MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-27-2011, 03:18 PM   #1
bbq boyee
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default What meat grinder should I get?

I'm looking at buying a meat grinder. I don't want to pay much more than 100 bucks. Do any of you have a grinder that you spent around a 100 bucks on and are ahppy with?
bbq boyee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-27-2011, 03:37 PM   #2
kyle corn
is one Smokin' Farker

Most of the grinders in the $100 range are made with plastic gears and are not meant for heavy duty use. If you'll only be using it infrequently then I would pick up something like the Waring Pro and just understand that after a while it will burn out. You could also get a hand cranked grinder if you don't mind putting a little effort into it. If you expect to use it more often then I really recommend you save up more for something from LEM (sold at Bass Pro Shops) or Cabelas, you'll be much happier in the long run.
kyle corn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-27-2011, 03:39 PM   #3
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

Name/Nickname : Tim

I have had the Sam Baere TS-110 for a couple of years.
Well built, reasonable power, and easy to clean.
Great unit.

I think it was a bit more than your desired limit--but a starting place to look around.

I use mine often and love it.

TIM

Old 12-27-2011, 03:43 PM   #4
Wrench_H
is One Chatty Farker

If you have a kitchenaid mixer, I always reccommend the grinder attachment for that. It only costs $49, and is fine for home use. If you are going to be using it really frequently, I would go another route, but if you don't know, $49 is about as cheap as it gets to find out. All that being said, if you are planning on stuffing as well, I would stear clear of the kitchenaid stuffer attachment.

CharGriller Smokin Pro, King Kooker Cast Propane Smoker, Smokey Joe Silver, Blue Mosaic Kamado, Traeger 075(Somehow I now have 2 of these), Weber Performer, BW Fatboy, Char Griller Akorn

Multiple Time [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/group.php?groupid=39"]Zero[/URL] Member

Try the [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86"]Throwdowns[/URL] - MMMMM...tastes like liquid crystal
Wrench_H is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-27-2011, 03:46 PM   #5
bbq boyee

I was looking at a cabelas one here at this link--------------> http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabel...h-All+Products

If you get a chance check it out and let me know what you think of it. Also was looking at this one: Amazon.com: Deni 3500 800-Watt Professional Grade Meat Grinder: Kitchen & Dining@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41KBJYyXfwL.@@AMEPARAM@@41KBJYyXfwL

I might add that I am planning on using this a fair amount. I don't butcher my own meat by any means and rarely am I lucky enough to kill something when I go hunting, but I imagine when I first get it I'll be using it quite a bit. I want to make my own bratwerst and polish sausages.

Old 12-27-2011, 03:48 PM   #6
BobBrisket

Name/Nickname : Bob

My Waring Pro has done the job for me. I only use it about 1-2 times a year and grind anywhere from 20-40 lbs of pork butt each time. I think I paid about that much for it at Lowe's about 4 years ago.
Amazon.com: Waring Pro MG100 Meat Grinder: Kitchen & Dining@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/4141LS36S4L.@@AMEPARAM@@4141LS36S4L
PBC-Courtesy of Poobah, 22.5 Weber Kettles-A, K, DR Stamped, 18.5 Weber Bar-B-Kettle Black and Red, Weber 18.5 Smokey Joe Platinum, Weber Genesis Silver, Lil' Chief Smoker, Discada Set Up,OKJ Highland Offset.
BobBrisket Jr.-MUDS, WSJ Silver
My BEST Compliment....."You're a good cooker, Dad!"--My Son :)
Miss You, Marty and Bull! RIP
BobBrisket is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 12-27-2011, 04:40 PM   #7
IamMadMan
somebody shut me the fark up.

Looking at cabella's the waring Pro grinder usually $99.00, selling refurbished models for $39.00...
IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-27-2011, 05:08 PM   #8
kyle corn
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamMadMan View Post
Looking at cabella's the waring Pro grinder usually $99.00, selling refurbished models for $39.00...

Woah, this looks like a great deal. I think we have a winner, I don't think you're going to do better than this at $40!

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Warin...h-All+Products

Old 12-27-2011, 05:14 PM   #9
bbq boyee

They are farkin' cheap but the reviews scare me.

Old 12-27-2011, 05:38 PM   #10
kyle corn
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbq boyee View Post
They are farkin' cheap but the reviews scare me.
Yeah, I just saw the Cabelas one you posted has much better reviews. I think anything under $200 is gonna be a crapshoot, however, because they're going to give you a pretty weak motor and plastic gears. If you try to put in too much meat and work it too fast you're going to snap the gears or fry the motor.

I bought my dad a cheap one for about $100 a couple years back. We opened it up and it just screamed CRAPPY so I took it back and spent the difference on the 1/4 hp LEM from Bass Pro Shops and we couldn't be happier. It has handled everything we've thrown at it. Of course it was about $240 so it's way over your budget.

Old 12-27-2011, 05:46 PM   #11
Limp Brisket
Full Fledged Farker

Here ya go.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...1267_200451267

Old 12-27-2011, 05:56 PM   #12
Brian in Maine
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limp Brisket View Post
I was just about to post that link myself. I've had one for a few years, and while I've only used it 3 times, it ground a couple pork butts in about 10 minutes. There were many folks on another forum that had this unit, and all of them liked it.

2 WSMs
2 OTG One red one black
22 1/2" black Bar-B-Kettle with rotisserie ring
Brinkman dual zone charcoal grill
Webber Silver Genises B
3 burner camp stove
Brian in Maine is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-27-2011, 07:42 PM   #13
chad
somebody shut me the fark up.

Check Northern Tools. Their grinder gets pretty decent reviews with guys that make quite a bit of sausage. I just bought their Kitchener 5# stuffer.

This 1/2 horse #12 is currently $99 and I've seen it lower and on occasion they have coupons. ((Just saw the previous posts!!))
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...1267_200451267

The Kitchen Aid grinder gets the job done but you are a bit limited on plate sizes. My next purchase is a #10 or #12 grinder.

"It's all about getting paid!" - Myron Mixon
"I love being hated in my hometown!" - David Hair

KingFisher Gator Rotisserie cooker (RIP), WSM (RIP), Stainless 5 burner with IR gas grill (RIP), Turkey Fryer, Weber JD Commemorative grill (RIP), Masterbuilt 40" insulated ELECTRIC smoker (new heating element),
Pit Boss Tailgater pellet pooper.
chad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-28-2011, 08:04 AM   #14
captndan
Quintessential Chatty Farker

The Kitchen Aid is a good choice for light duty. Or get one of the old style hand grinders and motorize it. Kits are available and should last a lifetime.
captndan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-28-2011, 08:06 AM   #15
Zak
Full Fledged Farker

I got the Northern Tool grinder for about $100 3-4 years ago and it's still going strong. It's not commercial grade but for home use it does great. I use it at least once a month for simply grinding chuck for a few burgers or for 20lbs of pork for sausage on occasion. I have a good amount of venison sausage making coming up soon and it'll handle it just fine. And if it does crap out, it's inexpensive to replace. I highly recommend it.
Zak is offline   Reply With Quote