• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Wood fired brick oven build

Carbon

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Here are some progression shots of what I've been building the past few weekends.
It's a pompeii brick pizza oven which can be used for practically everything else from smoking low and slow to grilling, and anything in between taking advantage of its retained, residual heat after the initial firing. Interior floor space is 34" in diameter.
I'm currently curing the oven with a series of low and slow fires using charcoal briquette and will move onto burning wood and higher temps next week.
The one photo of the burn was my very first fire, just buring some scrap cardboard.
I still need to add stack height to the chimney to meet code and finish shaping and stuccoing the exterior.

Thanks for looking,
George

Attachments

• P1040421.jpg
    P1040421.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 660
  • P1040471.jpg
    P1040471.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 652
  • P1040517.jpg
    P1040517.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 649
  • P1040620.jpg
    P1040620.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 647
  • P1040707.jpg
    P1040707.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 652
did you use Forna Bravo plans or is this of your own devising? Also how much did all the materials cost? I have been kicking around the idea of making a Cob Oven simply because i can get the whole thing built for about $30 but the brick ovens seem to be much easier to construct and that might be worth the extra money.

:clap2::clap2::clap2::thumb::clap2::clap2::clap2: Looks to be a great looking oven, very nicely done!
:thumb:

Nice work my dad was a mason and also trained me to be one. Never mind the pizzas can you imagine the other great food you can cook on that. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks for all your thoughts and comments! Much appreciated.

did you use Forna Bravo plans or is this of your own devising? Also how much did all the materials cost? I have been kicking around the idea of making a Cob Oven simply because i can get the whole thing built for about $30 but the brick ovens seem to be much easier to construct and that might be worth the extra money.
Hi....I did go over their plans just to get some basic info but the majority of my build plans and ideas came from looking at dozens of other people's oven build threads.
So far this project has cost me about $1,000 and I pretty much have on hand the rest of the materials to finish this project. The most expensive components of the buid were the ceramic insulation boards and blankets, then the cost of firebricks.

George

That is awesome!! Did you build the stand as well? Looks like maybe you used concrete forms to build it? I want one!

Bob

Beautiful work, you know your masonry it looks like. I see wood-fired chicken soon in your future.

Dude, that is a great looking oven. Your masonry skills are amazing. I wished my oven looked that nice. Congrats :clap2:

That's an ambitious project and it looks great so far.
Very nice.

Thanks guys, for the additional thoughts!

The oven had a lot of residual heat from last night's 500 degree curing fire and with fuel spent during the night, the oven still held over 300 degrees all day long today. This should improve further as the oven drys out with continued firings.

With all this heat in the oven I decided to throw a rack of spareribs in there this evening. I left it in there for about 3 hours, no foiling, and I must say, I was pretty happy with the result, being the very first food item to cook in the oven.

I also did some additional work on the oven while the ribs were going...:D

George

Attachments

• P1040712.jpg
    P1040712.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 265
  • P1040721.jpg
    P1040721.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 265
  • P1040716.jpg
    P1040716.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 267
Wow great job, been looking and thinging about one of those for a long time. I really like the base design will you share it?

Back