First competition considerations

aarolar

Got Wood.
Reaction score
So I am considering doing my first competition on the 14th of next month, it is just a rib cook off amateur deal at a fall festival less than 30 mins from the house. Entry fee is only 75$ with a 600, 400, 200 and 100$ payout for the top four places with only 15 teams total. We also are allowed to sell pork plates for extra money.

So here's where I am at, having never done this before I am not sure what I am going to need. I can handle getting together what I need for smoking and seasoning the meat but I am unsure about what would be considered "safe food handling practices". People who are experienced in this please share with me pictures and advice on how you would handle selling the pork as far as displaying it and serving it.

My plan is to set up the night before and smoke several pork butts for sale then put the ribs on about 4-5 hours before turn in time.

Is there going to be any sort of health inspector/inspection? Most events will have a guideline you need to follow. I would check with the contest first to see if this is the case.

At the most basic, you need a way to keep the pork above 140 for serving, you'll probably need a hand washing station (water that has a constant flow, soap, a catch basin, and paper towels), maybe a 3 basin sink, gloves, hand sanitizer, and something to wipe the tables down (Clorox wipes, etc).

Is there going to be any sort of health inspector/inspection? Most events will have a guideline you need to follow. I would check with the contest first to see if this is the case.

At the most basic, you need a way to keep the pork above 140 for serving, you'll probably need a hand washing station (water that has a constant flow, soap, a catch basin, and paper towels), maybe a 3 basin sink, gloves, hand sanitizer, and something to wipe the tables down (Clorox wipes, etc).

Water will be provided by the event, what are some good ways to keep the pork at 140* if I don't have a warming box? No idea on health inspector I'll have to check on that.

You can always use a cooler or two. Get some aluminum pans to keep you ready to go sliced or pulled pork in and cover them with foil.

You can always use a cooler or two. Get some aluminum pans to keep you ready to go sliced or pulled pork in and cover them with foil.

How do you assure it stays at 140* in just a cooler how many hours would I have from when I pull it off the smoker before it gets too cool? I have the smoker in the shop now working on improvements and have considered a warming box but time is running close and I still need experimentation time on my rib method.

432578009_504.jpg

Get one of these (BJs, restaurant depot, Costco), sterno under the pan, hot water in the pan, put your meat in aluminum 1/2 steam table pans, wrap in HD foil, place in a cooler and wrap with a towel. They will keep surprisingly warm in the cooler and then when ready to serve, place them in the big steam table pan in the picture and the hot water underneath will continue to keep everything nice and hot.

For washing get 3 bus pans. One for soapy water, one for disinfecting/bleach water and one for rinse water. These are essential for competition.

144-21157cbr_large.jpg

Sam's Club also sells the wire rack things for the sternos as well as a 2 pack of grey bus tubs.

Also get some chicken broth and put some in your pork pans it helps keep the whole thing hot and doesn't change the flavor any and keep it covered and stir alot. Also after your pork is done cooking keep it whole as long as possible and in either the aujus or chicken broth. Pull or slice as needed. Keep your bread in a tub with a lid or it will get hard real quick as well.

Back