Yet another UDS is born

jocosa

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
After researching the mega-thread and reading multiple threads on UDS construction, I picked up a drum locally at a drum recycling center, had a friend cut the top out and weld the nipples for me, and then the rest was up to me and my hubby.

We got down to business this last Saturday with a weed burner - when that didn't prove to work as fast as we hoped, we piled some oak splits in the barrel and burned it out. We hit the top third of the drum with the weed burner as the oak crackled and took care of the bottom 2/3.

Sunday morning, we wire brushed the inside and out, I painted it and got it ready to season. Just doing the intital burn/seasoning taught me a lot... we'll christen it with pork fat this coming Sunday... a few fatties and some MOINKS. Sunday we'll put on ribs and maybe a butt or two.

Here's a few pics:

burn1.jpg

burn2

burn3

done1

done2

Great looking UDS! Hope mine turns out half that good.

Great job! I'm going to look for a barrel this week!!! Hope mine turns out as nice as yours!!!

jocasa, that is a very nice looking drum. Looks like you did your homework very well. You will enjoy that bad more soooo much. Request, could you post a pic or two of the lid. It looks a little different than most with a more flat outer band. May just be the camera angle but looks interesting. Thanks and job well done!!!

Thanks guys - this gal is truly tickled with her work... (with the help of hubby and a friend.)

The friend who cut the top out took the liberty of adding/welding on a thin band of metal around the edge - as he says 'to keep the lid from sliding all over the place.'

It's a nice touch, and I'll be adding a bead of high-temp silicone to give it a better seal. I'll have more pics tomorrow.

welcome to the wonderful world of a drumhead. Smoke on Bro.:-D:cool:

looks to good!!! remember the name is UGLY drum smoker!!:mrgreen::mrgreen:

Outstanding DrumPit Build!!!
Time to get it Dirty with some Smoking of Meats......:-D

Congrats on a very nice build!!!
One question... how do you remove the lid? Winch? :mrgreen:
That's a whole lotta pipe up there.

Weiser

Weiser - it doubles as our workout station too. 8) We'll probably replace that with something else later on.

Found my cheapie tripod-BBQ-wannabe to use as an ash pan today.... saw them at Family Dollar and Ace Hardware - about $10.

Nice build. A new female drumhead joins the drumcorp.
Just curious, why the elbow on the exhaust. I tried that and found the weight made it a bit of a pain to balance when removing and replacing. I use a short 2" diameter pipe and to keep moisture out and shut down I do what my granddad did on his old tractor, put a tin can over the exhaust.

Nice job Jocosa. . .

I have a couple of questions. Did the burn on the inside take the paint off the outside? It looks like you got a real smooth paint job. I hate scaping and sanding and wire brushing, but for a good paint job it would be worth it.

What kind of paint did you use?

Barbarian - the elbow was my husband's idea - I like the idea of dropping it and using a can... thanks! :)

ScroogeFan... the burn on the inside took off some of the paint on the outside.... not really a whole lot. While the burnout was going, we also took the weed burner and hit the top third - between the two, it loosened up the paint a whole lot - the burnout really helped prep the outer paint for wire brushing. It would have been a pain otherwise.

We had a couple cans of high temp paint (Rustoleum, I think) on hand, and that was what we used. Thanks for your kind words on the paint job - I'm far from a spray paint artist, but this came out pretty good I think. It's got a few runs and drips here and there, but that was my impatience coming into play.

Lots of learning on this one - I have no doubt it'll make some fine Q - but the next one we build will go much faster... :)

Back