MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-31-2010, 03:58 PM   #1
Norm!
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default total noob ? here

Ok I'm doing my first packer brisket, It was 15 lbs before I trimmed the fat cap down. It was on the UDS at 8 am at 250f and held pretty much steady, the internal temps are already at 190f. it is near 2 oclock here now. thats only 6 hrs and I'm starting to worry, I have read the post that say its done when its done, use a probe slides like butta....so my question is, what do you use as a probe? I tried a butter knife, and then questioned should the blade be with or against the grain? I'm sure glad I can ask yall and thanks for the input!
Norm! is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-31-2010, 04:05 PM   #2
LMAJ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Hi Norm - I use my thermo as a probe. Check your temps in a few other places in your brisket - you may be in a fat pocket. Six hours seems pretty shoty for a 15 pounder.
1 Large BGE and table - 8/29/12
1300 Timberline 5/26/17
1 18.5 WSM
Super Fast BLUE and REDThermopen
1 - Fantastic hubby - the original Big Al
Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things. - Robert Brault
LMAJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-31-2010, 04:10 PM   #3
Kevin
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Lynn makes a good point Norm. Check that brisket in a few more places. I also use a temperature probe to check for "feel". What type of thermometer are you using to monitor your pit temp? If you've got a short stem thermo at the outer edge of your grate, the center grate temp could be quite a bit hotter than your thermo is reading.

Last edited by Kevin; 12-31-2010 at 04:10 PM.. Reason: sp
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-31-2010, 04:22 PM   #4
K I N G P I N
Full Fledged Farker

If you do not have a probe, use a kabob stick, metal or bamboo. It should slide in easily with vet little resistance when done.

WEBER SMOKEY MOUNTAIN
WEBER PERFORMER
FOUR SEASONS GASSER
Yellow thermapen
AKA-Crusty DippinTush

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...pinsgasser.jpg
K I N G P I N is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-31-2010, 04:23 PM   #5
Norm!

well ive got short stemmed thermos 3" at the side of the grate and at the dome lid (walmart cheapo lid) they do read a little low by 10 degrees when checked with boil water, the meat probes are maverick et-901, i have 2 of them 1 in the point and one in the flat, they are reading within a degree of each other, the 6 hours seems to short to me as well thats why I'm askin the pros!

Old 12-31-2010, 05:04 PM   #6
R2Egg2Q
is Blowin Smoke!

That seems pretty quick for a brisket that size cooking steadily at 250. The temp in the flat is more important than the temp in the point (particularly if you're going to cube the point and make burnt ends). Where did you stick the probe into the flat? I believe it should be inserted so the point of the probe ends up in the middle of the thickest part of the flat.

Lots of great info in Bigabyte's brisket tutorial.

BGEs: XL, Large, Small, Mini, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, MAK 1-Star General, Karubecue C-60, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA, Summit S-620 NG; custom BGE & Weber handles by brethren martyleach

[U][URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86"]CLICK HERE to join us in a BBQ Brethren Throwdown![/URL][/U]
R2Egg2Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-31-2010, 05:05 PM   #7
Smokin Mike
is One Chatty Farker

I would just take out the maverick probes, and start probing,if it goes in nicely, or close, wrap it up in foil, and stick it in a cooler, wrapped again with a old coat, or something. you can warm up the cooler with hot water for a while and take the water out.

letting the brisky hang out for hours will do nothing but make it more tender, and better.

sounds like you did a hot and fast to me, and didn't know it. I like briskets hot and fast, and starting to learn how to do them, I used to be a low and slow guy.
FEC-100's
KCBS, FBA Judge
Smokin Mike is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-31-2010, 05:18 PM   #8
Norm!

Im going to go probe it with a wooden big giant toothpick thing. If it easy...gonna wrap it up and let it sit in a ice chest, in the mean time the Fatty, sausage moinks, and smoke keep makin me too hungry!

Old 12-31-2010, 05:27 PM   #9
FretBender
Full Fledged Farker

Keep a log of what happened as far as temps, times, etc so next time you can compare. I keep a short log of almost every cook.

Old 12-31-2010, 05:45 PM   #10
Norm!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FretBender View Post
Keep a log of what happened as far as temps, times, etc so next time you can compare. I keep a short log of almost every cook.
That a great idea, I do that for my homebrewing! thanks for all the help!! this forum is the best!

Old 12-31-2010, 05:53 PM   #11
Norm!

one last question......is it easy to over cook a brisket?

Old 12-31-2010, 06:13 PM   #12
LMAJ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm! View Post
one last question......is it easy to over cook a brisket?
yeppers
1 Large BGE and table - 8/29/12
1300 Timberline 5/26/17
1 18.5 WSM
Super Fast BLUE and REDThermopen
1 - Fantastic hubby - the original Big Al
Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things. - Robert Brault
LMAJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-31-2010, 06:26 PM   #13
sitnfat
is one Smokin' Farker

how do you know the smoker temp was 250 I know on mine my gauge temp and actual grate temp are quite a bit differant about a 100 degrees so you may have been hotter than 250. I lightly trim my 14 pounders and at 275 they are done in about 7-8 hours

Old 12-31-2010, 06:45 PM   #14
Norm!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sitnfat View Post
how do you know the smoker temp was 250 I know on mine my gauge temp and actual grate temp are quite a bit differant about a 100 degrees so you may have been hotter than 250. I lightly trim my 14 pounders and at 275 they are done in about 7-8 hours

think I'm going to pull it, foil the flat, cut up the point and sauce it for a bit....the way it looks, with all the input it seems like my grate temp is way higher than I think....I appreciate all the help! thanks to all....I'll post the results tomorrow!

Old 12-31-2010, 11:51 PM   #15
mostwanted
Got Wood.

sounds to me like your temps were higher than what the thermometers were reading. With a 15lb brisket. If your thermometers are too close to the meat, you will get a lower temp reading. I use 3 thermmometers on my UDS: 1 3" probe between my cooking racks, 1 in the dome, and a mavrik somewhere away from the food on the upper rack. The only thermometer that I trust is the Tel-tru between the racks but if I got a full smoker it may not be accurate either. Usually, between the 3 I can get pretty close to my target temps.
mostwanted is offline   Reply With Quote