MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-01-2010, 12:39 AM   #1
energyzer
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Thanksgiving Turkey (PRON)

This was some of the best Turkey I've had. The only problem was the skin. I smoked between 325 and 350, but the skin was chewy. I pulled it off, and the meat was great. I did notice that the breast didn't take on as much smoke as the legs did. Why would that be?

Last edited by energyzer; 07-15-2011 at 06:36 PM..
energyzer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-01-2010, 01:09 AM   #2
Pyle's BBQ
Babbling Farker

Looks great. When cooking at higher temps your meat will go through the temp range where it will absorb the smoke faster so it will not get as much smoke. The breast was probably done before the legs and thighs.

Yoder YS640; Good-One "Trail Boss" 60T; Weber Kettle rotisserie ring; Big A$$ Rotisserie; New Braunfels offset smoker; Weber Smokey Mountain; Backyard Bombers BBQ HJM

Μολν λαβέ
Pyle's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-01-2010, 07:39 AM   #3
chambersuac
somebody shut me the fark up.

Yeah, that looks good. Did you ice the breast? It helps the breast and dark meat get done closer to the same time.

IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball maker and IMBAS Sgt. At Arms.

And now, brethren, I commend you to God, and to the word of his grace, which is able to build you up, and to give you an inheritance among all them which are sanctified. [Acts 20:32 KJV]
chambersuac is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-01-2010, 07:43 AM   #4
bigabyte

Looks good! Tell us more about how you cooked it.
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-01-2010, 07:47 AM   #5
Mister Bob
Babbling Farker

That looks great, I'll bet it was delicious!
Skin is almost always the problem with smoked turkey. It just won't crisp up at those temperatures and it's kind of thick to achieve a bite through consistency. I think next time I'll break it down, then smoke it, then deep fry it. Get the best of both worlds, smokey flavor and crispy skin.
Mister Bob, Pitmaster - Smokestack Lightning, Bad Ass Barbecue. KCBS CBJ #31759 - IMBAS Certified MOINK Baller
Mister Bob is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-01-2010, 08:34 AM   #6
energyzer
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyle's BBQ View Post
Looks great. When cooking at higher temps your meat will go through the temp range where it will absorb the smoke faster so it will not get as much smoke. The breast was probably done before the legs and thighs.
Actually, they were done at the same time. I had the probe in the breast, which was in the center of the drum, and had the legs at the edges of the drum, where it was hotter. I took the breast up to 160. When I tested the legs at that point, they were at 175. Took it all off at the same time.

Old 12-01-2010, 08:50 AM   #7
energyzer
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigabyte View Post
Looks good! Tell us more about how you cooked it.
I guess the only other worthy comments about it is that I used PatioDiddio's turkey brine on it, then brushed it with EVOO, and then rubbed it with Yardbird both under the skin (breast) and on top of the skin. The legs were crazy good, Breast was ok. The whole thing was very juicy.

Old 12-01-2010, 09:05 AM   #8
bigabyte

After you brined it, did you let it rest and air dry in the fridge? That helps to let the skin and outer meat (which is thoroughly soaked after brining) to allow the moisture to redistribute throughout the bird, and the air drying in the fridge helps to dry the skin out a bit. Without this, the skin can really be too moist to get it anywhere near crispy.
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-01-2010, 09:15 AM   #9
energyzer
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigabyte View Post
After you brined it, did you let it rest and air dry in the fridge? That helps to let the skin and outer meat (which is thoroughly soaked after brining) to allow the moisture to redistribute throughout the bird, and the air drying in the fridge helps to dry the skin out a bit. Without this, the skin can really be too moist to get it anywhere near crispy.
That would be what I didn't do. I'll have to do that the next time. Thanks for the tip.

Old 12-01-2010, 11:18 AM   #10
BBQ PD
is one Smokin' Farker

I picked up a fresh turkey the other day at half price, BONUS! I just took it out of the brine, and I am air drying it in the fridge now. Later this afternoon, it's going in the BGE. This will be my first smoked turkey on the egg, so I'm really glad I read this thread. Report card at 11:00

CBJ, 15' custom BBQ trailer with a Backwoods Competitor, Pitts & Spitts off-set, & Santa Maria grill. Ole Hickory CTO, 1 BGE, 2 Weber kettles and 1 Smokey Joe, BWS Chubby, Sonoma gasser, and a BBQ store full of everything BBQ.
BBQ PD is offline   Reply With Quote