Started My First Off Set Build.

antny616

Reaction score
Started about three weeks ago with some stuff a bud gave me and this is what we have done so far. Fire box is complete except for the ash tray, door is on and fits very well. Plan to have the cooking grate and the chimney done on Sat. Gunna do some Black high temp powder coat with some candy red accents, should be cool.

Thanks for looking,

antny.

Attachments

• HPIM0870.jpg
    HPIM0870.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 180
  • HPIM0871.jpg
    HPIM0871.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 179
  • HPIM0872.jpg
    HPIM0872.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 179
Not that big. The pictures make it look bigger than it is. The fire box is 20" x 20" x 18" and the bottle is 24" round and just under 4 feet long.

The other day I tried a mod on my Bandera offset that I had seen somewhere - I lowered the exhaust pipe down until it was at the same level as the grates. I guess the idea was that the heat would fill up more of the chamber before exiting. Anyway, as it turned out, I lowered the pipe below the upper level of the firebox. It had the effect of choking out the fire and producing a lot of bad, white smoke. I had to keep the firebox open to allow the fire to burn properly. I reversed the mod and the smoker was back to normal.

The reason I bring this up is that the wall of your cook chamber blocks most of the fire box - you may find that you don't get the proper air flow because of this. If that happens, the fix would simply be cutting the opening up higher.

Of course, I may also be completely wrong about everything.

The other day I tried a mod on my Bandera offset that I had seen somewhere - I lowered the exhaust pipe down until it was at the same level as the grates. I guess the idea was that the heat would fill up more of the chamber before exiting. Anyway, as it turned out, I lowered the pipe below the upper level of the firebox. It had the effect of choking out the fire and producing a lot of bad, white smoke. I had to keep the firebox open to allow the fire to burn properly. I reversed the mod and the smoker was back to normal.

The reason I bring this up is that the wall of your cook chamber blocks most of the fire box - you may find that you don't get the proper air flow because of this. If that happens, the fix would simply be cutting the opening up higher.

Of course, I may also be completely wrong about everything.

We were just talking about that the other night. I think we are going to mount the exhaust stack at the same level as the hole in the fire box. I did leave room in the fire box if I need to make the hole bigger. I though if I need to I could cut some more vents in the side of the box as well. I guess we will see.

Thanks for looking, and for the advice.

We were just talking about that the other night. I think we are going to mount the exhaust stack at the same level as the hole in the fire box. I did leave room in the fire box if I need to make the hole bigger. I though if I need to I could cut some more vents in the side of the box as well. I guess we will see.

Thanks for looking, and for the advice.

Sounds like you have it under control. You'll know pretty quickly if you are getting stagnation due to poor air flow - and it looks like you have the skills to fix it.

Was the cook chamber a propane tank? How many gallons? 2x4 is just about the size I'd like to try someday.

By the way, if you lowered those rack guides a bit, you could probably fit a second set in there. Double your capacity.

Are you planning on putting in a baffle between the firebox and cook chamber? I had one in my Bar B Chef and it worked great, especially for the meats that were cooked closest to the firebox.

Back