Any Cheese Makers out there?

CharredApron

Babbling Farker

Batch Image
Reaction score
Do any of you make your own cheese? I know how to cut the cheese, so no comments necessary along those lines. But if anyone makes there own cheddar I would like to know where you get the cultures and rennet. I would like to make my own culture.

Thanks,
Jed (Recently Promoted to Weapons Officer)

Here in Northern California we can get that stuff at the local home brewing shop. They also carry the stuff to make home made vinegar.

NUTZ

I have made mozzarella several times and each time I have improved the process. The quality of the milk, and the type of rennet are important. After a fair amount of research, I found www.cheeseandyogurtmaking.com and bought liquid animal rennet and citric acid from them along with a book that has been quite helpful.

I have been trying to perfect the mozzarella before moving on to other cheeses, but am itching to try cheddar.

There is a place in Madison,Wi called
GetCulture.com or Dairyconnection.com.
Both .coms are owned and operated by the same person

I occasionally smoke cheese, and often cut the cheese, but I have not made it.

Can you make cheese in small amounts?

CD

I occasionally smoke cheese, and often cut the cheese, but I have not made it.

Can you make cheese in small amounts?

CD

Sure you can. However, it takes the same amount of work to make a small amount as it does 2 lbs though. It is best to start with small amount until you get the process wired.

This is the homebrew shop near me.

http://thebrewhut.com/brewing-products/cheese-making/

They ship and have a decent selection of cheese stuff.

I've made two mozzarellas and one cheddar. When I first tried the cheddar it was a bit bitter, so I'm still aging it to see if it mellows out. But I'm too busy making beer and learning Que, so something had to give....

Waxed my Cheddar yesterday and now she's ready for the cave. See ya in 6 Mos.

Had to cut one to taste it and it's really good, now to wait until it's aged a bit!
Thanks for all the advice from everyone!
Jed

Back