Pit Barrel Cooker

16Adams

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
Yesterday was three hanging racks of baby backs and then inserted grate and grilled pork chops for spicy BBQ with kimchi cole slaw. Today beer can chicken. I love my current line up, but a successful cook every time occurs with the Pit Barrel Cooker.

I sold two WSM's and my Akorn when I bought the PBC.
They were just sitting under their covers. Barrel cooking is here to stay.

Last edited:
It's a good cooking process for sure...i have conversions for the UDS when i want to hang meat or go on the grate for others.

Congratulations on your recent PBC. When you find something that works well, you really do enjoy using it.

When I bought my Humphrey's I put up 4 smokers for adoption to friends and family. I kept one propane smoker to use as a holding oven. No need to hang on to the others when something works so well.

Brings a smile

Barrels are fun.

Last edited:
I could go for bird...looks great!

Nice can...I may have to consider a PBC once the UDS bites the dust.

Dos pollos

One will be for chicken sausage gumbo and one for just eating. Whether you build your own UDS, buy a UDS or buy a Pit Barrel Cooker I think barrel cooking is a neat part of the BBQ experience.

"A chicken in every barrel".

I think somebody said that a long time ago

Everything you can do on a PBC, can be done, and done better on a WSM. Do you disagree?

Last edited:
Excellent cook. The Pbc is a work horse. Cooks some lamb ribs and sausage yesterday and the meal was delicious and moist. Half basket of coals ran for 8 hours at 290

And that's a wrap

Crispy skin, juicy bird. Amen

Last edited:
How big are the grates on the pbc? 22?

Looks great

Is that a lower grate wrapped in foil or something else?

Grate

Grate area is 240 sq". It comes with 8 hooks for hanging but at times I foil my pizza stone and place a can of beer inside the birds and use the grate level. The pizza stone is 18". I've never actually measured the grate. A 240 sq" circle would have a radius approaching 8.8+ so D=2r so approx 18" grate.

I've been rocking the PBC since Aug, and even though we had a rocky start, I've been able to adjust how much charcoal I start with and how many I light in the charcoal chimney, etc to find tremendous results! This bad boy is truly set it and forget it.

I do plan to eventually pick up a WSM (and a BGE, and a Trager, and a Backwoods, etc).

Hopefully some less guilty pot pie tonight. May just make the biscuits and pour the skinny pot pie heated mixture over or on sour dough toast. Still a ton of carbs, mainly from Bisquick.

Prep Time 20 min Total Time 50 min Servings 6
Ingredients

cup cut-up cooked chicken
bag (12 oz) Green Giant® Valley Fresh Steamers™ frozen mixed vegetables, thawed
can (10 3/4 oz) condensed 98% fat-free cream of chicken soup
1/2
cup fat-free (skim) milk
cup Bisquick Heart Smart® mix
1/2
cup fat-free (skim) milk
egg

Back