MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-22-2013, 10:45 PM   #31
willbird
Full Fledged Farker

A general question on this whole topic, I bought a huge block of yeast at a local grocery store, how do you store it once you open the vacuum sealed package ?? It is Red Star yeast and 1lb package. I'm wondering how Buccaneer's recipe will work out with plain old general purpose flour to practice making some pies without using the dopple 0 flour ??
willbird is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-22-2013, 10:48 PM   #32
buccaneer
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by willbird View Post
A general question on this whole topic, I bought a huge block of yeast at a local grocery store, how do you store it once you open the vacuum sealed package ?? It is Red Star yeast and 1lb package. I'm wondering how Buccaneer's recipe will work out with plain old general purpose flour to practice making some pies without using the dopple 0 flour ??
If it is good quality bakers flour it will work out perfectly!
I'd still go for it anyway, great to practice and the results will be yummy, why not?

Ive never seen live yeast here, sorry, others will know.

Thanks from:--->
Old 03-22-2013, 10:53 PM   #33
landarc

cake yeast needs to be stored cold and should be carefully wrapped and stored in an airtight container in the fridge. I store it in the bottom shelf area. I wrap in waxed paper or parchment paper, then into a Tupperware or similar device.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-22-2013, 10:56 PM   #34
landarc

I use AP flour and pastry flour for making bread, along with 00 and bread flour, it all works.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-23-2013, 10:47 AM   #35
MI Smoke
Full Fledged Farker

A pic of the pizza dough I make -
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1214.jpg (76.0 KB, 125 views)
MI Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-24-2013, 09:38 AM   #36
willbird
Full Fledged Farker

I mixed up a batch of the Buccaneer recipe with cake flour for later today :-). I grabbed a bottle of red star at the grocery store, better than the little packets :-)

Old 03-24-2013, 10:35 AM   #37
rcbaughn
Full Fledged Farker

Did you get a good windowpane with the cake flour? I've tried to make one pizza with White Lily which is pretty much cake flour and it just never turned into pizza dough, wasn't strong enough and didn't have the high protein like bread flours do. Please post up your results, I may need to give the ole White Lily again.

Old 03-24-2013, 06:24 PM   #38
Boochie
Knows what a fatty is.

Default This recipe rocks!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by buccaneer View Post
I haven't found a better recipe, for it uses the fermentation and needs no rolling or proving machines, not even a mixer and yet the base is exquisite.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=155967
Buccaneer, this is awesome. I ha e tried a lot of recipes but this is not only easy but ready in 2 hours. The crust was crispy yet had a chew. I cooked mine on the egg. I will tell you don't go past 550 even with the diffuser and a stone. 700 was to hot.

Thanks again buccaneer!
Boochie is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 03-25-2013, 09:22 AM   #39
boogiesnap
Babbling Farker

Quote:
mine was wrapped tightly in wax paper and in a ziplock in the fridge. they died after 3 weeks. i now have a new block frozen.

avatar by grillman. patent pending. :mad2::becky:
boogiesnap is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-25-2013, 09:41 AM   #40
rcbaughn
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogiesnap View Post
mine was wrapped tightly in wax paper and in a ziplock in the fridge. they died after 3 weeks. i now have a new block frozen.
Where are you guys getting these blocks of cake yeast? Is it the kind you crumble straight into the flour? All I can find is ADY and IDY and that just doesn't provide the same flavors I've read as fresh cake yeast does. I'd give a pretty penny to be able to find it in Alabama.

Old 03-25-2013, 09:47 AM   #41
boogiesnap
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcbaughn View Post
Where are you guys getting these blocks of cake yeast? Is it the kind you crumble straight into the flour? All I can find is ADY and IDY and that just doesn't provide the same flavors I've read as fresh cake yeast does. I'd give a pretty penny to be able to find it in Alabama.
restaurant depot. a pound block is like $1.50.

while not quite as flavorful as say a sourdough starter(which i could never master), it really is much better in taste and performance than dry yeast.

Old 03-25-2013, 10:00 AM   #42
willbird
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Did you get a good windowpane with the cake flour? I've tried to make one pizza with White Lily which is pretty much cake flour and it just never turned into pizza dough, wasn't strong enough and didn't have the high protein like bread flours do. Please post up your results, I may need to give the ole White Lily again.
With the "no knead" idea generally I'm not sure you would EVER get windowpane dough ?? It was only my second try in recent history, it was "ok" but nothing to rave about, still finding my way :-). My dough may have been on the cool side generally. I will try GP flour next time. Next time I think I will try more of a wet mix first (75% of the flour) then work in the remaining 25%.

I found the large block of yeast at a local market that has a lot of bulk foods, if you have a local Amish population (dunno if you have then in New England hehe) find the bulk food stores that cater to them and you will find all kinds of stuff pretty cheap in bulk, spices esp.

Bill

Old 03-25-2013, 10:53 AM   #43
boogiesnap
Babbling Farker

Quote:
i'm playing with a high gluten flour from RD currently, but i had VERY good results
with heckers:

http://www.heckersceresota.com/index.html

Old 03-25-2013, 11:17 AM   #44
rcbaughn
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
With the "no knead" idea generally I'm not sure you would EVER get windowpane dough ?? It was only my second try in recent history, it was "ok" but nothing to rave about, still finding my way :-).
I think by the end of the no knead you should be able to get a pretty good windowpane. The act of the yeast slowly working on the rise forms the gluten instead of actually using physical kneading to do it. Also creates less oxidation in the dough too which is supposedly a good thing for getting higher proofing.

Next time try a high protein AP like King Arthur or a bread flour. Makes a world of difference in my breads at least. Good flavor, rise, and browning!

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogiesnap View Post
i'm playing with a high gluten flour from RD currently, but i had VERY good results
with heckers:

http://www.heckersceresota.com/index.html
I'm a huge King Arthur flour guy and usually always use their AP and bread flour. I get my best rises and end results from them even though they are slightly higher in price. If I need to save money I'll buy Gold Medal, but honestly with all the effort that goes into good bread and pizza it's really worth the extra $2.50 a bag if you ask me.

I'll have to look up that Heckers though for sure!

Old 03-25-2013, 11:23 AM   #45
boogiesnap
Babbling Farker

i tried KA for pizza. found the heckers to be better suited. at least for the type of dough i've been going for. (NY)