that was my dream. To taste, to feel, that is what i lived for.
Time passed. Girlfriends, Wives, Sons but the yearning was always there...
Time forward to a few days ago...
The opportunity arrived to experience brisket. I accepted the challenge and now I know... the feel of brisket
... the taste of brisket
... the texture of brisket
... the flavor of brisket
... the snap of a brisket
This new evidence or the the case against it doesnt provide me with what bbq is. Rather it tells me the direction, South-SouthWest, and points me toward my dream...
jon
jonboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-06-2009, 10:01 AM   #74
orangeblood
Full Fledged Farker

Funk: great post. I like the way you blew up a lot of the non sense that goes around about rubs, injection, slathers, foil / plastic wrap, etc. and brisket.

In my opinion, brisket is much harder to master than pork (I am still trying to "master" brisket ... I hope I get there some day). Many of the points you made in your post made sense when I thought back to my numerous less than awesome briskets.

BTW - I have eaten at all of the central Texas "meccas" (it easy to do when you have been around as long as I have and got learned up in a collige near by) and I still enjoyed your post.
orangeblood is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-06-2009, 10:11 AM   #75
barbefunkoramaque
Babbling Farker

Now... when is somebody gonna talk about the true reason for this thread...

Prince's Guitar on WholeLottaLove, HonkyTalk Woman, and esp... Purplehouse.

Y'all never understand that I actually rattle on about BBQ and Brisket only to talk about the funk!

And how bout that Stevie Wonder on the Drums?